Phanom Phrai

yosib157

Yesterday I met an Aussie guy in Phanom Phrai who told me that a few expats meet up for a beer on Friday evenings ''near the river". Just follow your nose for about 3 km and it's there maybe near a market -- he said? Anyhoo, me and the wife drove down there and couldn't find anywhere so if any member can give me directions I'd like to take a run down there on Friday just for a chat.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

There are many places called by that name. Suggest you state what province your in.

I usually ignore ignorant farangs who think that everyone knows where they will be without asking if they know the area...

And confirm times and location.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Andycoops said:

There are many places called by that name. Suggest you state what province your in.

I usually ignore ignorant farangs who think that everyone knows where they will be without asking if they know the area...

And confirm times and location.

Thanks for your input although I can't find another. The Phanom Phrai I mean is in Roi Et Province maybe 12 km from Yasothon. I doubt that this added information will produce any results as 55 members read my original posting within the first few hours then it sort of fizzled out.

That said, I was pleased yesterday when someone added a 'thumbs up'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:10 PM, yosib157 said:

Yesterday I met an Aussie guy in Phanom Phrai who told me that a few expats meet up for a beer on Friday evenings ''near the river". Just follow your nose for about 3 km and it's there maybe near a market -- he said? Anyhoo, me and the wife drove down there and couldn't find anywhere so if any member can give me directions I'd like to take a run down there on Friday just for a chat.

Thanks

I'm not trying to be a party pooper so don't think I am ,but....what is so special about this Aussie guy you need to sit with him & drink alcohol?

Of course I avoid people like this , as soon as they want to turn a park by a river in Thailand to another alcohol Induced park I'm out of there 

Aussies are trouble and I should know I'm one 

• Sad 3

There are far more interesting things to do than chat to these drunken Aussies

This year I plan a 2 month holiday in Isaan where I will read "The Psychometrics of Air " and the Psychology & Psychometric of toxicology "

I would rather sit and read by myself than chat to someone 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I do understand however what you mea

1 hour ago, yosib157 said:

Its difficult for me to reply to your comments without getting personal. However, it's not the fact that the guy was Australian but more that he spoke English. My 10 minutes chat with him was the only English conversation I'd had since our New Year's party which was coincidentally with another Aussie. I am the only foreigner for miles and just to sit down with others for an hour or so would be a real treat even without alcohol. Incidentally, I've met and chatted with more Aussies in my 3 years in this area than any other nationality and they've all been fine. Unfortunately, the two guys I got to know best are no longer around.

In my 24 years living here I've never met 2 foreigners who live the same so my motto is best to live and let live.

I understand, and feel empathy for you .

Do you watch " Ricky in Isaan "on YouTube he is also looking for people up that way to talk to.

I think living in Isaan can be a lonely life if you only have Thais for company talking broken english etc .

Sometimes you need a english farang to talk to ,if I was near you I would meet you so we can look at the area and explore the local hospitals, rivers etc

One thing many find weird is I love walking thru cemeteries, I love walking thru hospitals , etc 

There is a few Isaan forums you may be able to ask on

Best of luck 🤞

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

Bet you weren't expecting those replies! 

I know Roiet pretty well and there are lots of expats living there.

The lake itself has a few restaurants that have regular meetups with such folk.

The place you're possibly looking for is a place that serves up decent foreign food. The lady who runs it is very nice.

I can't remember exactly where it is but I recall going through the town in the direction of Kalasin but it's literally 1 minute outside of the main tow area. You turn right onto the river road and it's up there on the left. I can't recall its name.

There's also a place called the Riverside Bar on TripAdvisor. It might be that OR they might be the same place. I can't remember the name, only the location.

Screenshot_2024-02-29-20-24-59-884_com.opera.browser.jpg

9 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

Bet you weren't expecting those replies! 

I know Roiet pretty well and there are lots of expats living there.

The lake itself has a few restaurants that have regular meetups with such folk.

The place you're possibly looking for is a place that serves up decent foreign food. The lady who runs it is very nice.

I can't remember exactly where it is but I recall going through the town in the direction of Kalasin but it's literally 1 minute outside of the main tow area. You turn right onto the river road and it's up there on the left. I can't recall its name.

There's also a place called the Riverside Bar on TripAdvisor. It might be that OR they might be the same place. I can't remember the name, only the location.

Screenshot_2024-02-29-20-24-59-884_com.opera.browser.jpg

7 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Learn to speak Thai.

Thanks for your reply BARNET. I was asked by another guy to add the Province --- so I did. I know all those bars in Roi Et but unfortunately they are about 55km from my village and I'm not looking for an all night session as they finished years ago. My alcohol intake is somewhat restricted by a variety of medical issues and the place I'm talking about is only 15 minutes from me. I know the Riverside and I heard they have quite a following by many Nationalities. I was looking for an hour or so once a month locally chatting in English.

After 23 years living in Isaan I have enough Thai language to get by, but any conversation with Thai village folk is rather limited and not the same as having a crack with other foreigners about world issues etc. 

