What visa option would you recommend?

Hi everyone,

I first entered Thailand on a METV in July 2022 and left when required after extensions (for a week at a time).

I then transferred that over in-country onto an ED Visa (Thai language) in January 2023 and stayed in BKK for the full year until January this year (so all up - 1.5 years).

I've since flown back to Australia and have been here for two weeks, but am looking to go back long-term ASAP.

I've also got a new clean passport coming this week as the old one was expiring within a year.

What do you recommend if you were me?

I am not old enough for retirement visa, I have enough savings and get a military pension regardless of where I live.

I wish I got the Elite visa when it was cheaper, but those days are gone.

I have an appetite for moderate risk regarding choices (I see myself getting on the retirement visa in 10 years, so I'd like to not ruin that), if that helps.

Cheers.

Outside of marriage and PE (elite) you don't have many options.

You could possibly get away with an METV every year, which would mean 9 months in and 3+ out.

You could be more flexible and spend time elsewhere. 

Don't mean few days more like couple of months. (Vietnam would be just one example) 

Example SETV to Thailand+ extension followed by couple months out......wash and repeat.

If you have a serious thing going on then marry the chick. 

Financials for non O based on marriage+ annual extensions is a walk in the park. 

• Like 1

Haha I could possibly go for the marriage visa in the future, was hoping for a little more time before that came up to be honest.

I've been offered another ED visa too, through a different place, though I'm 50/50 on that at the moment.

Marriage visa does look pretty good though, maybe another METV and then see how it is in another 9 months? Do you think I'd get away with another METV after a month of being out of country?

56 minutes ago, Five5fife said:

Do you think I'd get away with another METV after a month of being out of country?

No.

You will obtain a METV that's not your problem.

Immigration in Thailand re airports etc may have different attitude. 

Anyway continue with Ed visa etc. 

It's not sustainable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Five5fife said:

Ok, thanks for your help. I think I'll just go with the second ED visa and then follow through with the marriage visa after that.

Out of interest what are the attendance requirements and I'm guessing the cost approx 35k ?

First one was 50k, though it was a serious course, 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. So I actually learned how to read and write, though it's slipping already.

This one is a university ED, so only have to visit immigration once a year. Price between 50-65k depending on agent. They seem to be outlets for the same institution.

I'm leaning towards the university one simply because I hate visiting Div 1 every couple months, even though they are more expensive, plus one of the agents at the upper price point has actual pull, and I know someone who has used them for many years hassle free.

• Thumbs Up 1

You are fornicating trying to live in the country using a sham visa, I will be honest with you the authorities really hate this. Marry her and get the proper visa or move on, those really should be your only 2 options.

• Agree 1

Finding a job in Thailand could also be an option.  If you have a university degree, you will be allowed you to teach English (or other subjects) here and you might enjoy the work.  I think you should be okay getting another Ed visa.