Thai workers invited to apply for high-paying oil rig jobs in Brunei

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thailand government spokesperson announced a significant recruitment drive by the Department of Employment for 40 positions on oil rigs in Brunei, offering high annual salaries, free accommodation, and excellent benefits.

The application window for these coveted roles opened on February 9 and will close on February 23, inviting experienced professionals with a minimum of eight years in the industry, including four years on oil rigs, to apply for the roles of Marker Fitter and 6 GR Pipe and Structural Welder.

The Department of Employment in Thailand has opened applications for skilled workers to fill positions with Adinin Worl & Engineering SDN BHD, a company based in Brunei that operates within the oil and gas industry.

The positions available are for assembly fitters and welding technicians, with attractive salary packages on offer. Successful candidates can expect to earn 98 Brunei dollars per day, equivalent to approximately 2,560 Thai baht, over a two-year contract with a maximum of 245 working days per year. In addition to a competitive salary, the employer will provide free accommodation, medical care, and compensation insurance for work-related accidents.

The roles specifically call for experienced individuals who have at least eight years of relevant experience, including a minimum of four years on offshore oil drilling platforms. Proficiency in English is also a requirement to ensure smooth communication within the multinational work environment.

by Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Nearly $100 a day for a good Thai worker is a bargain.....but how to ensure you get a good one and not a lazy one? 

By paying a salary like this, there are plenty good ones if you pay like that.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thailand government spokesperson announced a significant recruitment drive by the Department of Employment for 40 positions on oil rigs in Brunei, offering high annual salaries, free accommodation, and excellent benefits.

And a rather nice sea view.. bonus?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The roles specifically call for experienced individuals who have at least eight years of relevant experience, including a minimum of four years on offshore oil drilling platforms. Proficiency in English is also a requirement to ensure smooth communication within the multinational work environment.

Ahhhhh... Somchai don't bother with the application paper.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, retarius said:

Nearly $100 a day for a good Thai worker is a bargain.....but how to ensure you get a good one and not a lazy one? 

Not a good question - how do you ensure new farang employees (anywhere) are not lazy? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not a good question - how do you ensure new farang employees (anywhere) are not lazy? 

I worked offshore for a few years before I retired. I worked days and my oppo Rusky worked niight shift.HSE Safety. I usually woke him up sleeping at the desk in the am. Talked a good BS story but lazy as f..

I should think that Thai welders qualified to the standard required for pressure pipe joints and repairs are small in number and already lucratively employed in country.

Somchai with a rusty stick welder should not apply.

• Sad 1

This is also awfulll

1 hour ago, loong said:

A bit over 50,000 Baht/month may sound good for a Thai, but it seems very low for an experienced worker on an oil rig and exploitation!

It's an awful salary. 

Reeks os slavery.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I should think that Thai welders qualified to the standard required for pressure pipe joints and repairs are small in number and already lucratively employed in country.

Somchai with a rusty stick welder should not apply.

5 years ago, maybe employed in country.  We had some amazing welders, doing gorgeous work offshore and onshore with our fabrication work.  But with the exit of Chevron and all the platforms that shut down because of the drop in oil price from $100 a barrel, there's a lot of excellent welders available.

Gotta say, though...  I'm not sure that 2560 baht a day to work offshore will be drawing them in.  There may be other perks on offer, but it doesn't sound like it.  Sounds like someone's trying to exploit cheap workers.  And that rarely goes well with high pressure piping.

• Thumbs Up 2

More like "Thai workers invited (by the Thai government) to apply for high-paying offshore oil rig jobs in Brunei."

I don't think Brunei cares what the worker's nationality is versus experience and proficiency to do the job professionally. 

I found this in Facebook dated Dec. 22, 2018 by Borneo SR, Brunei Offshore site:

• "Welder - Basic wage : B$93/day offshore; Overtime: B$11.04/hour; 
  • Normal working hours: 12 hours/day
  • Minimum 5 years working experience in Oil & Gas Industry preferably with offshore experience;
  • Able to pass 6G (TIG/SMAW) & GR (SMAW) Tests;
  • Experience in installation & repair of process lines using welding & cutting techniques.

In 2018 Brent crude oil average closing price was $65.23 USD. In 2023 $82.49 USD. Forecast for 2024 is $82 USD; for 2025 $79 USD. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy

If wages are not keeping up with value of crude, wages paid today that are slightly more than or equal to 2018 seem inadequate except maybe to developing countries.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Proficiency in English is also a requirement to ensure smooth communication within the multinational work environment.

Yeah, that rules out about 90% of the Thai workers 😅 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This seems a very poor wage for a Thai offshore welder with that kind of experience. Those guys are S hot welders! They were earning that kind of money here 20y ago. 2500 baht a day is around 100 baht an hour. When offshore you calculate day wage by 24 hour period because your time is there’s for the duration you’re out there. So even on a 1000 bucks a day, it is ‘only’ essentially 40-odd bucks an hour. 

14 hours ago, This Guy said:

If you've never worked offshore, you shouldn't comment about those you have NO knowledge of!

I live next door to Swedish owners who spend their offshore money on all-night parties several MONTHS of the year and to hell with other workers who unfortunately live near them.

• Haha 2

Sounds like they want to pay the Thais peanuts....

How much money can you make offshore?

Offshore Drilling Rig Salary
  Annual Salary Monthly Pay
Top Earners $166,500 $13,875
75th Percentile $100,000 $8,333
Average $96,884 $8,073
25th Percentile $72,500

$6,041

• 1 month later...