Motorbike To Pai

bungalowbill

If you don't speed and drive safely, I'd say the road is fine for anyone on a bike or car. Some of the uphill and downhill parts you must be careful on. Very nice drive if you can relax.. :o

Anyone know if the the road to Pai from Chiang Mai is OK? Other than getting a little wet on the motorbike....are the road conditions OK?

The last stretch of road coming down into the Pai valley is pretty much pristine as it was refurbished recently.

The first steep climb has a fair number of potholes and blemishes though. Last week when I drove there the road as a whole was in good condition, but this being the rainy season, bear in mind that heavy rains can bring mudslides.

Another thing: on our way to MaeHongSon, I did not fill the tank with fuel and had to get 2 liters from a little hand pump on the side of the road. My current boyfriend reminds us that if you break down en route, you might not get much assistance. It's like a jungle out there. And unlike one of my travelling companions, you don't speak Tai Yai! :o

Car, motorsai, mountain bike, piece a cake apart from this time of year on a treader. The best way is to take a scrambler through Samoeng along the backroads if you're a little adventurous :o although could be a bit crap in a downpour.

My current boyfriend reminds us that if you break down en route, you might not get much assistance

Why's that? You mean something that 100 baht wouldn't solve for someone to go fetch a mechanic from the nearest village?

(And most likely would be free, even)

Edited by Sanpatong

My current boyfriend reminds us that if you break down en route, you might not get much assistance

Why's that? You mean something that 100 baht wouldn't solve for someone to go fetch a mechanic from the nearest village?

Perhaps so. My current b/f, in contrast to the one he replaced, has probably never been to MHSon and doesn't speak Tai Yai.

Agreed. A few years ago, my 750 Honda got a rear flat on the Pai/MHS road. In the next 10 minutes, 2 cars drove by. One going in the right direction (Pai) stopped, even though I hadn't signalled him to stop. Anyway, he had a small pickup, and we shoved my bike in the back (for free) for the ride into Pai. He dropped me & Bike at a mechanic who could do the work I needed, and waved me goodbye. :o

Edited by Ajarn

Agreed. A few years ago, my 750 Honda got a rear flat on the Pai/MHS road. In the next 10 minutes, 2 cars drove by. One going in the right direction (Pai) stopped, even though I hadn't signalled him to stop. Anyway, he had a small pickup, and we shoved my bike in the back (for free) for the ride into Pai. He dropped me & Bike at a mechanic who could do the work I needed, and waved me goodbye. :D

:D

If I've stopped for whatever reason, someone usually pulls over to see if I need help. Superb! :o