Problem logging onto some sites....getting the I am not a robot...click the traffic lights constantly

Kenny202

Been getting this on several sites (Lazada, Shopee etc) I have used and never had an issue. Comes up saying they have notice irregular activity or such and tick a box saying I am not a robot. Then get presented with the picture puzzles where you have to select stairs, traffic lights, bicycles etc. Its not a huge problem but annoying and made me think maybe there is an issue or tracker or something on my computer, though I have AVG virus installed and do regular scans. I do use a VPN sometimes but only seldomly and these picture puzzles come up when the VPN is off or not used for some time. Lazada particularly asks for verification every time I log on now. Anyone have any ideas? Seems odd

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Been getting this on several sites (Lazada, Shopee etc) I have used and never had an issue. Comes up saying they have notice irregular activity or such and tick a box saying I am not a robot. Then get presented with the picture puzzles where you have to select stairs, traffic lights, bicycles etc. Its not a huge problem but annoying and made me think maybe there is an issue or tracker or something on my computer, though I have AVG virus installed and do regular scans. I do use a VPN sometimes but only seldomly and these picture puzzles come up when the VPN is off or not used for some time. Lazada particularly asks for verification every time I log on now. Anyone have any ideas? Seems odd

I am afraid I don’t have any ideas; but I did think it was only me getting these messages - I am pleased to know I am not the only one.

I will take more notice of which sites are affected.

• Agree 1

Just now, hotandsticky said:

I am afraid I don’t have any ideas; but I did think it was only me getting these messages - I am pleased to know I am not the only one.

I will take more notice of which sites are affected.

I don't like the way the world is going to be honest. All our information out in cyber space floating around and even major platforms like google and FB getting hacked all the time. I got a virus program / company who send me more spam emails than the actual spammers, not to mention the continuous threatening notifications of how my information is exposed and need to upgrade (pay more) to get their add ons to protect myself. Things seem to have got much worse during covid...like when everyone wasn't paying attention. It feels like it has all gotten out of hand and no one is actually policing it

• Haha 1

Usually you get this kind of extra verification when trying to log in with different IP and/or device. Or, maybe, it could be some extra temporarily scrutiny by those websites that are experiencing abnormal traffic.

Might have to do with burgeoning AI. The number of actual robots out there may be on the rise. This may become the real problem associated with AI, rather than the stupid ethical stuff discussed in talk shows. Fancy having to complete a 2F verification in order to get into any website.

Yes also get them all the time..... Hate it often I cannot see the little picture and no idea it it is a car a bush a bus, if you get it wrong then another set comes up with more hard to see items bicycles, bridges, traffic lights 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

It's all Al Gore's fault. The Internet he invented is too small and getting close to full up, so companies are now putting these CAPTCHA thingmies at the front-end of websites to slow down the less quick fingered or the hunt-and-peck typists with bad eyesight (you know who you are), thus saving precious cloudspace for the likes of slick know-it-all professionals like me.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't like the way the world is going to be honest. All our information out in cyber space floating around and even major platforms like google and FB getting hacked all the time. I got a virus program / company who send me more spam emails than the actual spammers, not to mention the continuous threatening notifications of how my information is exposed and need to upgrade (pay more) to get their add ons to protect myself. Things seem to have got much worse during covid...like when everyone wasn't paying attention. It feels like it has all gotten out of hand and no one is actually policing it

last year i was hacked 2 times and had my entire account back home drained. bank fixed it but still to this day i have no online or telephone banking because of it. i have to go home to fix it. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thanks 1

It appears AI isn't terribly intelligent at all. My wife lists products on Facebook for sale...very innocuous kitchen utensils, home wares etc. No humans in the photos. Often the items are rejected due to sexual content or some other such nonsense. They give you a chance to have the post reviewed and it is knocked back again. So it seem they have superior AI bots checking the lower AI ding bots.....no human involvement. I am sure it is all about saving money and making things easier. Right. Was watching a program on military AI and how if one country is developing something their enemies need to also keep up. Drones, robots etc making decisions on targets to destroy...human or otherwise. They have all this stuff ready to go now. They have done tests where at least in a simulator, some of the worlds best fighter pilots would lose against an AI controlled fighter plane 100% of the time. The AI pilot has no fear and can make millisecond judgements. And who is programming these things? I don't see a lot of intelligent beings around these days...People with no hobbies or interests apart from shopping and endlessly scrolling through FB liking inane posts and hoping they will receive the same likes from others. Facebook fairy land, for many these days it is their reality. You only have to look at our world leaders and politicians and the state the world is in. Being a boat person I follow the weather quite a bit and with all their technology they can't seem to make a basic weather forecast these days. Was much more accurate 20-30 years ago when common sense, observation and experience were used rather than computer models. There was a story of an older, retired earth quake analyst coming in to the government office to warn them of an impending event. The younger guys in the office wouldn't have it because their sensors and computer models weren't predicting any issues. 3 days later there was a major quake and they asked the old guy how he knew....He said he saw all the birds flying away. How could AI predict that? One thing AI will never have is CS (common sense) . I recently bought a new TV and had to go through all this rigmorol creating an account, installing their app on my phone. Took me an hour just to able to use my TV. And god help you if you make a mistake entering your PW more than a couple of times and you are locked out. And as it turns out has no benefit to using the TV or anything else. Simply a way of them getting an app on your phone so they can send you endless spam and advertisements all day everyday and probably suck up your other information and buying habits.   

Anyway good to hear it is not only me having these issues. Way of the world these days

Edited by Kenny202

It started a few weeks ago with my login to Lazada too. Most likely it is from their own site. It's just an extra layer of protection (also for you) as probably a robot program might hack into our accounts and this extra klick is not possible by these programs. Don't worry about it... 

