Immigration delays continue

For my current and last six entries (and even exits) from Thailand over the last two years, things do not go as normally. The Immigration employees at the border are always polite. Eventually (i.e. after ten to twenty minutes) my passport is stamped and no comments are ever made to me. But I find it all very strange, as if my movements are being especially monitored. Usually the person at the other side of the counter just spends an unusual amount of time, buttons are pushed, supervisors are called in to take over. Originally I was taken aside for further keyboard punching. Once I was told that there must be someone with the same name or birthday. So? What gives? I am not enlightened as to what the non-problem problem is.  I mean, if someone amd myself could be confused why doesn't the manual over-ride take care of the confusion once amd for all? The most I have ever been told is that is a 'technical problem' and would resolve itself with time. I am skeptical. I mean, if it is just that, why did the guy this time manually take a photo of my passport with his phone? I could understand being denied entry or being searched. But neither occur.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HermesHermes said:

For my current and last six entries (and even exits) from Thailand over the last two years, things do not go as normally. The Immigration employees at the border are always polite. Eventually (i.e. after ten to twenty minutes) my passport is stamped and no comments are ever made to me. But I find it all very strange, as if my movements are being especially monitored. Usually the person at the other side of the counter just spends an unusual amount of time, buttons are pushed, supervisors are called in to take over. Originally I was taken aside for further keyboard punching. Once I was told that there must be someone with the same name or birthday. So? What gives? I am not enlightened as to what the non-problem problem is.  I mean, if someone amd myself could be confused why doesn't the manual over-ride take care of the confusion once amd for all? The most I have ever been told is that is a 'technical problem' and would resolve itself with time. I am skeptical. I mean, if it is just that, why did the guy this time manually take a photo of my passport with his phone? I could understand being denied entry or being searched. But neither occur.

they're probably after a few baht.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, HermesHermes said:

Once I was told that there must be someone with the same name or birthday. So? What gives?

This is reasonably common in other countries where having the same name as an undesirable can lead to extra questioning so why not Thailand?

It used to happen to me with my replacement passport after mine had been stolen. One time I was also asked for the police report - like 18 months after the incident. As if I'd be carrying that forever.