Getting Married In Thailand

Mrs E2b and I completed the whole legal marriage in approximately 4 hours in Bangkok with the assistance of a firm of advisers. All we had to do was to take along any supplementary documentation (e.g. passport, decree absolute from my previous marriage etc.). The agent collected us from our hotel (although in hindsight it would have been quicker to take the BTS) took us to the office, typed the necessary attestation, accompanied us to the UK Embassy where I paid the fee and submitted the documents. We then went back to the office and were accompanied to a specific amphur (which I think the firm has a special arrangement with). All the documentation was completed and we received our marriage certificates (the agent collected the UK Embassy attestation the following day etc.).

This was all very civilised and whilst it wasn't cheap the process was very straightforward. The only additional fee we paid was for a translation of our marriage certificate to be certified by the MOFA.

I would definitely recommend the firm we used. They took a lot of stress out of the situation given that we had a limited amount of time in Bangkok before heading off to Krabi for our religious ceremony, we also had to complete the fitting of the wedding outfits we had ordered from the UK and co-ordinate with the 2 groups of family and friends who were joining us in Krabi.

Edited by Expat2B