Thai visitors to Japan

Hello hive mind,

My wife all of a sudden wants to travel to Japan with her daughter for 5 days. I know they officially don't need a visa, but is it like Korea where Thais often get denied entry despite a visa? Anyone have any experience with this? It would be her first solo trip, am I worrying too much?

About your last question, Japan is in general a very very safe country. However, English is not very widely spoken and, assuming she cannot speak/read basic Japanese, she might be a little confused with transportation, ordering food, and enjoying her trip in full. Make sure she has and can use at least a good translator phone app, preferably one that can read written Japanese. Also check that her phone will work over there, including internet. eg, AIS sells SIM cards here in Thailand that will work overseas, called sim2fly. I am sure other providers have similar. Other than that, it should be a great experience!

• Like 1

GF and daughter just took a trip to Japan for 6 days with a tour company. Had a great time, no issues no problems, no problems. Only issue was the weather, very cold since they went in League November early December. You're still interested a prayer food along with the tour was quite good, 45,000 baht per person for 6 days including hotels and airfare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

About your last question, Japan is in general a very very safe country. However, English is not very widely spoken and, assuming she cannot speak/read basic Japanese, she might be a little confused with transportation, ordering food, and enjoying her trip in full. Make sure she has and can use at least a good translator phone app, preferably one that can read written Japanese. Also check that her phone will work over there, including internet. eg, AIS sells SIM cards here in Thailand that will work overseas, called sim2fly. I am sure other providers have similar. Other than that, it should be a great experience!

Thanks a lot. Yes, I am concerned about all those things you mentioned too, but only asked about the visa on this forum. With regards to sim cards, I've started using eSims through an app called Airalo. It's really cheap and can be used in most countries. It's very convenient as you don't have to change your SIM card. I highly recommend it.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op - we’re in Japan every year…

(and also here in Japan right now - just checked in online while slow eaters finished their Ramen)

Japan immigration are nothing like Korea who are particularly nasty towards Thai women in a tit-for-tat immigration battle (Thailand is also particularly hard on Koreans coming here)…

She’ll have no issues entering Japan (I see plenty of single Thai women in the Immigration queue) - no need to worry about language issues…   She’ll be able to work the transport out (all part of the experience !)…

The excellent thing about Japan - no scams so she cab feel confident about stepping into the unknown.

Easy come with AIS, True, DTAC - just get a roaming package for a week. 

Thank you. How's the weather in July? My Google research seems to indicate unbearably hot and rainy.

Never had an issue despite several visits of two weeks each. Very considerate immigration clerks. 👏

does anyone have experience with longer tourist visa for Japan as we‘d like to stay for a month? Is such a visa hard to get from Japanese embassy in Bangkok?

On 2/17/2024 at 10:24 AM, khagai1 said:

GF and daughter just took a trip to Japan for 6 days with a tour company. Had a great time, no issues no problems, no problems. Only issue was the weather, very cold since they went in League November early December. You're still interested a prayer food along with the tour was quite good, 45,000 baht per person for 6 days including hotels and airfare.

May I ask which tour company they went with?