Traveling with an eTA for Canada

When applying for a visitor visa to Canada for my wife (Thai). The website suggested an eTA, electronic travel authorization. So we applied and got one. My wife got one because she has had visas to Canada before. Now I am wondering if she still needs a visa. The gov website made it seem like a substitute for a visa. But we don't know for sure, and can't get that information from the websites.

I fear that we will find out at the airport that the visa is required.

I would like to know for sure. There is still time to apply for a visa, but not much.

Has anyone from here had experience with an eTA for a Thai person?

Travellers who may be eligible to apply for an eTA:

• Citizens from select visa-required countries may be eligible to apply for an eTA, instead of a visa, to travel to Canada by air. However, these travellers need a visitor visa when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship

instead of a visa. so because your wife has previously obtained a canadian visa the eta is all that is required now. 

was the visa she had before in the last 10 years ? 

Who can apply

You are eligible to apply for an eTA if you meet 3 requirements:

• you’ve held a Canadian visitor visa (temporary resident visa) in the past 10 years or currently hold a valid United States nonimmigrant visa
  • you’re coming to Canada for a short visit, business or tourist activity (normally for stays of up to 6 months)
  • you’re flying to or transiting through a Canadian airport using a valid passport from one of the eligible visa-required countries

If you do not meet all of the requirements, you need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to travel to Canada.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yes her last visa was in 2018.

Thank you for your help. It is so hard to ask specific questions these days. So in your opinion, since we have a eTA, we are good to go?

seems so according to the regulations. visa was within the last 10 years. i did read one other part that said she may be asked some questions upon arrival as well. 

does she still have the old visa ? if it is in an old passport you need to bring that one as well. 

pretty sure you are ok but i would still call the embassy. in my experience ccra can be tricky at times. 

Edited by stoner