ePacket from Thailand, anyone got a wife or kid using it for e-commerce?

impulse

When in the USA, I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon and EBay that ships from China via ePacket.  The total cost of the goodies (including shipping) is often less than the cost of just shipping the same goodies from Houston to Dallas by regular post.  Thailand is signed onto the same postal treaty but I have never tried it from Thailand.

Does anyone have any experience (or wife or kids) using ePacket from Thailand in ecommerce?  No guesses.  Only folks with experience need reply.  And I have looked through the Thai Post ePacket website.  But I don't consider that to be reliable, comprehensive info.

I have some Thai friends that I'd like to help set up some e-commerce to supplement their income with some Thai products that sell for a lot more in the USA than in local markets.  But profitability would depend on cheap shipping in small quantities.

And no, it's not weed or kratom.

Yes. It works well. However, US postal system is sometimes lazy. Sometimes they do not scan the final delivery which may result in sender losing money due to "non delivery". But, most of the time it works very well.

Your much bigger problem is that e-packet from Thailand to USA is not cheap. Supplements depending on packaging may be heavy. Online shoppers go for cheapest options and China delivery prices can not compare to prices in Thailand. I stopped doing direct shipping 10 years ago as even then prices were too high. Now I only do drop shipping from reliable merchants. There is simply no other way you can make money online right now unless you live in China or US.

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Online shoppers go for cheapest options and China delivery prices can not compare to prices in Thailand.

True that.  I wouldn't suggest they compete head to head with a product that can be found in China.  But there are some OTOP and other Thai-centric products that have no equal from China.    Genuine Thai fisherman pants are one example.  Look them up on Amazon and the selection is awful.  They only last a few dozen washings and I suspect a lot of tourists may order them, just for the nostalgia.  But cheap shipping is the key...

Thanks for the info!

Edited by impulse

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

True that.  I wouldn't suggest they compete head to head with a product that can be found in China.  But there are some OTOP and other Thai-centric products that have no equal from China.    Genuine Thai fisherman pants are one example.  Look them up on Amazon and the selection is awful.  They only last a few dozen washings and I suspect a lot of tourists may order them, just for the nostalgia.  But cheap shipping is the key...

Thanks for the info!

I have been selling on Amazon since it was called Amazon auctions. I tried selling fisherman pants in 2003 when market saturation was much lower. I did not sell 1 pair. This market is way oversaturated. Most of the sellers on Amazon selling these overpriced pants are running ads which cost a lot more than standard 18% amazon fee. 

As for Amazon itself, it is extremely hard to get approved to sell on this platform. Yes, your prices can command a premium, but Amazon these days has so many rules and regulations that many sellers get booted by Amazon bots when they do nothing wrong. The approval process is painful. They can hold your profits indefinitely until THEY feel safe to release them.... often never if they decide your product does not meet their terms.  Selling supplements on Amazon would be automatic no go.

Ebay and other platforms are also oversaturated with many products. Chinese these days import everything from Thailand. I find Thai products on Shopee shipped from Malaysia cheaper than from Thai sellers. The online marketplace is insane and to even start getting noticed you would need to learn about running ads which can be costly.

This is just a word of warning because many Thais think it is so simple to sell overseas because Americans have money. Yes, they do and they were always my best customers, but for a Thai to make a profit would take a miracle.

15 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I have been selling on Amazon since it was called Amazon auctions. I tried selling fisherman pants in 2003 when market saturation was much lower. I did not sell 1 pair. This market is way oversaturated. Most of the sellers on Amazon selling these overpriced pants are running ads which cost a lot more than standard 18% amazon fee. 

Truth be told, the reason I tossed out fisherman's pants on Amazon is because that's not what I plan...  That, I'm holding a little closer to the vest.  But it does illustrate why I would need cheap shipping.

I appreciate the input, especially from someone who's been there and done that.  Thanks again.

Sadly, my favorite idea is already being done:

https://www.amazon.com/Phallic-Phallus-Buddhist-Blessing-Paladkik/dp/B016D68B8C

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Use jt several times a week ever since it began.

