Scam

colinwilkes

I've come across one case of an 'expat' scamming people in such a fashion - he reportedly robbed around £80K from one victim.

Well the old advice 'if a deal sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is' ought to prevent any of us from being such a victim.

However, 'Expat's claiming to be making amaizing deals/profits' not I think the stuff of scam artists, rather the stock in trade of Walter Mitty's sitting on a bar stool giving voice to their dreams.

Has anyone heard about this? Expats pretending they are involved in share dealing and have a legit company, when its all really a scam.... CW :o

scams are world over matey boy, not just here!

a fool and his money!!!!!!

some people here, however, make it easy for them!!

They're out there, OP, didn't you know?

Never forget, most of the Thai scams were learnt from farangs in the first place.

oh really?

if in doubt employ a lawyer not your girlfreind, or dont do the deal ;as said a fool and his money , :o

If folks try to scam other folks back at home why wouldnt they try the same in another country ?

I dont see the diference there mate -same old story .

If anything you have to be more cautious than ever :o

Totally agreed. What's the big deal? Unless you thought that farangs are all saints.

Has anyone heard about this? Expats pretending they are involved in share dealing and have a legit company, when its all really a scam.... CW :o

The biggest scammers in Thailand are your own - if itsboiler room you are talking about its so obvious

Financial Advisors in Thailand - snake oil salesman to a man

a notch below real estate guys

The scams I have seen and heard about in Thailand appear to be copied from outside the country. Maybe they dont have the orginality to come up with their own.

I think youll probobly find they wernt, "COPIED from outside" as much as BROUGHT from outside!

cop un cap!

:o

funfun,My fault I forgot, that here, the scams, cd's, medicines, movies, etc etc are not copied, but since they were BROUGHT in from outside, they can be reproduced and used again and again.

no, no, its not your fault its mine!,

i should have pointed out to you the scam in the original post, wasnt on about petty copy cds etc it was about sharedealing, so please accept my appology!

:o

Hi colinwilkes.

quertz started a thread on "streetsmarts" and the range and complexity of scams out here are pretty awesome. My advice has and will always be "don't trust anybody until proven otherwise".

By the way the name you are using is familiar, so I sent you a PM, no scam attached honest guv!

Boiler rooms operated in the 90's and early this decade a lot out of BKK and Manila.. Often targetting Singaporean expats and Australia / NZ by cold calling..

I have in my time come across a few people who were in the scam for years.. Many of them now involved in timeshare.. Tells me all I need to know about timeshare.

If your stupid enough to think that farangs won't try to rip you off just because you are a farang....then you deserve to get ripped off.

do you sell cars for a living?

:D

HAHA....no...but I use to be an army recruiter. I think thats in the same category. Maybe worse. :o

Scamming appears to be very prominant in LOS, probably because we here more about them visa forums like thai visa.

A diving-buddy of mine got a burned for a few thousand sterling.

The scam was the old, gain trust and get em to 'Buy vehicles and stick it in my wifes name' scam. He stole the vehicles purchased and moved location (no forwarding address etc) while my buddy was away from LOS.

I investigated the fat fcker and got photos and details posted on a few popular sites.

(PM me and I'll name and shame his ass so others are aware...)

So yeah scamming does go on but just be careful who you deal with and if in doubt, don't commit a satang to anyone with white skin.

Best policy is to be a solo operator on any business dealings unless your in tight with 'em.

Boiler rooms operated in the 90's and early this decade a lot out of BKK and Manila.. Often targetting Singaporean expats and Australia / NZ by cold calling..

I have in my time come across a few people who were in the scam for years.. Many of them now involved in timeshare.. Tells me all I need to know about timeshare.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything about timeshares.