Carabao Cup: 'Jurgen Klopp's kids beat Chelsea's billion-pound bottle-jobs' - pundits react

CharlieH

image.png

Plenty might have expected a Liverpool love-in from Jamie Carragher after his beloved Reds' dramatic Carabao Cup final triumph over Chelsea.

But it was his sparring rival Gary Neville who put his Manchester United allegiances firmly to one side, lauding Liverpool - and criticising the beaten Blues.

"Klopp's kids against the blue billion-pound bottle-jobs," remarked the former England full-back on Sky Sports.

"This is Klopp's last few months [as Liverpool boss], but it will be as proud a moment as he's had."

Virgil van Dijk's header two minutes from the end of extra time settled a rollercoaster Wembley final as an injury-hit and youthful Liverpool lifted a record-extending 10th League Cup.

The Reds' average age at the final whistle was less than 22, with five players aged 20 or under and several hugely inexperienced.

Mauricio Pochettino's Chelsea fielded a youthful side themselves, with the average age of their starting XI under 24 and younger than Liverpool's, but they had plenty more experience than their counterparts.

"Chelsea will regret it, these moments will live with you for a long, long time. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever," Neville said of a Blues side who missed a host of chances in normal time and were outplayed in extra time.

"Pochettino's men have shrunk right in front of our eyes and right in front of their own fans.

"I can't believe Chelsea in extra time, what has happened? They have not played, they have not turned up.

READ MORE

sPORT-bbc.png

Looked at the footy results on the BBC www - as I do every morning - and I notice that the EPL game between Wolves and Blades had top spot.

I agree! Far more important in my book. 88k at Wembley though. Someone must like this nonsense comp'.