Notebook Loses Connectivety

OlRedEyes

Recently bought a Dlink wireless router. My notebook connects fine, reconnects 30 mins after being switched on, then after another 30 mins tries to reconnect again, but fails. This is a hard fault, constant. If I try to 'repair' it tries to renew the IP address, but fails. Have to reboot the notebook. Also, if the notebook is already up and the router is off, switching on the router results in the notebook detecting the wifi, but cannot conect. Again, have to reboot the notebook.

Seems like a setting on the notebook. It loses the IP add. There is a setting on the router, but I have set it to maintain the IP address for 10 hours.

Can't find the setting in XP. Any suggestions where I can scratch pls?

Edited by OlRedEyes

I had a similar problem with a Dell notebook and a Netgear router. Funny enough, the problem seemed to be the WPA encryption. When I used WEP, no problems whatsoever. Try playing around with your encryption settings.

Probably could be fixed with a firmware or driver update, but it works now, and I'm not overly concerned with someone hacking the WEP as I use SSH and browser based encryption.