Besides, I don't have the traffic lights anymore, but only one click and a warning that there was detected unusual traffic (I use at least three devices to connect on Lazada). But annoyingly is that after I click, the page of Lazada disappears and I have to open it again. Do you have that too? It doesn't require logging in again, the tab just closes, I open it and it's ok.

Edited by Thaijack2014

5 hours ago, ignis said:

Yes also get them all the time..... Hate it often I cannot see the little picture and no idea it it is a car a bush a bus, if you get it wrong then another set comes up with more hard to see items bicycles, bridges, traffic lights 

I get exactly the same thing lol....I think there is often a little banner across the images you are supposed to be checking off and cant see them all anyway. And if you are supposed to tick any boxes with for stairs....does that also mean the box with a part of the handrail in it? And what happens if you have more than a few goes? do you get locked out?

Many of the online shopping sites have their own spam and pop ups now...so you go on to buy a few things....and all sorts of stuff and adverts popping up trying to get you to buy more stuff. So they already have you as a customer and actually make it more difficult for you to buy. I dunno, maybe it is just old guys who can't adapt to changes....like our parents were worried about the effect of too much TV? Maybe it will all work out ok. I hope so but it sure doesn't feel like it :-(

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I started a few weeks ago with my login to Lazada too. Most likely it is from their own site. It's just an extra layer of protection (also for you) as probably a robot program might hack into our accounts and this extra klick is not possible by these programs. Don't worry about it... 

Besides, I don't have the traffic lights anymore, but only one click and a warning that there was detected unusual traffic (I use at least three devices to connect on Lazada). But annoyingly is that after I click, the page of Lazada disappears and I have to open it again. Do you have that too? It doesn't require logging in again, the tab just closes, I open it and it's ok.

Get all sorts of quirks like that with Lazada. I also find if I am scrolling through several pages often the next page doesn't fully open up, or you go into a product details and you can't click on an item or click on different photos without refreshing the page. Their search function is dreadful also, even using Thai words. I find I get more hits for something I am looking for using Google search and using the Lazada results from Google. FB marketplace is no better either re searches. Using key words and few hits....and next day you see all the suggestions pop up with 20 things that were there all the time with the exact key words you searched but didn't hit in the results....All in an effort to direct you to what they want you to buy rather than what you actually want

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stoner said:

last year i was hacked 2 times and had my entire account back home drained. bank fixed it but still to this day i have no online or telephone banking because of it. i have to go home to fix it. 

You never had phone or internet banking and you or your account has been "hacked"??

Part of this "new" security feature is to avoid spam and spoofing programs or automated programs to not easily access your account. It could be generated also if this system detects different IP address' or unrecognized machines being used from normal machine or access. One thing that apparently also happens when you click the "you are not a robot" button is they can download you search history. so good and suspicious at the same time

Not much to add about CAPTCHAs.

Except that Lazada is most annoying about this.

Even when using from my home 3BB I randomly get "suspicious traffic". BS.

Some overseas sites won't allow Thai IP without CAPTCHA or not allow at all like Home Depot, USA.

https://www.homedepot.com/

Edited by KhunBENQ

46 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You never had phone or internet banking and you or your account has been "hacked"??

i had online banking etc. then i was hacked. so after that i had the bank deny any online access or phone in access. only my atm card has access to my account now other than actually going into the bank. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

i had online banking etc. then i was hacked. so after that i had the bank deny any online access or phone in access. only my atm card has access to my account now other than actually going into the bank. 

Do you know how you were hacked?

I can understand your fear that it could happen again but most people wouldn't be able to use their home banks without some sort of remote access.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Clear all cookies and cache. Restart browser. See if problem goes away after a captcha or two.

I've done all that several times. No effect. Form the replies looks like everyone is experiencing the same thing, must be standard protocol for some of these online sites now.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Clear all cookies and cache. Restart browser. See if problem goes away after a captcha or two.

Unlikely to help if related to IP address.

As @Crossy writes some IPs might be on a blacklist.

In this case more promising: power cycle the router or use a VPN.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unlikely to help if related to IP address.

As @Crossy writes some IPs might be on a blacklist.

In this case more promising: power cycle the router or use a VPN.

Yes, obviously assumes it's not related to IP address, and in fact sometimes it's not. Start simple, then do more if needed. 

2 hours ago, topt said:

Do you know how you were hacked?

I can understand your fear that it could happen again but most people wouldn't be able to use their home banks without some sort of remote access.

i think they got in through my email. i can remember clicking on a few emails that looked very legit (ut weren't) for some time before it happened. 

my atm card can still be used here. that's all i really need. i have a family member back home tied to my account now (sister) so she can goin and rep me for the meantime.

the bank at home did allow me to do multiple video conferences to sort it out though while it was happening.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Have you tried re-booting your router to get a new external IP address?

I sometimes have similar issues and upon checking at 

https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check 

find some of ToT's IPs have a lot of blacklist entries.

Get a new IP and all is good.

I do actually reboot my router regularly. Every now and then the connection slows down (fast True fiber connection) and it seems to kick start things again. I know nothing of routers so may be a crock.In any case had the issue probably a month or two now. Only certain sites. I log onto Lazada most days and it isn't a thing that comes and goes. Every log on has been met with a captcha thing.  Does simply rebooting your router give you a new address?

9 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Does simply rebooting your router give you a new address?

You can check your external IP here https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Turn off your router, make a coffee, turn back on. When it all wakes up check again.

You can also check for blacklists on the same site.