Family feud over billion-baht legacy rocks northern Thailand

snoop1130

famfeud.jpg

A family feud over a billion-baht inheritance from a prominent family in Nakhon Ratchasima province has escalated, with both sides engaging in a fiery exchange of allegations. Three of the four heirs have been ousted from the inheritance following the patriarch’s death, instigating a series of public revelations and legal battles that have captivated public interest.

On February 13, three of the four heirs, accompanied by their legal team, held a press conference to present documents and video clips to plead for justice. They alleged several irregularities, such as a dubious will, transfer of land titles, and their exclusion from the inheritance.

One heir mentioned that their father passed away on December 10, 2022, and a will dated September 2, 2021, suspiciously left the entire estate to a single child. This raised suspicions as medical records from late 2020 diagnosed the father with dementia, questioning his capacity to perform legal transactions.

The heirs highlighted several issues: a withdrawal of 134 million baht from a fund, with no trace of the money or knowledge of who withdrew it; changes in the land titles of over 300 acres worth over 5 billion baht using forged signatures; and the transfer of ownership of three institutions from their father to their mother.

They also noted disparities in their father’s signature on the will and the envelope, suspecting that he might not have been mentally fit to sign. Additionally, they contested the handling of their father’s funeral, which diverged from his Chinese heritage and expressed concerns over their mother’s demeanour following their father’s illness, which seemed to favour the eldest child.

The following day, February 14, the mother held a press conference to counter the accusations. She likened her sons to pillars of a house, now infested by termites – implying their wives – that have led to its collapse.

By Samantha Rose

Caption: Picture courtesy of Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Why not do the most honourable thing - give it all to charity!!

Who are you suggesting should give it away? Would you give away billions to charity?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

What Thais fighting over money, gold and an inheritance, I never, really! Who'd have thought?

Thailand one big soap opera of false smiles, greed and avarice washed down with a nod, (and a Yai), to Buddha for redemption.

I agree but to be fair there are more disputes, fights,falling outs, court cases,violence etc etc over wills and inheritances than just about any other reason worldwide.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, thesetat said:

Wow.. Are you really so racist against foreigners to make such a comment? Phil1964 comment was being sarcastic but justified. So why tell him to leave simply because his comment reflects what you did not like? I also do not see anything in his comment stating his hate for Thais. 

All of his posts are anti Thai... he was not being sarcastic... he was being hateful.

• Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

What Thais fighting over money, gold and an inheritance, I never, really! Who'd have thought?

Thailand one big soap opera of false smiles, greed and avarice washed down with a nod, (and a Yai), to Buddha for redemption.

Much like the Beach Boys family circling the wagons to protect their inheritance.

• Confused 1

Just now, Skipalongcassidy said:

Why not... he hates it so much... or should the Thais change so that he likes it more?

He is one is just one guy, I don't even think the locals would notice him!

59 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

suggest you replace thais with people, as this happens all over the world. my financial advisor back home has told me how many families fight over money

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

He is one is just one guy, I don't even think the locals would notice him!

That's not the point... I know that he is insignificant... obviously he knows it too... so he posts hateful statements about Thais... wouldn't it make sense for such an unhappy person to seek somewhere to live that he likes rather than be malcontent?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

2 hours ago, loong said:

Who are you suggesting should give it away? Would you give away billions to charity?

The Gates do it, same as Bezo's Ex-wife. So?

They are not giving it all away, for sure they are keeping a large amount.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The following day, February 14, the mother held a press conference to counter the accusations. She likened her sons to pillars of a house, now infested by termites – implying their wives – that have led to its collapse.

The mother-in-law from hell.....LOL

On 2/17/2024 at 11:17 AM, findlay13 said:

I agree but to be fair there are more disputes, fights,falling outs, court cases,violence etc etc over wills and inheritances than just about any other reason worldwide.

So true.  My father left his estate to my son and now my fathers carer has filed court action for 100%. She wasn't a live in carer and was paid, it was her job.

On 2/17/2024 at 6:04 AM, loong said:

I read there is a new gofundme page for Trumps court settlement to New York. Perhaps they would send it there haha..

• Haha 1