Eight year old becomes youngest person to ‘windsurf’ across Gulf of Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

An 8 year old boy has become the youngest person ever to kite-dsurf across the Gulf of Thailand. Thanawat “Shane” Promwaen set the record after windsurfing across 107 kilometres to mark his 9th birthday, which was yesterday, February 11.

Good work young fella.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well done young man. However, I still think it is utter stupidity and very reckless of his parents to have encouraged him/allowed him to undertake such a challenge at such a young age.  It is very popular sport/hobby even here in Scotland. The beach in our village there are often half a dozen people kite surfing and it's very pleasant to watch. 

• Sad 4

38 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Well done young man. However, I still think it is utter stupidity and very reckless of his parents to have encouraged him/allowed him to undertake such a challenge at such a young age.  It is very popular sport/hobby even here in Scotland. The beach in our village there are often half a dozen people kite surfing and it's very pleasant to watch. 

nonsense ....  if he's keen to be adventurous then let him go for it,   just ensure all the right safety measures are in place. 

how would a 9yr old feel if he wasn't allowed to achieve anything special. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Was he Eight when he started, as the headline says, and 9 when he arrived? 55

What is Kite-dsurfing?

most 8yr olds are getting their motorbike's ready complete with machetes ready for tonight's drag racing and gang fight around 3.00am ... 

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, BritScot said:

I still think it is utter stupidity and very reckless of his parents to have encouraged him/allowed him to undertake such a challenge at such a young age. 

Why...what danger was he "stupidly" and "recklessly" exposed to as a very experienced kite surfer?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why...what danger was he "stupidly" and "recklessly" exposed to as a very experienced kite surfer?

How can an 8 year old be very experienced at anything!

By kite/windsurfing since he was three years old, as the OP clearly stated!

On 2/12/2024 at 10:51 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Really, you have to ask? Try doing that in the uk with your child and you would rightly have your child taken from you. 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, still kicking said:

This is not the fn UK 

Ah another keyboard hard man. Rule of thumb: "Don't leave comments that you wouldn't say to someone's face". The fact that in a first world country it would not be allowed shows how this was wrong on so many levels and you can't see it! 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:13 PM, BritScot said:

Really, you have to ask? Try doing that in the uk with your child and you would rightly have your child taken from you. 

I thought he was accompanied by a flotilla so in reality quite safe......

One has to give a young adventurer some slack on the reins at some point.

'Don't play around with that piano young Mozart' might have deterred a great composer!

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought he was accompanied by a flotilla so in reality quite safe......

One has to give a young adventurer some slack on the reins at some point.

'Don't play around with that piano young Mozart' might have deterred a great composer!

Not at 8 years old. I could have put my daughter on  horse at a very young age but I waited till she was 10.  My daughter is a good rider, jumps 5" with ease but I wouldn't put her in the grand national or a steeple chase. 8 years old is far to young regardless of how many are around them. It was an endurance and an 8 year olds body should not be subjected to those rigours.  God I was an adult and the army left me a disabled cripple from rigours abuse.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Not at 8 years old. I could have put my daughter on  horse at a very young age but I waited till she was 10.  My daughter is a good rider, jumps 5" with ease but I wouldn't put her in the grand national or a steeple chase. 8 years old is far to young regardless of how many are around them. It was an endurance and an 8 year olds body should not be subjected to those rigours.  God I was an adult and the army left me a disabled cripple from rigours abuse.

Oh well, sometimes hard to keep a young spirit down, and possibly not the best thing. I bet Ranulph Fiennes was a tough kid to control.