Shut off valve not working.

giddyup

I have a shut off valve that prevents mains water from flowing into underground water tank, but I have no idea of the inner workings of such a valve and what has stopped it from working. I can't imagine it can be over complicated, it's just a screw down brass valve, but I can't find a thing on line about the inner workings. Is there any kind of rubber washer or seal that might need replacing?

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I have a shut off valve that prevents mains water from flowing into underground water tank, but I have no idea of the inner workings of such a valve and what has stopped it from working. I can't imagine it can be over complicated, it's just a screw down brass valve, but I can't find a thing on line about the inner workings. Is there any kind of rubber washer or seal that might need replacing?

Photo would help 

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are you referring to something like this, shown in the video? A gate valve. Normally these don't have rubber washes.

Edited by ravip
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, ravip said:

Are you referring to something like this, shown in the video? A gate valve. Normally these don't have rubber washes.

What I have is pretty much the same and I can't see any reason something like that would fail.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What I have is pretty much the same and I can't see any reason something like that would fail.

There are two types as far as I know, 

The more modern ones have a steel ball  ball in them with a hole in the middle to allow the water to flow through. When the hole is aligned with the pipe water flows. when the ball is turned 90 degrees by the handle the holle in the ball does not align with the pipe and water does not flow.

It looks like you have one of the older  multi turn valves. Turning the handle clockwise lowers a blunger that closes the space where the water flows. Counterclockwise retructs the piston and water flows.

If you can cut the water to it from outside the house at the meter,

Change the damn thing. !! they are nothing but trouble  , a Ball valve is very inexpensive,and easy to operate  

• Like 1

Another video.

In my experience sometime we use the wrong terms. It's maybe what everybody who we know calls those things, but sometimes they have officially different names.

I would first search for pictures for the name you think it is. And when you confirm that that is the correct name, then look on YouTube.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In my experience sometime we use the wrong terms.

Not sure what terms are used in other countries, 

But as far as U know there are two types commonly used

A multi turn  that gas a circular handle and looks to be what the IO has

and a ball valve  that is most commonly used know. 

If I was the OP . and was capable of shutting the water outside the house, I would change it with a ball valve. Very easy to do.

• Like 1

Before you buy any valves, sirineou's tap is probably the best type IMO, and I have replaced a few, You need to know if the pipe is 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inch.

You may need to cut that old tap out. If you do you may be lucky and be able just replace the male ends or you may have to cut it a little further back and use a couple of straight connectors as well.

What I have been doing lately as I get older, is to make a U and raise the tap up so I don't have to bend down so far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not sure what terms are used in other countries, 

But as far as U know there are two types commonly used

A multi turn  that gas a circular handle and looks to be what the IO has

and a ball valve  that is most commonly used know. 

If I was the OP . and was capable of shutting the water outside the house, I would change it with a ball valve. Very easy to do.

Or use a 90 degree tap as in your earlier post.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Or use a 90 degree tap as in your earlier post.

Yea we all have different terms for this things. 

a 90 degree is the same as a ball valve I think ,because it takes a 90 degree turn to turn it on or shut it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Before you buy any valves, sirineou's tap is probably the best type IMO, and I have replaced a few, You need to know if the pipe is 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inch.

If it is a 1/2 inch , I normally use a a 3/4 valve with two 3/4 to 1/2 inch adopters  because the ball valve opening is IMO  too small and restricts flow even when wide open . A half incH ball valve has .3"" port opening, and a 3/4 ball valve has a .5" opening

So a 3/4 ball valve does not restricts a .5 inch(1/2") pipe. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

There are two types as far as I know, 

The more modern ones have a steel ball  ball in them with a hole in the middle to allow the water to flow through. When the hole is aligned with the pipe water flows. when the ball is turned 90 degrees by the handle the holle in the ball does not align with the pipe and water does not flow.

It looks like you have one of the older  multi turn valves. Turning the handle clockwise lowers a blunger that closes the space where the water flows. Counterclockwise retructs the piston and water flows.

If you can cut the water to it from outside the house at the meter,

Change the damn thing. !! they are nothing but trouble  , a Ball valve is very inexpensive,and easy to operate  

Any idea what would make the one I have fail? It seems there's not much in the way of moving parts.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Any idea what would make the one I have fail? It seems there's not much in the way of moving parts.

When you turn it, how does it feel?

Very loose? - maybe the shaft is broken in the gate closed position.

If it's very old, just change it.

(make sure there is no other valve before it!)

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Yea we all have different terms for this things. 

a 90 degree is the same as a ball valve I think ,because it takes a 90 degree turn to turn it on or shut it. 

However a 90 degree tap only needs turning 90 degrees to shut the water off. I think that the OP original tap had to be screwed down a few turns to shut the water off.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

If it is a 1/2 inch , I normally use a a 3/4 valve with two 3/4 to 1/2 inch adopters  because the ball valve opening is IMO  too small and restricts flow even when wide open . A half incH ball valve has .3"" port opening, and a 3/4 ball valve has a .5" opening

So a 3/4 ball valve does not restricts a .5 inch(1/2") pipe. 

My water input is a 3/4 pipe with a U bend sticking up about 9 to 13 inches. unfortunate when the built the house about 20 years ago all the pipes, especially in the house walls and under the concrete outside are 1/2 inch pipes.

Personally I prefer working with 1 inch pipe for a better water flow.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

This picture can best explain it . The seal is probably rubber, and the rubber has deteriorated, ot there is an obstruction that prevents the valve from fully closing. Cheaper and easier to replace it with a ball valve if possible. 

image.png.5b2a632c01eb78e3a82bfe47e232532e.png

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Until we know by picture what valve you have there is NO correct answer to your question... it could be any number of reasons ranging from deterioration of rubber to just plain old dirt in the system.

Turn main off at meter.

Take off wheel on top,  remove center components. ( large nut )

turn water on see if water is flowing.

if all ok,

go to Somchai shop, get new valve the same and replace inner components from new valve. leave old valve housing in place.

Or just get Somchai to come and fix it all.

It won't be big money.

Don't over think this.

Edited by quake

48 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Until we know by picture what valve you have there is NO correct answer to your question... it could be any number of reasons ranging from deterioration of rubber to just plain old dirt in the system.

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

stop valve.png