While Living in Thailand, how do you "Make Merit"?

Just curious concerning the various ways members here Make Merit while living in Thailand?

What is your favorite way to Make Merit?

Making Merit is crucial to a happy life in Thailand, not to mention our hopes to live a happy life in the next life?

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  I realize that many here do Make Merit, and I want to know the best ways.

(Please note:  The question marks in the Topic are typos.  I will replace my defective keyboard, very soon.  But, I will not purchase on Lazada.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

Just now, jvs said:

Most people i see making merit make sure others see how good they are.

Real merit is treating people with respect and dignity.

It is not giving money to a temple in full view but helping people anonymously.

Still, in all seriousness, allowing others to see one's good deeds while in Thailand is a good thing.

Not only in Thailand, but also in Japan.

In order to become an accepted member of village life in Japan, it is necessary to do good deeds for the village community.

There is nothing wrong with this, and a lot right with this, I believe....

• Agree 1

I usually get stopped in the shopping malls by people collecting for charities such as orphans, deaf, blind or elephant farms. I donate money, but politely decline the goods they offer in return.

There is a very old woman who I encounter occasionally, walking the road between my GF's village and her home village. Compared with her face, a prune is as smooth as a baby's bum. She goes between villages to help with funerals, for which she is paid in food. Every time I see her, I stop and give her 100 baht. She is delighted, every time. I can't understand a word she says.

I suppose helping people who are less fortunate than me might be making merit, but I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I usually get stopped in the shopping malls by people collecting for charities such as orphans, deaf, blind or elephant farms. I donate money, but politely decline the goods they offer in return.

There is a very old woman who I encounter occasionally, walking the road between my GF's village and her home village. Compared with her face, a prune is as smooth as a baby's bum. She goes between villages to help with funerals, for which she is paid in food. Every time I see her, I stop and give her 100 baht. She is delighted, every time. I can't understand a word she says.

I suppose helping people who are less fortunate than me might be making merit, but I don't know.

Making Merit is an integral feature of the culture in Thailand.

Happy to hear that you are in step with this custom/tradition.

Note: Not a bad Topic for a Saturday/Sunday, a time for reflection.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, jvs said:

Most people i see making merit make sure others see how good they are.

Real merit is treating people with respect and dignity.

It is not giving money to a temple in full view but helping people anonymously.

Did you want my bank details?

• Love It 1

I don't believe in the 'making merit' philosophy, and as my Mother used to say "no good deed ever goes unpunished, - but I do get pleasure from helping others, although I don't expect a reward in return apart from my personal enjoyment and the big smiles.

The most fun I had a few Christmases ago was dressing up as Santa's and taking a big sack of toys and food to Khlong Toey and handing things out to the kids.

Providing meals at a local community school is also fun ... that's my birthday tradition.

But the master of this is the Sunrise Taco's guy and the Bangkok Community Help Foundation.  They add real value to the community.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I don't believe in the 'making merit' philosophy, and as my Mother used to say "no good deed ever goes unpunished, - but I do get pleasure from helping others, although I don't expect a reward in return apart from my personal enjoyment and the big smiles.

The most fun I had a few Christmases ago was dressing up as Santa's and taking a big sack of toys and food to Khlong Toey and handing things out to the kids.

Providing meals at a local community school is also fun ... that's my birthday tradition.

But the master of this is the Sunrise Taco's guy and the Bangkok Community Help Foundation.  They add real value to the community.

Actually, I do recall your comment about this, and I was suitably impressed by your idea of the Santa suit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many ways in this world to make merit, showing great love and respect to other people, being generous with people who deserve your generosity, extending yourself whenever possible, being a very decent human being, paying honor to our elders, and helping homeless people from time to time. The list is endless if one wants to do good in this world there is no end to how much we can help others, if we're in a position to do so.

The least effective way in this world to make merit is to donate your money to a temple. That is just sloth and laziness, in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Making Merit is an integral feature of the culture in Thailand.

Happy to hear that you are in step with this custom/tradition.

Note: Not a bad Topic for a Saturday/Sunday, a time for reflection.

