Competitors versus Perfectionists

You and I are not like great sportsmen - I can say that with some confidence from my side, though in your case, I might be going out on a limb…

In another forum, I was discussing the decline of one of the world’s top Scottish sportsmen, and I had the thought:

”Maybe some people are great sportsmen because they love to win and be better than the next man, while other sportsmen are great because they want to be the best that they can be”. Of course, to be the best that you can be, you need to compete against and beat your peers, while to beat the next man, you need to be as good as you can be…

I have always enjoyed the sporting life.

I, so far, have not risen to my pinnacle.

What about YOUR pinnacle?

Is it as sharp as it once was?

You are younger than I, and you have much to learn about points, way up high.

(Take care, Man....)

Ten years gone by....

In a flash.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The great athletes are genetically blessed.

I competed in national road races, international road races and national track championships during the 1980s.

I thought I was doing quite well, until I was in a town center criterium with a guy called Colin Sturgess.

It was like trying to keep up with someone on a motorbike, pure power and athletic ability. 

No amount of training, effort, or preparation on my part would have gotten me close.

And I must add, he’s a smashing bloke into the bargain.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:06 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

The great athletes are genetically blessed.

I competed in national road races, international road races and national track championships during the 1980s.

I thought I was doing quite well, until I was in a town center criterium with a guy called Colin Sturgess.

It was like trying to keep up with someone on a motorbike, pure power and athletic ability. 

No amount of training, effort, or preparation on my part would have gotten me close.

And I must add, he’s a smashing bloke into the bargain.

When it comes to smashing blokes, I think you would need to search hard to match Johnny Wilkinson or Kevin Sinfield