Bank Certificate for Extension Based On Retirement

I can't find anything online that says specifically what this letter from the bank is supposed to say for Immigration. Is there a template somewhere? I am afraid the bank might give me something that doesn't satisfy the IO. (note: this is for 800,000bht option requirement). Thanks in advance.

This is an image from the poster on the wall at Chaengwattana Bangkok Bank showing the letter (which can be in thai or engrish)

It is just a simple letter stating the account, your name (sometimes your passport number) and the balance of the account the date you got the letter.

sample bank letter.jpg

• Like 1

It is not rocket science.  Standard charge for this letter is 100 baht.  I got another just last week to do my extension.

I hold fund in an FCD so my letter all includes conversion of my balance into THB.  But I assume you are using a THB account.

Also don't forget that you nee 12 month bank statement for that account also. And your bank book.

Op, you need to know what your immigration office wants from the bank.

a letter sure they all do, and maybe 12 months of statements.

even doing the 800,000 in the bank method,

some offices want statements as well.

you need to check.

Edited by quake
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, setbkk said:

Go to bank. Ask for "letter for immigration". Easy.

not so easy. When TMB and Thanachart bank merged all the TMB staff at our local branch were replaced with ttb staff, and the staff turnover is never ending. Every year since the merger I encounter the same issue. The staff, including the branch manager, have NFI what the bank guarantee letter is and have to telephone ttb head office for information. A process that should take 5 minutes takes almost 1 1/2 hours. These people have no clue about templates. Fortunately I've kept a copy of last years letter, so hopefully will not have to go through this bank incompetence again this year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, setbkk said:

Go to bank. Ask for "letter for immigration". Easy.

You'd think so wouldn't you? I tried three or four times at my bank (both at my local branch and the one next to the IMO in CM ) and only finally got it right in the end. I needed a single page with dates and amounts of forreign trasnfers over the last 12 months. Despite saying "I need this for immigration" this turned out to be Rocket Science for the unamed (begins with a "B" which is also a capital city) bank staff

3 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I needed a single page with dates and amounts of forreign trasnfers over the last 12 months

That is completely different statement to what the OP is asking about. 

You are referring to "credit advice" for income method.

The bank letter the thread is about is simple confirmation you owner of the account and balance on day the letter is issued.

Examples of the letter were posted earlier in the thread.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

completely different statement to what the OP is asking about. 

So what? The information is still valid and is an example of how bank staff do NOT understand immigration requirements.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:09 AM, scoutman360 said:

I can't find anything online that says specifically what this letter from the bank is supposed to say for Immigration. Is there a template somewhere? I am afraid the bank might give me something that doesn't satisfy the IO. (note: this is for 800,000bht option requirement). Thanks in advance.

The banks will normally know it, when you ask for a bank letter to immigration for retirement extension. Both the banks I use – Bangkok Bank and SCB – have templates in the system. They will also provide the needed account statement. The fee use to be 100 baht for the letter and 100 baht for each account statement ("each" in case you need more than one account to show your 800k baht).

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

The banks will normally know it, when you ask for a bank letter to immigration for retirement extension. Both the banks I use – Bangkok Bank and SCB – have templates in the system. They will also provide the needed account statement. The fee use to be 100 baht for the letter and 100 baht for each account statement ("each" in case you need more than one account to show your 800k baht).

Thanks. Since you mentioned the bank statements, I always download monthly statements off their website. Would the IO accept those? Or must it be some kind of certified copy printed by the bank?

4 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Would the IO accept those? Or must it be some kind of certified copy printed by the bank?

Most likely not.

You need bank statements from the bank. 

Many banks can do it on the spot but does take time.

Perhaps an hour. 

Notable exception is Bangkok Bank where 12 month statement can take few days. 

17 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Thanks. Since you mentioned the bank statements, I always download monthly statements off their website. Would the IO accept those? Or must it be some kind of certified copy printed by the bank?

Thanks for your reply.

To my knowledge it must come from the bank – together with a signed photocopy of the bank book showing an update same day as applying for extension of stay – but different immigrations offices have slightly different local rules, so might it be different where you stay.