Learning Thai from long time expat and businessman. Hello and thankyou.

Goat

16 minutes ago, Goat said:

I always had thought the hello greeting was "Sawadee Krap" and that "Khop khun krap" was how to say thankyou.

Nothing wrong with that.

To each his own....

He's selling the 'dream', and of course he wants everyone to be as successful as he apparently is, I've seen some of his YouTube vids promoting restaurants, seems to be a bit of a free loader.

Edited by roo860
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Very informative video from Dan today. Dan about Thailand.

From watching it I discovered that I have been saying "hello" in Thailand wrong all these years.

Which is obviously quite embarrassing. I am an idiot.

Dan tells the story of him greeting a staff member in his office by saying "Krap" which he tells us is a shortened version of the hello greeting "Khop khun krap".

I always had thought the hello greeting was "Sawadee Krap" and that "Khop khun krap" was how to say thankyou.

So according to Dan, i have also been saying "hello'' to people all these years when i thought I was thanking them. And thanking them every time I was trying to say "hello"

Dan then goes on to tell us that the Thai replied with "Krap On'' 

So now I am more confused. For years I thought this was pronounced "Krap Pom" and once again thought this phrase was a {shortened/abbreviated} way to say thankyou. And not to say hello.

So I have been saying it wrong AND have the meaning confused.

With probably what are the two most basic words.

I am ashamed. What a complete an utter buffoon i have been all these years. 

Thanks Dan for helping all us expats well informed.

And I look forward to learning more Thai language from the famous blogger.

And I can not stop thinking how much Dan's staff must admire the way he has immersed him so much into their culture and how proud they must be.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/gAYx2UVsAzqMwnMD/?mibextid=VI5BsZ

I don't think you said something wrong at all. Wouldn't thank others too much.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I always enjoy being tutored by Dan about Thai culture in which he is so expert not to mention hearing about exciting business opportunities. I would single out the guided tours of shabby chic Pattaya condos and recommended all you can eat dining spots in that delightful metropolis.All this in his dulcet English tones so reminiscent of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Tutored? Or tortured?

His business acumen is right up there with his Thai language expertise.

It is absolutely amazing to me firstly that after two decades of living in Thailand he doesn't know the difference between hello and thankyou.

And after all these years that he thinks that "krap pom' is pronounced "krap on"

And that he  seriously considers himself an "influencer" and "business agitator".

Maybe all the botox has paralyzed his brain?

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, proton said:

Dan can't even pronounce Pattaya properly, good to see he's got as far as hello😁

No, he has mucked that up also.

Incredibly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, expat_4_life said:

@goat
you would be well advised to get Thai Lessons from someone other than Dan

What about dating Thai women, business advice, tax advice and real estate advice?

It is all on his vlog.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Goat said:

From watching it I discovered that I have been saying "hello" in Thailand wrong all these years.

Which is obviously quite embarrassing. I am an idiot.

You are not alone.

It's great that we have experienced people who share their knowledge with us. 😉 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Goat said:

Tutored? Or tortured?

His business acumen is right up there with his Thai language expertise.

It is absolutely amazing to me firstly that after two decades of living in Thailand he doesn't know the difference between hello and thankyou.

And after all these years that he thinks that "krap pom' is pronounced "krap on"

And that he  seriously considers himself an "influencer" and "business agitator".

Maybe all the botox has paralyzed his brain?

Khrup phum