Rayong

Mike Lister

I haven't been there in years. I considered Mae Him as a home location when I first came here and drove around but they had problems on the beach with off shore pollution being blown in and then all the restaurants along the water side burned dow. I do hope it has recovered. 

• Thanks 1

We often take a few days down there.  Mae Ram Pheung beach is nice, Khao Lem Ya (small national park at the end).  Very very quiet on weekdays. There are a few condos along there (Russians are moving in now), a few resorts and small hotels.  Just after Christmas we stayed at Sunvada Beach Villas - newly opened and very clean. There is also Saeng Chan (Moonlight) beach, but not as nice IMHO.

• Like 1

Ban Chang is quite pleasant and some good restaurants. The Lord Nelson Hotel, has good food, bar and swimming pool, I have never stayed there, but have used the restaurant

and bar. edit. I meant to add it faces the 'beach'

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Ban Chang is quite pleasant and some good restaurants. The Lord Nelson Hotel, has good food, bar and swimming pool, I have never stayed there, but have used the restaurant and bar.

Stayed at the Royal Phala Cliff Beach Resort and Spa at Ban Chang in December 2023. Decent hotel with large swimming pool. Good restaurant with food being available all day. One block was under refurbishment. Situated upon the beach but not recommended due to plastic, waste and broken bottles. A few small bars/cafes within easy walking distance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Stayed at the Royal Phala Cliff Beach Resort and Spa at Ban Chang in December 2023. Decent hotel with large swimming pool. Good restaurant with food being available all day. One block was under refurbishment. Situated upon the beach but not recommended due to plastic, waste and broken bottles. A few small bars/cafes within easy walking distance.

I believe the lord nelson keeps their beach clean they also have parasols on the beach.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, uttradit said:

Mae Phim beach is pretty good. Rayong just a launching pad for Samet. Samet great beaches.

Mae Phim by far the best beach & (quiet) holiday spot in Rayong - and probably the whole of the east coast

• Thanks 1

Just spent a few days down there. The beaches are lovely and almost deserted. But it is VERY quiet, not much to do apart from enjoying the beach.  Can recommend a great restaurant, The White House, just off Mae Ram Phueng beach. Also Rayong Aquarium is a must see.

• Thanks 1

depends how far you want to venture. city of rayong, banchang, the coast beach close to samet (sorry forgot the name of the town)

the hotel kantary bay has got a beach right in front... use to be kantary bay hotel was a good hotel. give more info and maybe can help.

sa kaeow beach in sattahip has got small bungalows you can rent for the night. about beaches sa kaeow (it is an army run beach) is the best by far and not too far away... i knowq it is in sattahip and you mentoned sattahip so you prolly know it already

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

depends how far you want to venture. city of rayong, banchang, the coast beach close to samet (sorry forgot the name of the town)

the hotel kantary bay has got a beach right in front... use to be kantary bay hotel was a good hotel. give more info and maybe can help.

sa kaeow beach in sattahip has got small bungalows you can rent for the night. about beaches sa kaeow (it is an army run beach) is the best by far and not too far away... i knowq it is in sattahip and you mentoned sattahip so you prolly know it already

Thanks. I know Sa Kaeow Beach well, right on the naval base but didn't know they have bungalows to rent, useful to know.

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Thanks. I know Sa Kaeow Beach well, right on the naval base but didn't know they have bungalows to rent, useful to know.

I don't think they have a/c. Was just there, the bungalows are old. Guess it could be fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

yeah, that is what my wife told me. how to go about renting one thought I can't help you with that. for me, that is the beach of choice. nicest one in sattahip and rayong. close to samed they have beaches on the coast too but I am not familiar as much with that area... banchang has got some ok'ish beaches and there is a kantary bay hotel here now... great seafood by the beach... if you come around here i can give you directions. 3 beaches here in banchang. sometimes, though, there is detritus on the beaches... depends on the tide. If you want clean water... sakeaow is the place

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't think they have a/c. Was just there, the bungalows are old. Guess it could be fun.

what about the new bungalows made from 'nano bricks'... me thinks the have all the amenities... when facing the beach they are on the right side. the old bungalows are on the left side... I agree... the old bungalows do look old... but might be like a trip down memory lane to Gilligan's Island...  but they still looked ok last time i went

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

If you want nice then I'd pass on the bungalows. Google Marriott Rayong. I stayed there couple years back. Real nice, buffet breakfast was stupendous, beautiful pools, beach front. Not too far from the local beach area with restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

If you want nice then I'd pass on the bungalows. Google Marriott Rayong. I stayed there couple years back. Real nice, buffet breakfast was stupendous, beautiful pools, beach front. Not too far from the local beach area with restaurants.

Yes, a previous poster sent me a link to the hotel, that's me sorted! :))

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

There are a number of attractive beaches on Koh Samet, many restaurants, good bungalow accomodation with aircon, and discos/nightlife on weekends. 

Disco's you say, do they have zimmer frame parking?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

We normally take a beach break in February, this year Madam suggested Rayong, ordinarily we'd probably hit Pattaya/Sattahip or Koh Chang, followed by Hua Hin. Is Rayong worthwhile for a few beach days in a nice hotel? Any tips, tricks and recommendations, gratefully received. Looking for a nice beach and a nice hotel. We don't have to scrimp on the costs because Madam in paying. 🙂

Saeng Chan beach at Rayong is well worth a visit. I thhink the erosion defence that has been constructed will make it very popular in the future. I stayed at the Kantary Bay hotel which was very nice and not very far from the town. Also a mangrove conservation nearby.

https://beachsearcher.com/en/beach/764201679/saeng-chan-beach#

Another nice place along that coast is Mae Phim, bit of a sleepy hollow with nice beach and Irish bar. Stayed at The Poem there but think there is better available.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Don't know what it's like these days, can't imagine it's improved,  but I lived a couple of years in the Kantary Bay for work, really enjoyed it and a nice quiet getaway for weekenders. That said I never dipped my toes in the water, it has the highest proven rate of cancer/body deformity amongst new borns in any country in the world. You're basically having a chemical bath and surprise surprise it's completely covered up.

Don't let me put you off but I'd pass on the prawn cocktail, it's an ecological disaster.

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

Don't know what it's like these days, can't imagine it's improved,  but I lived a couple of years in the Kantary Bay for work, really enjoyed it and a nice quiet getaway for weekenders. That said I never dipped my toes in the water, it has the highest proven rate of cancer/body deformity amongst new borns in any country in the world. You're basically having a chemical bath and surprise surprise it's completely covered up.

Don't let me put you off but I'd pass on the prawn cocktail, it's an ecological disaster.

i would tend to agree. around rayong there seems to be a total disregard for the environment. with the petrol companies chugging away i have heard the water is polluted even down in samet. sa keaow is in a sort of bay and this is why i 'like it'. my hopes there are the water is not as polluted. i know that this is unlikely. in banchang, when i go to the beach and take a dip, my skin feels itchy after and i hurry to take a shower.  the petrol container ships dump their garbage overboard and detritus can be found on the beaches when the tides catch it and drag it in. it is quite a shame no one enforces anything here seeing how it could be quite pristine if the container ships were fined for their waste disposal... and the petrol companies too. don't get me wrong, i still love living in banchang, but i just wish the thais would take care of it better. unfortunately no one listens to foreigners.

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Kantary Hills or Marriot Rayong?

I checked out the Kantary online, I know the Marriott is nice from my previous visit but the Kantary looks very nice also.