Do ==You== Miss the Zombie Life of Your Youth?

How old are you?

Are you old enough to have been young enough to have appreciated, enough, the Zombies?

1964 in the USA was a golden age, for sure.

Where were YOU in 1964?

Was your mother even born then?

For some reason, the YouTube algo just coughed up this number:

And, so, so many memories flooded in.

Regards,

Note:  1964 was a very good year....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

10 yrs old (1964) and yea, remember the Zombies.  My father's ex-boss (mafia - when he played bookie), were the rich folks in the neighbor with all the new toys & monthly pool parties for adult & kids.  With everything & anything new.

Along with my father working at record company, I think at Glen Mills.

Plus my brother was 7 years old, and into Bandstand & Jerry Blavat/Geator with the Heater, and him & buddy were regulars.  So I got exposed to all the very early stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Personally, I love zombies of all kinds.

Still, some, the youth, are obsessed with zombies, these days, and, I am not that far into zombies as they.

Probably too much of the brown acid.

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Personally, I love zombies of all kinds.

Still, some, the youth, are obsessed with zombies, these days, and, I am not that far into zombies as they.

Some years back, I highlighted that the zombie apocalypse had started, centred on Nana Plaza. The wise amongst us may be able to ignore the apocalypse until its inevitable finale, but for the weak-willed amongst us, I suggest you invest in blinkers, blindfolds, welders’ helmets and whatever else you need to ignore the next moment apocalypse.

On a similar theme:

- One dinosaur said to the other, on the approaching meteorite “Are you not upset about our up on Ng extinction?”

”No; we saw it coming long enough, but it’s not global warming: it’s not as if there was anything we could’ve done to prevent it”

• Confused 2

I had the great fortune of living in New York City for the entire 1980s and into the early '90s. It was a golden era in New York, the city was coming up from a terrible time in the 70s, and things were really vibrant and alive. Lived in huge lofts downtown, for $2000 a month! (They are now $15,000 and up, per month). Needless to say, when you brought a woman back to a space like that, you got a strong reaction. Always very positive!

The nightlife was amazing, I was into the club scene back then, and of course I was much younger. The ratio of single available straight women to single available straight men was seven to one. It was absolutely ridiculous, like fishing for salmon in Scotland or Alaska. I had a lot of gay friends at the time and they would invite me these incredible loft parties (I guess I was the designated straight friend) where there were 200 people, and 130 were women. Maybe 70 guys, and typically only two straight men in the entire loft, and I was one of them! It was insane. Alot of the women were supermodel types, as they love their gay friends. They were totally open with me, would give me a bear hug and a kiss when meeting me, as they assumed I posed no threat! Ha! Needless to say those those kind of parties resulted in a very good time. Sometimes, I would have to prove to these women, that I was straight, as they could not believe a straight man would want to hang out with their gay friends!

The fashion was horrible back then, and with the exception of Warhol, Basquiat, Mapplethorpe, Kiefer, and Richter, not much great artwork. But red and white Burgundy was cheap, and so were the other great wines of the world. Rents were low, properties were affordable, the standard of living was good, the politicians were less toxic, there was no social media, and the world felt like a better place.

That was really a glorious era, and I look back on it with a lot of fondness.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, RayWright said:

If you like British Literature and Zombies, then highly recommend the 2016 British flic, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Screenshot_20240202-150353_Chrome.jpg.fdecb24c3d470e966f1a1dbd095f4b34.jpg

If you like your Guy Ritchie Cockney caper movies, then give 2012 Cockneys vs Zombies a go. You'll recognise quite a few familiar faces.

Theme song by Chas and Dave, what's not to like?

Screenshot_20240203-110645_Chrome.jpg.825141d6cb8b2f7948e4beb25f7125b9.jpg

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Those were the days of 

Mary Tyler Moore show

THAT Girl 

What's that show with the Diner ...Mel's Diner? At the airport

Taxi 

Cheers 

Welcome back kotter

Show with Mel's Diner is Alice. Kiss my grits was a catch phrase. Not at an airport though. That might be Wings. 

She's not there before I was born but good song. There's a good thing on Youtube where they take the 60's UK music month by month and look at new releases and reviews and goings on - sounds boring but not. Name of Yesterday's Papers. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I know when I finish up, I provide many ladies with the Zombie, now that's another story not for this forum.

In '64, I was 11, and hoping the stupid Beatles would go away.

Early Motown, Early James Brown, New Orleans Rhythm and Blues -they crushed it all like a tank. They worshipped Chuck Berry too, but that didn't stop them from quickly rendering him to history's trash heap.

My mother had a mob boyfriend who would bring me a bag of singles each week from his money laundering juke boxes (why the juke box was invented, really). I'd get a lot of Vic Damone and Sinatra in the mix too. Histrionic Vicky Carr and Frank remain high in my esteem, but once I heard JB, I was gone from crooner-dom for good. 

Said my mother's paramour whenever he came over: "Get that sweaty <deleted> off the record player and put on The Sound Of Music".

Edited by Prubangboy

I had a fairly miserable childhood. I was singled out by kids because I was different. I spent most of my time in a shell I constructed.

It was only later in life I realized I could wipe the floor with most people in terms of skills and focus.

I don't miss my youth at all. I probably miss my fifties, when I was at my peak in the field I chose.