Fitting Android Auto screen

Hi there
I have two Hondas, a 2003 CRV and a Jazz iDSL. The CRV especially has very low mileage, it’s like,driving a new car. So I don’t need anything new or expensive, but I am willing to update things like fitting an AV screen and fit a rear view camera. I did this when I bought the CRV with a 7 inch screen.
Fact is this now seems to be out of date, so I would now like to fit a 9 inch screen to make navigation easier.
I went to a very good shop near the train station yesterday.
It seems that to accommodate a larger screen they can fit a frame made for the model in question. (I’ve not been able to find the frame adaptors advertised…..anyone seen them?)

I am just wonder8ng if instead of paying a total of about 5500 for each car quoted for the device, the frame, and the camera, I could get my components from Lazada or similar. Fitting I could probably manage myself but rather not, so I’d like someone to do that. 
if it was easy, could I still use the 7 inch screen fitted to the CRV with some sort of add-on hardware or software?

Lastly I’m not sure what these things are called…..is it Android Auto system? Or system AV? Would that be "Rabob Android Auto" in Thai.
I use both Mac (iPad) and Android (phone) and I think some at least of these devices will accommodate both from their ads. Am I right?

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I highly recommend the ATOTO brand of Android units, if there is one for your car. You don't even need Android Auto then, although it is still an option.

The problem with Android Auto for me is that the wireless pairing is flaky, depending on the phone and head unit (2022 Fortuner with a Samsung Galaxy S21 does NOT work, for example).

Had an ATOTO unit in the Pajero before that and it was a dream. The only reason I've not installed one in the Fortuner yet is that I've not yet found a model that supports the 360 degree camera.

Had never heard of ATOTO before, knew they were Chinese and was expecting low quality, low features. I was very wrong. Bought mine from Amazon US although I also believe they sell direct from their website. I used a USB dongle and a True sim to give the ATOTO head unit fully internet access totally independent from my phone, but you could use the phone as a hotspot and do away with the need.

Android Auto is kind of OK, but having to use the phone, for me at least, is an inferior option than having all the features built into the head unit. You can also install pretty much ANY Android app, whereas what you can do with Android Auto is very limited (full screen video when stuck in traffic... Netflix, ODB2 connection to car diagnostics and a zillion other things).

a first class answer.

you might say ATOTAL answer

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, cheeryble said:

a first class answer.

you might say ATOTAL answer

You're welcome. There are plenty of other brands, but ATOTO is the only one I have personal experience with.

Here are a couple of others that I'm giving consideration to for my Fortuner, so long as I lose none of the (very few) features of the OEM head unit.

Good luck.

https://www.belsee.com/belsee-tesla-style-vertical-touch-screen-car-radio-replacement-android-auto-head-unit-stereo-upgrade-for-toyota-fortuner-2016-2023.html

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a noname model, which is working fine, but there are surely better ones on the market. The important thing for me, is that it has its own SIM card. Google maps is essentiel when driving in Bangkok. Data only SIM card is around 1500 a year if I remember correctly. 

So make sure it has the SIM option.