Travel With Children Without Spouse

I have, on many occasions, brought my step son's son, who lives with my wife and I in Thailand, to Australia to visit with his dad. Most times I have his dad sign a letter, plus a signed copy of his passport, giving his permission for this to occur. Only one time have I ever needed to use the letter. Just today, armed with the letter, my grandson, now 11 years old, took it into his head to go through the automatic check-in by himself. Nobody stopped him. I questioned the immigration officer present who replied that if the boy is tall enough then that's OK. TIT

14 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

I have, on many occasions, brought my step son's son, who lives with my wife and I in Thailand, to Australia to visit with his dad. Most times I have his dad sign a letter, plus a signed copy of his passport, giving his permission for this to occur. Only one time have I ever needed to use the letter. Just today, armed with the letter, my grandson, now 11 years old, took it into his head to go through the automatic check-in by himself. Nobody stopped him. I questioned the immigration officer present who replied that if the boy is tall enough then that's OK. TIT

Because everyone knows that only short buys are taken out of the country without perdition. :tongue:

When my daughter was younger (American)  iI will take er with me all over the world, every time I did I had a notarized letter from her mom saying that it was Ok for me to do so. I was asked for it several times. 

I travelled from Thailand to UK with my Grandchild, different name.  I carried with me a Permission Letter, signed by both his parents and witnessed by a Lawyer and duly stamped. I was asked for it at UK Immigration, so it was a good move. No issues on the return flight