Contrary to others thinking I need empathy or sympathy, we have a beautiful new house with plenty of space inside and out to sit with a can of beer watching the sunset which I can continue to do alone or occasionally with others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yosib157 said:

Thanks for your reply BARNET. I was asked by another guy to add the Province --- so I did. I know all those bars in Roi Et but unfortunately they are about 55km from my village and I'm not looking for an all night session as they finished years ago. My alcohol intake is somewhat restricted by a variety of medical issues and the place I'm talking about is only 15 minutes from me. I know the Riverside and I heard they have quite a following by many Nationalities. I was looking for an hour or so once a month locally chatting in English.

After 23 years living in Isaan I have enough Thai language to get by, but any conversation with Thai village folk is rather limited and not the same as having a crack with other foreigners about world issues etc. 

Contrary to others thinking I need empathy or sympathy, we have a beautiful new house with plenty of space inside and out to sit with a can of beer watching the sunset which I can continue to do alone or occasionally with others.

Yes mate, I get exactly what you're saying. Everyone needs an outlet once in a while. I lived up there for some time and enjoyed doing things alone but a weekly night out to a local expat pub gave me something to look forward to. I met 2 blokes up there 10 years ago and we're still friends today.

I met plenty of people I wouldn't choose to meet up with but there are loads of decent expats in Isan. I'm sure you'll find the place by asking the locals.

Hello Yosib,

I never heard about the place you mention.

But there are more foreigners in and around P.P. I know because I lived there for some 10 years. Now I moved to Roi et city.

I know there are some in P.P., but also 1 in Ban Kham Hai and There was 1 for sure in Ban Non Sila, but don't know if he is still there. Both near your place.

And until 2 years ago I know at Amazon at the PTT station at the right when you enter P.P. from Roi et used to come some foreigners once a week every Friday morning. I'm not 100% sure of the day and I don't know if they still do, but you can easily ask there. (They came in for a coffee, not for a beer. 🙂 )

I hope this information can help you a little bit. And when you come to Roi Et city you're always welcome to come and have a chat.

6 hours ago, Aha15 said:

Hello Yosib,

I never heard about the place you mention.

But there are more foreigners in and around P.P. I know because I lived there for some 10 years. Now I moved to Roi et city.

I know there are some in P.P., but also 1 in Ban Kham Hai and There was 1 for sure in Ban Non Sila, but don't know if he is still there. Both near your place.

And until 2 years ago I know at Amazon at the PTT station at the right when you enter P.P. from Roi et used to come some foreigners once a week every Friday morning. I'm not 100% sure of the day and I don't know if they still do, but you can easily ask there. (They came in for a coffee, not for a beer. 🙂 )

I hope this information can help you a little bit. And when you come to Roi Et city you're always welcome to come and have a chat.

Thanks Aha, that's the best info I've received so far. As I remember, the guy I met briefly also mentioned they sometimes meet up for coffee so things are now clicking into place. Until a few weeks ago, I used to meet up with another Aussie guy for coffee a few km back along the road to Roi Et but he has moved away. Plus 2 other Brits but they are only around every few months as they are both still working. There are no others until nearer PP. Ban Kham Hai also rings a bell and the guy I met maybe lives there. I'll probably call in at the Amazon place next Friday. We actually live 12 km the opposite direction from PP but only 15 minutes now the roads have been improved -- slightly.

Thanks for the invite to Roi Et. We'll be there in 2 weeks, but as soon as I get my Visa extension business completed, we'll be off on a 4 day break towards Loei Province.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 7:55 AM, yosib157 said:

Thanks for your input although I can't find another. The Phanom Phrai I mean is in Roi Et Province maybe 12 km from Yasothon. I doubt that this added information will produce any results as 55 members read my original posting within the first few hours then it sort of fizzled out.

That said, I was pleased yesterday when someone added a 'thumbs up'

The Phanom Phrai you mention is about 30 minutes drive from my village in Roi Et.

I am nearer to Suwannaphum.

Let me know when you are around to arrange a meet up, if you are still interested.

Cheers

On 3/11/2024 at 8:27 PM, Andycoops said:

The Phanom Phrai you mention is about 30 minutes drive from my village in Roi Et.

I am nearer to Suwannaphum.

Let me know when you are around to arrange a meet up, if you are still interested.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply Andy. At the moment we have a lot of garden work in progress which we need to finish before taking a weeks driving holiday starting on Sunday. I will send you a personal email on our return and maybe meet up.

I Also am pretty sure there is a Dutchman living in At Samat. Don't know if he is reading this forum, but he lives on a perfect spot to arrange a meeting with 4 or more Dutchmen.

Wow, Didn't see that in a long time

On 2/28/2024 at 4:33 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I'm not trying to be a party pooper so don't think I am ,but....what is so special about this Aussie guy you need to sit with him & drink alcohol?

Of course I avoid people like this , as soon as they want to turn a park by a river in Thailand to another alcohol Induced park I'm out of there 

Only Aussies cleaning <deleted>e in Pattaya are.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Aha15 said:

I Also am pretty sure there is a Dutchman living in At Samat. Don't know if he is reading this forum, but he lives on a perfect spot to arrange a meeting with 4 or more Dutchmen.

Wow, Didn't see that in a long time

Thanks for that. 4 Dutchmen eh? That's really a rare site. At out previous home for 18 years I had a few Dutch friends. My best mate returned to the Netherlands the same week we moved here. At Satmat is around 25 km from us so a little far to make arrangements.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 3:33 AM, georgegeorgia said:

More wind up crap from the moron above he just a troll

• Agree 1