Converting Non-ED to Non-O based on retirement.

I've been working at a university in Chiang Mai for 30 years.  I have been getting an extension of permission of stay based on working at a university and work permit renewal annually for this period.  My entry into Thailand was on a non-ED when I was offered a position at the university.  Just renewed my passport for the 3rd time and all 4 are stamped (transfer stamps to 3 of them) with Non-ED.

Now, can I convert the Non-ED based on working at a university to a Non-O based on retirement in country?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

Are you saying you're working at an University with an ED visa and a work permit?

The visa for working is NON B.

ED visa is when you're studying something, not working.

Exactly what I'm saying.  I'm assuming it has been allowed as I am working at an educational institute.

The 1st 10+ years, Chiang Mai was not authorized to approve extensions based on work and was sent to Bangkok and I would get a 30 day waiting approval stamp.  Then when Chiang Mai immigration was authorized I received extensions for the next 20 years from them.  So both Bangkok and Chiang Mai immigration considered it valid.

It can be done, I went from a non-ed to a non-o myself.  First talk to your local immigration and ask if it's OK to put 800K in to the bank for 3 months prior the change of reason on your non-ed or use an agent.  Note, some immigration offices can do it and some won't, as it's at their own discretion.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Almudena said:

It can be done, I went from a non-ed to a non-o myself.  First talk to your local immigration and ask if it's OK to put 800K in to the bank for 3 months prior the change of reason on your non-ed or use an agent.  Note, some immigration offices can do it and some won't, as it's at their own discretion.

Thank you.  👍

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Almudena said:

First talk to your local immigration and ask if it's OK to put 800K in to the bank for 3 months prior the change of reason on your non-ed

I've had 800k+ in my account for many years so not an issue.  But I've read you have to have proof of it coming from abroad.  Mine is from salary earned in Thailand and I believe that is acceptable?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I've had 800k+ in my account for many years so not an issue.  But I've read you have to have proof of it coming from abroad.  Mine is from salary earned in Thailand and I believe that is acceptable?

I don't think that's an issue, it's the 65K per month method that they want to see that's coming in from abroad.  If you use an agent, tell them that you already have 800K in the bank as their fees will be cheaper than having them loaning you the money.

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally you can change the extension of stay to be based on retirement after working in Thailand, without changing the visa that you originally entered on. I'm however, not sure if that will work with an non-ED, it works with non-B. You should check with the local immigration office if they accept it.

I wasn’t able to extend an Ed visa for reason of retirement once I had finished studying (in Phuket). 

I had to leave country and re-enter with a Non-O based on retirement (issued at foreign embassy) although also had option of entering Thailand visa free and applying for 3 month non-O at immigration office. 

Edited by novster

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 2:52 PM, khunPer said:

Normally you can change the extension of stay to be based on retirement after working in Thailand, without changing the visa that you originally entered on. I'm however, not sure if that will work with an non-ED, it works with non-B. You should check with the local immigration office if they accept it.

I see conflicting information

How do you change non-b (working as a teacher) to non-o (for retirement) in-country?

Chaeng Wattana, 63 year old American

After Work-permit is cancelled (labor office) and Extension of stay changed(immigration), can I immediately use TM 7 to get a 90 day extension for retirement?  Need to change to Non-o?

2 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

How do you change non-b (working as a teacher) to non-o (for retirement) in-country?

After Work-permit is cancelled (labor office) and Extension of stay changed(immigration), can I immediately use TM 7 to get a 90 day extension for retirement?  Need to change to Non-o?

There is no "90 day extension for retirement", and you cannot apply for a Non-O visa within Thailand as you're already on a non-immigrant visa entry.

If you meet the requirements for a 1 year retirement extension, in particular the money seasoning, you should be able to apply for that when your work permit and extension are canceled.

Check with your local immigration office before though, as some are unwilling to do that or have their own local rules and requirements. 

3 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

It's not your visa that you change, but the condition for extension of stay; your visa has normally already expired shortly after you get your first extension of stay.

I don't believe that you can get a 90-day extension, it will normally be for one year, or as long as you passport is valid if that period is shorter than one year.

To my knowledge, when you ends your working life, you can continue to stay as retiree, if you fulfill the the needed requirements. That is why the 800k baht deposit don't need to come from abroad, as you can be saving up while working here; or you can have a Thai retirement pension savings or other income that will be minimum 65k baht per month.