Trip to SCB before Non-O Extension (New Passport)

I will be renewing my 1 Year Non-Immigrant (O) extension based on Marriage next week, but I decided to head in to SCB and have them update my bank account to reflect the new Passport i got back in September. I wanted to make sure that when I go to the bank early in the morning next week, that there wouldn't be any hiccups when getting my bank letters for the extension. When I entered, I handed them my New Passport, My Pink ID, and my bankbook. After looking up my account, they stated they did not need the new passport, as my account is linked directly to my Pink ID card, there is no passport in their system for me. Hoping this same scenario happens when I go to renew my drivers license this spring/summer.

According to my local DLT office, Phetchabun, the Pink Card/Yellow Book ID No cannot be used for your driving license only your passport no can be shown, your office may be different of course, TIT, good luck.

Also my local SCB branch used my passport and not my pink card for my accounts so every time I do anything in branch I must have my passport with me, not sure if local rules or not.

7 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

According to my local DLT office, Phetchabun, the Pink Card/Yellow Book ID No cannot be used for your driving license only your passport no can be shown, your office may be different of course, TIT, good luck.

Also my local SCB branch used my passport and not my pink card for my accounts so every time I do anything in branch I must have my passport with me, not sure if local rules or not.

My first hint was when I upgrade my phone last year to an S23 Ultra, I moved the SCB app to my new phone, and when it said enter Passport# or Thai ID, I entered my passport and it didn't work, so I tried my Pink ID and was able to move the app to the new phone. The DLT must be different here in Nonthaburi, both my Vehicle License and Motorcycle license (both have already been renewed once already) show my Pink ID number, so here's to hoping things go as planned 😉

Edited by lordgrinz

17 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

17 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

After looking up my account, they stated they did not need the new passport, as my account is linked directly to my Pink ID card, there is no passport in their system for me.

Might be different in different parts of Thailand.

Where I live I can use my Yellow House Book/Pink ID-card for drivers license at the Land Transport Office, but my SCB-bank branch insists on using my passport; so does my Bangkok Bank-branch.

When applying for extension of stay the passport-number would normally be required in the letter from the bank, at least by the immigration office where I live.

It depends on the ID you first used to open a bank account or obtain a driving licence.

19 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

I was told the same at my local DLT. My name is also in English only, yet other foreigners who have been issued their DL from the same transport office have their names in both English and Thai and some have their Thai ID number, not the Passport number.

The bank huffed and puffed when I obtained a new passport.

I get the impression they don't like change, it causes work.

40 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It depends on the ID you first used to open a bank account or obtain a driving licence.

I was told the same at my local DLT. My name is also in English only, yet other foreigners who have been issued their DL from the same transport office have their names in both English and Thai and some have their Thai ID number, not the Passport number.

The bank huffed and puffed when I obtained a new passport.

I get the impression they don't like change, it causes work.

If banks, DLT, et al, would all use the pink card/yellow book number (which is an official government ID No), they wouldn't have any extra work to do when passports, etc., are renewed. This also applies to the likes of store cards e.g. Big C

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

If banks, DLT, et al, would all use the pink card/yellow book number (which is an official government ID No), they wouldn't have any extra work to do when passports, etc., are renewed. This also applies to the likes of store cards e.g. Big C

If you've been issued a Thai ID number, I fully agree, but you're applying simple logic as a solution ........... you must be an alien.

My branch of Bangkok Bank informed me I could use my Thai ID number as proof of the account holder, but then all my transactions and statements would be in Thai.
How true that is, I don't know.

15 hours ago, Liquorice said:

If you've been issued a Thai ID number,

I've had my Thai ID number for 22 years (pink card less as they initially were not issuing them to Westerners), and by the way in Thailand we're all aliens ID no or not.