Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Flying with niece

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

We'll be flying from Chiang Rai to Ubon in a few days accompanied by our nine year old niece. Her mother is already there. Do we need any kind of documentation to allow her to fly  with us?

Why don't you ask her mum?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

That's a dubious generalization.

How so? They have been living there for 30 or 40 years. Should know. International flights require letter and phone number to confirm. Domestic maybe nothing but a Thai who flies would know.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, retarius said:

Why would a Thai mother know what are the requirements for a farang accompanying a Thai child is? 

A Thai person who flies would know domestic flying regulations. Maybe buses are the same.

Nothing to do with farang. It's a non parent travelling with a child.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, uttradit said:

A Thai person who flies would know domestic flying regulations. Maybe buses are the same.

Utter nonsense. If a Thai Child is travelling with a Thai adult, how would anyone know whether the child is the daughter of the adult or not. Thai's  don't have to show a passport to board a plane. I've never been on a bus here, so I don't know what the regulations are. People tend to know only the laws (roughly) about the things/situation that have impacted them directly in. the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, retarius said:

Utter nonsense. If a Thai Child is travelling with a Thai adult, how would anyone know whether the child is the daughter of the adult or not. Thai's  don't have to show a passport to board a plane. I've never been on a bus here, so I don't know what the regulations are. People tend to know only the laws (roughly) about the things/situation that have impacted them directly in. the past. 

Easy for staff to ask at check in. Thai websites only mention international flights. I doubt you need anything domestic but maybe a phone call. Staff is very relaxed on domestic flights.

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

We'll be flying from Chiang Rai to Ubon in a few days accompanied by our nine year old niece. Her mother is already there. Do we need any kind of documentation to allow her to fly  with us?

She will have her ID card for the flight, she can explain. (Same Surname? )

Mum standing by on LINE/ phone  to explain if required? At time of check in.

Never been asked for anything, flying domestically with the son when he was younger.

Ask at BKK for him potentially / flying internationally his Grandfather, Just suggested that a copy of his birth cert showing same surname be carried.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, uttradit said:

You're wrong. It has as much to do with being a foreigner as well as not being the child's parent.

I would think that if the foreigner is travelling with his Thai wife, then a letter of consent might be required.

Alternatively, the poster could ask the airline.

13 hours ago, 300sd said:

Print up a consent letter for domestic travel with niece, and get the mother to sign it. If you need help then message me.

That with the mother's phone number and insurance of availability for a call would be close to a sure thing, lowest risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife's niece and nephew come with us all the time, no questions asked.

Main thing is to have their name on the ticket "exactly" as it is on their ID card.(applies to everyone )

Not uncommon (in our case) for one sibling to have their surname spelled differently from the other.

Mismatched spelling means "new ticket please" at the extra cost.

17 hours ago, uttradit said:

How so? They have been living there for 30 or 40 years. Should know. International flights require letter and phone number to confirm. Domestic maybe nothing but a Thai who flies would know.

Why don't you just help the OP? 

Yes, you always need ID when flying. A nine year old is old enough for an ID-card (7 years); otherwise a birth certificate (perhaps even a photocopy) might do it as identification – my girlfriend and I used the latter, before our daughter was old enough for a Thai ID-card. You should ask the airline, what they require of proof of identity for a nine year old child.