Bank Statement Requirements For One Year Retirement Visa Extension?

41 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Did you read the Dr respond or mines.  All one has to do is look at your bank book to see if it is current or not. Reason I make a deposit of a 1000 then get a letter to verified the total which should be last entry reason I xerox all the pages of the passport attach it to the bank letter.

This method Ive never had anyone question he looks at the dates on the copies that I have met all the requirement as you are noting and Im done in 10 minutes.

In fact the guy seems pissed at times that I have things in order cant make me jump through their hoops. This year just done ladt month he ran thrpugh everything twice then took my passport started to xerox all the pages making another set handed to me to sign I ask did I miss something said No, told him I have extra copies if he needed more. No humor I was out 12 minutes.

As I said, it depends on your immigration office. My office require proof of meeting the financial requirements for the whole year. I can't be bothered to update my passbook regularly then get a new one when it is full. My preference is to get a one year statement and update my passbook on the day I do my extension. In and out in 11 minutes.

• Sad 1

Based on all the various experiences and interpretations of Immigration requirements in the many IM branches though out the years of AN posts, the whole Thai VISA immigration system for foreigners here is a typical Thai Cluster F......

One Thai Immigration VISA legislation, one set of requirements and rules and one set of implementation policies by ALL IO's.

Surely no too much to ask for!

A bit like the road rules here in Thailand, all just guidelines in the wild west.

• Sad 1

On 2/15/2024 at 5:44 PM, TylerBKK said:

Thank you. That sounds like a great solution. Not sure why that hasn't been discussed yet. You will probably have to pay for two statements, but it's well worth it for the convenience and time saved. 

I assume what that means is that any BBL branch can generate a 6 month statement on the spot for any time period and that only a statement request covering a period beyond 6 months is the challenge. 

Years ago I had a Thai bank account that didn't have a passbook and the bank could only create 1 month statements for the account and they would give me 12 of those. That worked too for immigration purposes.

Immigration doesn't require it to be in one statement, just as long as the 12 month preceding period is covered by the statements. 

The cost is not a lot different, the 12 months is more expensive. just check with your local branch. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, if your 12 month statement only covers you up until say 4-5 days prior to the date of your application to extend your visa, then what will immigration expect you to do to cover the proof of balance for those 4-5 days in between? 

On 2/15/2024 at 4:26 PM, colinchaffers said:

I got two 6 month statements, on half way through the year, the other at the end, these can by done at your local branch on the day. 

I went to the local Bangkok Bank branch where I opened the account. They could only give me a 6 month statement on the spot. I asked for two 6 month statements for the two different 6 month periods, but they told me their system doesn't allow them to enter a date older than 6 months.

Cost is 100 Baht for the 6 month statement. A 12 month statement takes 3 business days to order from the head office at a cost of 200 Baht. 

You can download a 12 month statement from your Internet banking and it gets emailed to you instantly at no cost. But as we know, this kind of statement does not have a bank stamp on it and likely won't be accepted. I downloaded one and it looks identical to ones printed by the bank at the branch, just no stamp or signature. 

For the 800k (or 400k) in the bank approach, for proof of funds for a 1-year extension, the annoying slowness of Bangkok Bank to provide such a 12-month statement, is one reason why a number of us switched from Bangkok Bank to another Thai bank.  In my case, when I was on a Type-OA visa, I switched from using Bangkok Bank to instead using Krungsri Bank, where Krungsri will issue the 12-month statement on the spot (here in Phuket).

However if one is using the monthly deposit route of 65k THB/month instead  , and if one needs to show the money coming into the bank from abroad on a monthly basis, and if one is also using Wise (formerly transfer wise) to transfer the money into Thailand,  then IMHO in that case, Bangkok Bank may be best bank to use, as they tend to be more reliable than other banks, when flagging a 'Wise' transfer as coming from outside of Thailand. 

So if using Wise (for monthly transfers from outside of Thailand) I would recommend staying with Bangkok bank and accept the annoyance of the 3 day to 1 week delay to obtain the annual statement.  But if using the 400k (married) or 800K amount in one's account, change banks from Bangkok bank to another bank.   

Of course, all in my humble opinion (IMHO).

Ubonjoe was forever correcting people who spoke of a one-year retirement visa, no such thing from CW.

The correct term is an extension of permission to stay based on retirement.

A visa is what you apply for outside of Thailand when you wish to travel here.

17 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

I went to the local Bangkok Bank branch where I opened the account. They could only give me a 6 month statement on the spot. I asked for two 6 month statements for the two different 6 month periods, but they told me their system doesn't allow them to enter a date older than 6 months.

Cost is 100 Baht for the 6 month statement. A 12 month statement takes 3 business days to order from the head office at a cost of 200 Baht. 

You can download a 12 month statement from your Internet banking and it gets emailed to you instantly at no cost. But as we know, this kind of statement does not have a bank stamp on it and likely won't be accepted. I downloaded one and it looks identical to ones printed by the bank at the branch, just no stamp or signature. 

I get a 12 month statement from Bangkok bank to support my 65K monthly income retirement extension and its never signed or stamped. Korat immigration accept it no problem.