Real price of a new motorbike.

My dear old Yamaha Fino is on its last legs.  Fourteen years old and god knows what mileage, (my Speedo packed up six years ago.) 

So I've been browsing the internet the past few weeks and checking out the new bikes.  I've decided to get a Honda Click 125.  On the Honda website, it's advertised at 51,900 baht.

So, today I was surprised to find out that the three Honday motorbike dealerships in Pattaya start their prices at 57 plus.

Last year my wife was looking at buying a new Yamaha Grand Filano. The Yamaha website quoted that the top spec hybrid version was 68,500. In reality the dealerships were asking in excess of 85,000! This was in Chiang Mai. And that wasn't the farang price because a friend of my wife called someone she knew who worked at one of the dealerships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I wonder what the price was in 1964.

That was the first M/C I ever had and paid 45 pounds second hand for it 56 years ago, brought it on my 16th Birthday, passed my test on it, and could legally drive any sized bike after. And could drive a 3 wheeler, traded it in for a Robin reliant, the early model, before Del boys.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

Some of the scooter dealers are not really bike shops - they are just fronts for loan companies who 'sell' bikes just to get the loan business.  So if you want to pay cash they are not interested and hike the price.

You can normally spot the debt pushers as they have all the bike brands in stock rather than being dedicated to one .... even if they have a Honda sign on the shop front they have new Yamaha bikes on show.  Probably no proper workshop either.

A real dealer will add a bit for tax and plates, but only around 3000 THB on list.  Sometimes with a new model they will charge more until the hype dies down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's a thread on it i posted a year+ ago, basically there's a cartel in Pattaya, they charge falang price. Go to Asia City Motors in Bowin. Easier to just order on Line or Facebook, and get a taxi there when ready

Registration was 1800 baht a year ago, paid list price for my bike, don't buy any theft insurance, buy 1st class from a broker such as AA

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Price on web site are Suggested not real, so, any dealer official and not can apply different price. Told that many many time when people argue on hight used price. Some models second hand have price over the new because can't found new, or have long waiting list.

The Honda website states that prices start at 51,900 baht. There appear to be two models to choose from so the second model is likely to cost more than the starting price. If they are throwing in various things like a helmet, insurance and registration then they may add that too. Check and see exactly what you are getting. 

The Click 125 I believe is being phazed out slowly replscef by the 160.

The difference online price from the dealer might be two things 

1st, online wheels spoke or Alloy, alloys are better and worth the extra expense 4000 difference 2nd Keyless entry.

Unless you are on a budget will worth moving up to a 160cc, much more than just CC, overall a much better ride and bike Techno wise.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

I too have an old Fino 45,000 on it when the speedo quit about five years ago. My old lady went and bought a new Filano I don't know what she paid for it but it is quite nice. The center of gravity on Hondas seems to be higher making them a little more unstable.Go for a Filano.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2024 at 2:38 PM, essexman said:

My dear old Yamaha Fino is on its last legs.  Fourteen years old and god knows what mileage, (my Speedo packed up six years ago.) 

So I've been browsing the internet the past few weeks and checking out the new bikes.  I've decided to get a Honda Click 125.  On the Honda website, it's advertised at 51,900 baht.

So, today I was surprised to find out that the three Honday motorbike dealerships in Pattaya start their prices at 57 plus.

I always rented with Jack on Buakhao, but decided to buy. He sold me a "brand new" yammy 125 for 39,000 THB. It had been in a showroom for 3 years so was like yesterday's model. I took it to the Yamaha service centre on Pattaya Tai. They confirmed it was new, or maybe as new. 200 THB to check it over. It purrs along, literally! Find somebody you trust.

16 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I too have an old Fino 45,000 on it when the speedo quit about five years ago. My old lady went and bought a new Filano I don't know what she paid for it but it is quite nice. The center of gravity on Hondas seems to be higher making them a little more unstable.Go for a Filano.

What was the fuel consumption on it? I had one 10 years ago. could not fault the bike but the fuel consumption was dreadful.

December I bought a new Honda Click 160 ABS in Chanthaburi. 

Started at the largest Honda dealer in town, their price was 72,500 but wouldn't sell for cash, only on hire purchase. 

Next Honda dealer on the same road - ok with cash and selling at the suggested retail price on the Honda website, 69,900 baht.

Green book and registration plate arrived today - took 7 weeks, collect this afternoon along with the spare electronic 'key' I ordered.

19 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Bought a new Fino in 2013, now on 95,000km still running well, new fuel pump last month the biggest expense I've had, otherwise just standard maintenance, tyres etc. 

Had a 2008 Fino before that, sold in 2013 at 54,000 to wife's friend, last seen had over 100k on it.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:13 PM, scubascuba3 said:

There's a thread on it i posted a year+ ago, basically there's a cartel in Pattaya, they charge falang price. Go to Asia City Motors in Bowin. Easier to just order on Line or Facebook, and get a taxi there when ready

i'll second that - Those in the know go to Asia City Motors ....

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, G_Money said:

After years of renting Hondas a few years ago bought my beloved Vespa.  Never looked at another Honda again.

134.00 baht plus about 15k in accessories.

Love it.

IMG_4652.thumb.jpeg.e7e3ba0f8cb1800ae147e189edb1e2bf.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

150,000 for a twist and go..............:ohmy:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The ADV160 say 99k on the Honda website. 

Ive priced about 10 garages and cheapest has been 103k so what your being quoted is prob fairly close to what you will get at the dealership. Might get it for a couple k less if your lucky.

7 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Whoever named the article is wrong too, it is about scooters.

Well, find out who it was and go after 'im, sport. Meanwhile, the OP said, "So I've been browsing the internet the past few weeks and checking out the new bikes," not scooters as you insist. WOT???

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1