Fake designer goods valued over 10 million baht seized in Phuket

snoop1130

MGROnline-5-768x453.jpg

Police have confiscated over 500 counterfeit items valued over 10 million baht from shops in Patong. The Phuket Express reports that officers were acting on a complaint from a company that sells genuine branded goods from designers such as Gucci, Alexander McQueen, Adidas, and Balenciaga.

Police raided 4 shops along Patong’s Rat Uthit 200 Pi Road on Sunday, January 28, and seized over 500 fake designer items, totalling over 10 million baht in damages for the brands in question.

According to the Phuket Express report 3 Thai nationals, and an undisclosed number of other nationals, were arrested.

By Peter Roche

Caption: PHOTOS: MGR Online

Full story: Phuket GO 2024-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Some of the genuine  bags are 500 000 Baht new 

These are just copies, and the vendors would rarely tell you otherwise, it's the copyright logos that upsets the designers.

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Some of the genuine  bags are 500 000 Baht new 

If these fakes were not available, would the buyer of such a fake buy the original?

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

They wouldn't , no

Yup, and so a real bag having a price tag of 500k doesn't mean there's 500k damage due to a fake one for 500 baht being sold. That was my point because the article claimed there was 10M damage from 500 items and I find that unrealistic.

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Strange I see lots of markets in Phuket have fake designer goods and have operated openly for decades 😊

Very true, and I have seen this here in Patong since I came here 17 years ago, and nothing has changed.

However I got an insight into why nothing has changed because the Thai/Chinese guy who lived opposite me in a large house used to bring in these fake goods from overseas (read China) and distribute them to the small shops around Patong, and he made no secret about it, and more to the point on many occasions I saw several of the BIB sitting drinking with him in his garden, and they seemed friendly enough.

So if certain members of the "law enforcement" are receiving "gifts" from the importer and distributor of these fake goods, then it's never going to stop. Furthermore, once these shops had been raided by the BIB, then they would still need to sell goods and that's where the importer/distributor came into it because he could restock them, therefore doubling his turnover – – a cunning plan!