Personally, I prefer giving food, or I do good deeds for people who don't need it. Cash only if I have nothing else, or, sometimes, as a tip for people, I think could need it. (I never show off, like is often the case in Thailand.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The least effective way in this world to make merit is to donate your money to a temple. That is just sloth and laziness, in my opinion. 

I used to 'wai' every monk when I was new in Thailand, to the amusement of my company. Nowadays, however, I have no respect for Thai monks, and I wouldn't trust them with donations. One just needs to read about the millions some monks have accumulated in their bank accounts. Nuff said...

• Sad 1

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

I used to 'Wai' every monk when I was new in Thailand, to the amusement of my company. Nowadays, I have no respect for Thai monks, and I wouldn't trust them with donations. One just needs to read about the millions some monks have accumulated in their bank accounts. Nuff said...

Watch them walk on highways from town to town barefoot

8 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Watch them walk on highways from town to town barefoot

Buddhism is a scam and you must have a very weak mind if you fall for it. But hey, keep scouring the one-horse towns of Thailand trying to find enlightenment baby bird 🤣🤣🤣

• Sad 1

My wife handles the Thai traditional way of merit....

I help & assist people as a situation might dictate....

Since I rescued a Bangkaew soi dog in our MuBaan a few years back I've kind of become the surrogate father to a few (about 6) of the others....

All great animals that others have basically thrown away....

With just a little bit of individual attention there is not a bad dog in the bunch.... I'll help with their daily needs + administer their rabies shots, etc as I've earned their trust....

While we were gone for 4 months our daughters and neighbors took an active interest & carried on with their care....I was glad for that....

Not sure it's Merit worthy.....

4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

My wife handles the Thai traditional way of merit....

I help & assist people as a situation might dictate....

Since I rescued a Bangkaew soi dog in our MuBaan a few years back I've kind of become the surrogate father to a few (about 6) of the others....

All great animals that others have basically thrown away....

With just a little bit of individual attention there is not a bad dog in the bunch.... I'll help with their daily needs + administer their rabies shots, etc as I've earned their trust....

While we were gone for 4 months our daughters and neighbors took an active interest & carried on with their care....I was glad for that....

Not sure it's Merit worthy.....

I saved the life of an almost drowned Thai guy last year who had floated for, at least, 20 minutes in the sea 'head under' without anyone on the beach or in the water nearby caring. - Did I do this for merit, or for being advantaged in a future life? No, it was just the 'normal' thing to do.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I saved the life of an almost drowned Thai guy last year who had floated for, at least, 20 minutes in the sea 'head under' without anyone on the beach or in the water nearby caring. - Did I do this for merit, or for being advantaged in a future life? No, it was just the 'normal' thing to do.

Hardly the normal thing to do.

I could not have done this, and I bet few could.

Nice going.

In the Myanmar Lineage, your merit is compounded by offering up your accrued merit to others, partic. neutral others, or people you do not know.

You might also offer up merit to people you don't like, in the hopes of it bringing reconciliation. Someone else's merit is also useful to a sick loved one.

Offering up merit accrued from a vipassana mediation sitting is partic. valuable, but you must not let the ego intrude.

So quite the merit triple-accruing hat trick.

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I used to 'wai' every monk when I was new in Thailand, to the amusement of my company. Nowadays, however, I have no respect for Thai monks, and I wouldn't trust them with donations. One just needs to read about the millions some monks have accumulated in their bank accounts. Nuff said...

My respect for them is fairly limited too. One likes to see some sort of example. Show me, do not tell me. Same applies for priests and rabbis too, and especially Imams. 

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

(Please note:  The question marks in the Topic are typos.  I will replace my defective keyboard, very soon.  But, I will not purchase on Lazada.)

I make merit by kindly pointing out errors made by others so that they might do better in the future. Is it possible that you meant "quotation marks" instead of "question marks"?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Have a good one!

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I make merit by kindly pointing out errors made by others so that they might do better in the future. Is it possible that you meant "quotation marks" instead of "question marks"?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Have a good one!

If the question marks were typos, then they would most likely be quotation marks, full colons, or the ?Greater Than? symbol.

However, they are not typos, is my belief.

Maybe an AI artifact?

I should use my video camera with macro lens to uncover tis mystery...