1 year Non O visa based on marriage

Good day everyone,

I am a French citizen married to a Thai spouse, based in Phuket. I recently entered the country on a 30-day visa exemption stamp, and I need to obtain a 1-year Non O visa (based on marriage) before the end of March. I have 400k THB in a Thai bank account.

Is it still possible to obtain a 1-year visa from a Thai consulate in a nearby country? I used to do that in Ho Chi Minh previously and it was really convenient, but it seems this is not possible anymore. I have checked the Thai consulate website in Savannakhet, but it appears they provide only 90-day Non O visas.

I could convert my exemption to a Non O here in Phuket and then apply for a 1-year extension, but based on my past experience, it will take longer than I can wait.

Thanks for your help; any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

Afaik you can still apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marraige at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet.  What has changed is that while previously you only had to provide evidence of being married with a Thai national when applying for that 1-year ME Marriage Non Imm O Visa, is that the consulate now requires that you provide evidence of having +400.000,- THB on a Thai bank-account.  So if you visit your Thai bank and ask for a Bank-Account statement printed on the bank's letterhead paper, stating that you are the sole owner of that account, as well as the balance it shows, that will be irrefutible evidence of meeting the criterium.  And it would be wise to make a small transaction and update your bank pass-book just before crossing the border, in case the Consulate wants very recent evidence of you still meeting that criterium. 

Note that if you cannot provide evidence of the required funds, that the Consulate will provide you with a 90-day Marriage Non Imm O Visa, for which no financial requirements need to be fulfilled.

NOTE: Not sure whether the Consulate would accept the equivalent of +400K on a non-Thai bank-account, as it would be difficult to provide official documented evidence of such (a bank-account snapshot downloaded from the web would be probably be rejected).

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Afaik you can still apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marraige at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet.  What has changed is that while previously you only had to provide evidence of being married with a Thai national when applying for that 1-year ME Marriage Non Imm O Visa, is that the consulate now requires that you provide evidence of having +400.000,- THB on a Thai bank-account.  So if you visit your Thai bank and ask for a Bank-Account statement printed on the bank's letterhead paper, stating that you are the sole owner of that account, as well as the balance it shows, that will be irrefutible evidence of meeting the criterium.  And it would be wise to make a small transaction and update your bank pass-book just before crossing the border, in case the Consulate wants very recent evidence of you still meeting that criterium. 

Note that if you cannot provide evidence of the required funds, that the Consulate will provide you with a 90-day Marriage Non Imm O Visa, for which no financial requirements need to be fulfilled.

NOTE: Not sure whether the Consulate would accept the equivalent of +400K on a non-Thai bank-account, as it would be difficult to provide official documented evidence of such (a bank-account snapshot downloaded from the web would be probably be rejected).

Many thanks, that's good to know! Do you know if my Thai wife needs to be present when applying for visa in Savannakhet?

I read that it is not necessary for your wife to be present, but that you would need a signed front-back copy of her Thai ID-card and a handwritten document equally signed by her requesting the Thai Consulate to provide you - her husband with the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I read that it is not necessary for your wife to be present, but that you would need a signed front-back copy of her Thai ID-card and a handwritten document equally signed by her requesting the Thai Consulate to provide you - her husband with the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Ok thank you!

• Like 1