Using my example of fisherman's pants to the USA, any idea of the cost and delivery time?  Probably 500g in a 25cm x 25cm envelope...

Any strange formalities that would derail the process?  Like certificates of origin, need to show a business license, etc?

Edited by impulse

On 1/27/2024 at 12:16 PM, Celsius said:

As for Amazon itself, it is extremely hard to get approved to sell on this platform. Yes, your prices can command a premium, but Amazon these days has so many rules and regulations that many sellers get booted by Amazon bots when they do nothing wrong. The approval process is painful. They can hold your profits indefinitely until THEY feel safe to release them.... often never if they decide your product does not meet their terms.  Selling supplements on Amazon would be automatic no go.

Ebay and other platforms are also oversaturated with many products. Chinese these days import everything from Thailand. I find Thai products on Shopee shipped from Malaysia cheaper than from Thai sellers. The online marketplace is insane and to even start getting noticed you would need to learn about running ads which can be costly.

This is just a word of warning because many Thais think it is so simple to sell overseas because Americans have money. Yes, they do and they were always my best customers, but for a Thai to make a profit would take a miracle.

If you are a business minnow swimming with Amazon sharks I am not surprised that you would not be allowed to make any profit.

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

Using my example of fisherman's pants to the USA, any idea of the cost and delivery time?  Probably 500g in a 25cm x 25cm envelope...

Any strange formalities that would derail the process?  Like certificates of origin, need to show a business license, etc?

Between 550 baht and 650 baht approx.

2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, retarius said:

If you are a business minnow swimming with Amazon sharks I am not surprised that you would not be allowed to make any profit.

As I stated, neither fisherman's pants nor Amazon are in my actual plans.  But they are close enough that any info about ePacket will be applicable.

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Between 550 baht and 650 baht approx.

2-3 weeks.

That's disappointing, because I ordered a bunch of Amazon and EBay goodies from China where the entire cost, product and shipping combined, was less than $10.  Sometimes as low as $2.  Had me scratching my head...

Thanks for the info...

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's disappointing, because I ordered a bunch of Amazon and EBay goodies from China where the entire cost, product and shipping combined, was less than $10.  Sometimes as low as $2.  Had me scratching my head...

Thanks for the info...

like I said no one can match china shipping rates 

a few years back when ebay Thailand started getting bigger they seemed to offer some kind of volume merchant deal with DHL. when I went to DHL to ask about it they of course did not have a clue.

now I just use fastship. it's not cheaper than Thailand post, but it is much cheaper for courier services such as UPS and Fedex

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

like I said no one can match china shipping rates 

What frosts my pumpkin is that the USPS incurs expenses schlepping those packages around the US, subsidizing Chinese suppliers.  Great for me because I get stuff cheap.  Not so good for US businesses that should be selling me stuff.  Or Thai suppliers who can't come close to competing.

One more fidiot treaty our globalist bureaucrats signed.

Rant over.

4 minutes ago, timendres said:

Currently out of stock.... maybe that market needs more supply.

I'm waiting to see what the new price is.

Really, I haven't bothered doing a search to see how many other vendors on Amazon and EBay are selling them.  Maybe on a slack day...

Recently used e-packet to send a motorcycle sprocket from Thailand to UK.... just under 1 kg,  cost 865 bht, delivered in about 14 days.   Royal Mail Tracking picks it up eventually, and you get photo confirmation of delivery on their website.

Can't comment for delivery to other countries.

Prices charged in 100 gr increments, and max of 2kg to most destinations (except UK which is 5kg)

Official prices & conditions attached.

Thai Post e-packet.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, impulse said:

around 595 (of course, thats weight-dependent) that includes a 30bt insurance if you want it, if you do ask for "epacket plus"

Delivery times ultimately depend on final address, as some can be in remote areas. In my experience, it rarely goes beyond 15 days, generally between 10-14 days.

Only formality is the green declaration that has to be affixed to the front, stating what it is and its value.

• Like 1