Multiple Non "O" Marriage visa in Savannakhet - November 2023 report

You were wise to apply on a Wednesday. Probably, you applied on a Monday or Thursday in the past when it can be very busy. It is true that many who used to go there no longer do, but that is mainly because they are no longer a good option when applying for tourist visas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@megapix - Thanks for this report, quite helpful overview of the requirements for anyone wanting to apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Marriage Visa at the Savannakhet consulate.

One comment > With 'signed copy of Marriage certificate' you most probably refer to the Kor-Ror-2 (Marriage registry) which you can get an ANY Thai amphur for 10 to 50,- THB and which is an extract from the Thai national marriage register, providing evidence that you are STILL married to your wife.  Note that you also would need to bring the ORIGINAL marriage certificate when applying in Savannakhet.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

@megapix - Thanks for this report, quite helpful overview of the requirements for anyone wanting to apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Marriage Visa at the Savannakhet consulate.

One comment > With 'signed copy of Marriage certificate' you most probably refer to the Kor-Ror-2 (Marriage registry) which you can get an ANY Thai amphur for 10 to 50,- THB and which is an extract from the Thai national marriage register, providing evidence that you are STILL married to your wife.  Note that you also would need to bring the ORIGINAL marriage certificate when applying in Savannakhet.

In my application I submitted a copy of the original marriage certificate signed by my wife and myself and showed the original certificate.

I had brought an updated Kor-Ror-2 in case they asked for it but I did not need to show it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sam555 said:

Do the funds have to be in a Thai bank account?  

~

Normally that should not be required as you are not applying for the Visa in Thailand.

But you might have difficulty providing accepted evidence of having the equivalent of +400K on a foreign bank-account. 

Showing the Pass-book of your Thai Bank-account with +400K on a date very close to you application (and providing copies of all pages) would be accepted without problems.

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

With 'signed copy of Marriage certificate' you most probably refer to the Kor-Ror-2 (Marriage registry)

No, he meant a signed copy of marriage cert.

KR2 is completely different and not required.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 4:11 AM, megapix said:

Signed copies of all pages from my bank book with 400k deposited in the account. No need to season the money. I deposited 400 k into my Thai bank account 3 days before applying. They also wanted to see the orginal bank book.

It's curious why they would want signed copy of each page if the money does not need to be seasoned...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I didnt marry in Thailand so I show my original marriage certificate (with translation) from my country and give them signed copies. I give them also copy of Kor Ror 22 to be precise but that is included in the marriage certifacte translation. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Thanks for the report - so it seems the 400k is a firm requirement.

A couple of questions:

Did you ask them if the money had to be in a Thai bank account? They seem to be requiring that which is pretty odd for a visa that is intended for someone who visits Thailand, not lives there.

I'm just wondering if the official line is that they will accept applications for a MENO from someone living in Thailand and has a Thai bank account but maybe only offer a single entry to those who show the funds in a foreign account?

Do you have any idea why they wanted to see your Laos visa?

Money doesnt have to be in Thai bank account. But this can change anytime

They will issue you single entry without the bank statement. I think they prefer the Thai bank accounts because they are more credible ? Anyone can fake a foreign bank statement. Its not that difficult. I read some stories that they randomly ask people to show them the foreign banking app to match random transactions to see if they are correct. 

Im not sure about the Laos visa question. It doesnt make any sense for me. 

thanks for info Guys

my visa will expire 1 Dec,  any opinions about getting a retirement visa instead ? I can show funds  in America (IRA) ,  would be easier and cheaper than agent I use in Pattaya ,. Plus i now have to show up in person  for immigration photo , new rule (13 hrs on a bus sucks ! ) i live in mukdahan

any thoughts ? Thanks 🙏 

Edited by Kul1

3 hours ago, Kul1 said:

thanks for info Guys

my visa will expire 1 Dec,  any opinions about getting a retirement visa instead ? I can show funds  in America (IRA) ,  would be easier and cheaper than agent I use in Pattaya ,. Plus i now have to show up in person  for immigration photo , new rule (13 hrs on a bus sucks ! ) i live in mukdahan

any thoughts ? Thanks 🙏   

Savannakhet does issue Non O visas based on retirement with funds in an overseas bank account, but I do not think an IRA account would qualify. You could ask them. At best, this would mean border bounces every 90 days, but that would likely not be a major issue if you live in Mukdahan.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Savannakhet does issue Non O visas based on retirement with funds in an overseas bank account, but I do not think an IRA account would qualify. You could ask them. At best, this would mean border bounces every 90 days, but that would likely not be a major issue if you live in Mukdahan.

Thanks Tim 

I’ll give Savannakhet a try.

I’ll post the outcome in a few weeks 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

The marriage extension process at immigration is a horrible process, i had to do it twice during covid times and i won't put up with the BS again.

I have no problem spending the extra money and going to Savankhett, it's painless.

Why did you find it a horrible process? The reason I ask this is because for most people I've spoken to, it seems to be the financials when using the monthly income method that gives people angst.

From here on in. it seems that only those folks who can show 400k in the bank will get a yearly visa. But having that sum of money available is the easiest way to get a marriage extension anyway. Why throw away good money for the sake of one days hassle? Which as I've already said I don't regard as being a hassle anyway.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, BritTim said:

You were wise to apply on a Wednesday. Probably, you applied on a Monday or Thursday in the past when it can be very busy. It is true that many who used to go there no longer do, but that is mainly because they are no longer a good option when applying for tourist visas.

It's no longer busy now with the rule change! Presumably there's only a trickle of applicants now 

On 11/11/2023 at 8:21 PM, MangoKorat said:

Thanks for the report - so it seems the 400k is a firm requirement.

A couple of questions:

Did you ask them if the money had to be in a Thai bank account? They seem to be requiring that which is pretty odd for a visa that is intended for someone who visits Thailand, not lives there.

I'm just wondering if the official line is that they will accept applications for a MENO from someone living in Thailand and has a Thai bank account but maybe only offer a single entry to those who show the funds in a foreign account?

Do you have any idea why they wanted to see your Laos visa?

No. You're being presumptuous. The 400K can be in any foreign bank account but since most applicants aren't exactly new to Thailand, they'll already have a Thai bank account. Anyone with the money in the bank gets the 12 month multiple entry visa.

When I went recently, they weren't interested in the copy of my Lao entry stamp I provided. They simply gave me the paper back. This is a very minor issue; just ask your hotel to make a photocopy just in case. Or if you're coming directly from Thailand, get a photocopy done either at the Lao side of the bridge (at immigration), or any photocopy shop such as the one opposite the embassy. Better have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grubman said:

One question, is the 400k the only option or are regular salary payment into the account monthly accepted

The amount each months is over the 200k each month 

I am assuming you are talking about an extension to stay based on marriage. 

First, with a 200K per month income, you should have no problem putting a couple of months income on the side for doing the 400k option. Much simpler,

That's what I and many others do. 

I have never done the income option, but I think you have to show a minimum of 40k per month income and you have to show a 12 month statement , each month balance having never gone below 40k

I think it has to show that the income has to be from outside Thailand