ED-Visa Ending: Seeking Help with Border Run and Passport Status.Need to Clear my passport?

I am planning to conduct a border run as my ED-visa is ended. Upon visiting a visa agency for assistance, I was informed that I would need to pay 3000 baht for the border run itself and an additional 3000 baht to clear my passport from the ED-visa status, totaling 6000 baht. I am unsure if this additional fee to clear my passport is legitimate, especially considering I have already canceled my ED-visa.

Alternatively, I am considering flying out of Thailand to Cambodia and returning via a border crossing. Given that my proficiency in the Thai language is limited, I am concerned about potential language assessments at the airport. Therefore, I am contemplating re-entering Thailand through the Khlong Yai border crossing. Could you please advise if this plan is advisable?

I have never undertaken a border run in Thailand before and would appreciate any guidance or insights you can provide. Thank you."

16 minutes ago, driveout said:

I was informed that I would need to pay 3000 baht for the border run itself and an additional 3000 baht to clear my passport from the ED-visa status, totaling 6000 baht

The extra 3k would get you back into Thailand however not erase your record of stays in Thailand 

33 minutes ago, driveout said:

I am unsure if this additional fee to clear my passport is legitimate, especially considering I have already canceled my ED-visa.

Consider it a fee for being allowed to re-enter without getting hassled. Legitimate? Well...

What's your plan after re-entering? If you want to continue to stay in Thailand, possibly on another education visa, it's probably best to just pay that extra fee.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Consider it a fee for being allowed to re-enter without getting hassled. Legitimate? Well...

What's your plan after re-entering? If you want to continue to stay in Thailand, possibly on another education visa, it's probably best to just pay that extra fee.

yeah my plan is to get one more ed-visa for 1 year. The thing is that some say this fee is not needed 

7 hours ago, driveout said:

yeah my plan is to get one more ed-visa for 1 year. The thing is that some say this fee is not needed 

What's the ED visa you've been on for, and what's the one you're planning to get for?

21 hours ago, driveout said:

Given that my proficiency in the Thai language is limited, I am concerned about potential language assessments

Have you "studied" Thai language? Or merely bought a visa in order to do all sorts of stuff in Thailand, legal and illegal?

3 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Have you "studied" Thai language? Or merely bought a visa in order to do all sorts of stuff in Thailand, legal and illegal?

I have but its not so good. It was a bit hard.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

Sorry that I cannot help you, I'm still trying to find out what "clear passport" means.

He thinks a new passport that does not show his history means previous history is unavailable (clear pp).

He is mistaken 

• 1 month later...

There is a charge of 1000 baht extra for Ed visas .

2000 extra if you have not closed your visa before arriving at the border.

Soo make sure you get the letter from your school and go to your local immigration before your border run

I am unclear after reading this (and a friend is interested in the ED visa):

What does it mean to "...clear my passport from the ED-visa status"? 

I know I can check with various schools, but does anybody happen to know current rates for any bona fide Thai language schools that would qualify one for a 1-year ED visa? My friend was quoted 27K through an "agent" for Excel Language School, with a quarterly 5K fee if you don't really want to study or 1900 THB quarterly if you actually want to attend classes. Is there some special 90-day reporting required, other than the normal (free) 90-day reporting?

Edited by Peabody

7 hours ago, Peabody said:

I am unclear after reading this (and a friend is interested in the ED visa):

What does it mean to "...clear my passport from the ED-visa status"? 

I know I can check with various schools, but does anybody happen to know current rates for any bona fide Thai language schools that would qualify one for a 1-year ED visa? My friend was quoted 27K through an "agent" for Excel Language School, with a quarterly 5K fee if you don't really want to study or 1900 THB quarterly if you actually want to attend classes. Is there some special 90-day reporting required, other than the normal (free) 90-day reporting?

You can budget about 35k baht for a legit 1 year course to pay to the school. Then you have Immigration fee: visa convertion from tourist/exempt to NON O about 7-10k baht (not always, it depends, you could go to an embassy outside Thailand and apply for NON O), extension every 90 day (1900 b). 90 day report is free, do it yourself. Grand total is about 45-50k for 1 yr legit school.

43 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

You can budget about 35k baht for a legit 1 year course to pay to the school. Then you have Immigration fee: visa convertion from tourist/exempt to NON O about 7-10k baht (not always, it depends, you could go to an embassy outside Thailand and apply for NON O), extension every 90 day (1900 b). 90 day report is free, do it yourself. Grand total is about 45-50k for 1 yr legit school.

Are you sure about the 1900 THB per 90 days? Maybe outside of Pattaya but in Pattaya it costs more but you won't even have to queue anywehre, just go counter 5 đŸ˜…

8 hours ago, pub2022 said:

And you need to attend legit classes?

11 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Are you sure about the 1900 THB per 90 days? Maybe outside of Pattaya but in Pattaya it costs more but you won't even have to queue anywehre, just go counter 5 đŸ˜…

If you attend your classes and don't mind that immigration tests your progress when it's time for an extension, you pay 1900 baht. If you don't want the hassle, you pay more. 

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you attend your classes and don't mind that immigration tests your progress when it's time for an extension, you pay 1900 baht. If you don't want the hassle, you pay more. 

True. Or you just don't want to wait many hours at Immigration and get it done in 30 min.