Renew passport in Australia

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You can renew your Australian passport while in Australia.  I would think that answer depends on how long you will be there for to allow 3-6 weeks for processing.

You can also renew it while in Thailand.   I did renew mine recently and surprisingly it took less than a month from Thailand.

Thanks , I will be in OZ for 2.5 months so plenty of time.  Will Immigration just look at the old passport for stamps ?

Renewal of Oz passport done only on line now, no more going to the post office, I think you can start the process at anytime

as the Que for new passports is a lengthy one owing to the millions of new comers who are too looking for new passports...

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Ken444 said:

Thanks , I will be in OZ for 2.5 months so plenty of time.  Will Immigration just look at the old passport for stamps ?

Obviously they will want to see what visa and stamps you have so as CharlieH mentioned, show both passports to immigration and visit immigration as soon as possible.

• Like 1

On arrival back to Thailand, present your new passport, with your old one, mentioning your re entry permit is in the old one, the officer will view both passports and your entry stamp will be in your new one.. I have done this....
I recommend visiting your immigration office as soon as possible to have your extension and re entry stamps transferred to your new passport.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Make sure you immediately check your entry stamp at the immigration booth so that you're sure the officer stamped you in for the proper amount of time (until expiration of your current extension).  If there's any error, politely tell the same officer of the problem and he/she should fix it right then.

• Like 1

I got this stamp in my old OZ pp when I applied in person in Thailand and got them to send my new PP to me. You don't really need to visit immigration straight away, I only did that when I applied for my new extension, Immigration do not know when you receive a new passport. 

But that was when you had to go to the embassy things may have changed.

cancelledPPstamp.thumb.jpg.27feb9351e7224120c35d360168e7d14.jpg

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Renewal of Oz passport done only on line now, no more going to the post office, I think you can start the process at anytime

as the Que for new passports is a lengthy one owing to the millions of new comers who are too looking for new passports...

How does a newcomer to Oz qualifying for passport, citizen first I thought? 

• Like 1

When i said new comers I meant those who puts in for their first passport and there're many, many of those

thanks to the Oz government who append the gate to just any flotsam and jetsam from countries that

only a while back any worthwhile Aussie would say No...

I renewed my Australian Passport last week in Oz.

I paid $550 for accelerated processing.

Filled out online, then went into a special Post Office for accelerated processing with my photos at 10am on Monday morning.

Received a text the next day on Tuesday about 10am saying the passport was ready to collect - if you get the app in before 12pm, you can usually get it the next day.

Edited by iaminwa
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I got this stamp in my old OZ pp when I applied in person in Thailand and got them to send my new PP to me. You don't really need to visit immigration straight away, I only did that when I applied for my new extension, Immigration do not know when you receive a new passport. 

But that was when you had to go to the embassy things may have changed.

cancelledPPstamp.thumb.jpg.27feb9351e7224120c35d360168e7d14.jpg

Most I imagine are done online now.

No trips to the Embassy are needed.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:59 AM, Ken444 said:

Can I renew my OZ passport while in Australia, my reentry permit and extension of stay will be on the old passport

Of course you can renew your Oz passport while in Oz. There are 10's of thousands of Aussies who do that each year.

On 1/26/2024 at 8:08 AM, steven100 said:

You can renew your Australian passport while in Australia.  I would think that answer depends on how long you will be there for to allow 3-6 weeks for processing.

You can also renew it while in Thailand.   I did renew mine recently and surprisingly it took less than a month from Thailand.

It does not take 3-6 weeks I just had mine renewed it only took a couple of days. 

Edited by still kicking
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:31 PM, bbi1 said:

Of course you can renew your Oz passport while in Oz. There are 10's of thousands of Aussies who do that each year.

Most responders have actually understood that I was referring to my visa stamps in my old passport being accepted by immigration on my return.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:41 PM, still kicking said:

It does not take 3-6 weeks I just had mine renewed it only took a couple of days. 

from oversea ... I find that very unrealistic and false ... the Australian embassy in Thailand does not renew Australian passports in a few days.   But believe what you like.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

from oversea ... I find that very unrealistic and false ... the Australian embassy in Thailand does not renew Australian passports in a few days.   But believe what you like.

thats not what he said is it, (in Aust.)But you knew that! 

On 1/27/2024 at 8:22 AM, iaminwa said:

I renewed my Australian Passport last week in Oz.

I paid $550 for accelerated processing.

Filled out online, then went into a special Post Office for accelerated processing with my photos at 10am on Monday morning.

Received a text the next day on Tuesday about 10am saying the passport was ready to collect - if you get the app in before 12pm, you can usually get it the next day.

Correct I did the same collected next day but only paid 460 

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Edited by still kicking
double post