Posting My Laptop Over From The Uk

Cinders

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get some of my belongings over from the UK. The most important thing is my old laptop that's at my parents.

It old and second hand, probably worth about 300 UK Pounds. I really need it as it has a lot of personal data.

If I get my brother to federal express it over to me will I get hit by customs?... Someone told me I'd have to pay 30% of the value.

Is this true?... If it is, is there any way of avoiding this charge?

I don't mind paying something, but 30% of it's value seems a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Cinders.

I have send mine by post and customs just let it go . The only time I had to pay something was for CD"S.

Just write a smaller amount on the package then it is really worth :o So if it is taken out it will be a small

amount to pay for . And it is absolutely not 30% . More in the range of 10 % , but I am not totally sure about this .

I think you would be foolish to do this, despite what the previous poster said. Suppose you are hit for hefty duty? Your data is then hostage. Putting a low ball value is risky, and the customs people, whatever you might think of them, are not always that stupid. Duty can be whimsical at times. I am sure that others will post their customs disaster stories here for you to read.

Why would it be hefty duty ? Anyway the OP still wants his laptop with him , the customs can see it is second hand and old .

In Thailand you can by them for 10 -15 k , so for sure he would not have to put more on it then 150 pounds .

In what range of payment does a hefty duty count for QT ? He could take the chance , look what happens and if

taken out pay the duty . At least he still has got his laptop . Or do I miss something ?

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get some of my belongings over from the UK. The most important thing is my old laptop that's at my parents.

It old and second hand, probably worth about 300 UK Pounds. I really need it as it has a lot of personal data.

If I get my brother to federal express it over to me will I get hit by customs?... Someone told me I'd have to pay 30% of the value.

Thanks in advance,

Cinders.

If it is sent via fedex the customs will be very hefty. Not only the assumed value, but also the postage fees will be counted for customs. With normal airmail you might have a better chance to pay no customs, and if opened then the customs fees will be lower.

But if important personal data is on that computer i would maybe not have it sent. Or, take the hard drive out and have only that one sent.

Jackr has a good suggestion. You could also have someone remove the hard drive, and send that. Once you have it here you could have a technician remove the data you need.

If you want to post the laptop, your sender could mark the package as "GIFT". That would reduce the chance that customs would try to extort money out of you. Gift items seem to be exempt from customs tax. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Upcountry

Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Cinders.

If it is sent via fedex the customs will be very hefty. Not only the assumed value, but also the postage fees will be counted for customs. With normal airmail you might have a better chance to pay no customs, and if opened then the customs fees will be lower.

But if important personal data is on that computer i would maybe not have it sent.

I have disagreed with ColPyat in the past, but I am in total accord with what he is written here . The courier services almost always get hit, and hit hard. Postal service is far better. I see the OP will just wait 2 weeks to pick it up, which is the preferable option here.

Edited by qualtrough

I got hit a few years back by customs when I tried to have a laptop bought in by DHL. I can't remember how much I ended up paying but it was a long, drawn out affair. I wouldn't advise it. Better to bring it in by hand if possible.

I shipped some bicycle parts via US Mail and got clobbered by customs' fees. I don't remember the exact figure, but 30% sounds about right. Important computer data should be sent via mail only if the data is encrypted. Otherwise, jackr's idea is a good one.

Frank