Buying (and using) a self-inking stamp for my signature on official forms

5davidhen1

I suffer from benign essential tremor, so bad now that my signature is no longer legible unless, on a good day, at home I can take my time and with the help of steadying my right hand with my left, scribe something reasonably passable. Note, I said "on a good day" and these are getting fewer and fewer.

I possess a lawyer's letter, written in English by Magna Carta, Pattaya Klang, which explains my condition, but I was considering buying a stamp.

If I am able to make a reasonably legible signature, I could then have a stamp made of it and use it whenever it is required. 

Q.1.   Has anyone done this and had it accepted as bona fide in a bank or an immigration office?

Q.2.  Can anyone recommend a place to buy such a stamp and, give a ballpark figure on the cost including shipping to Jomtien?  

Thanks, in anticipation,

David.

17 hours ago, bbko said:

Q1; In the past the IO have asked for signature or a thumb print. 

Why not use the thumb route? Carry your own ink pad/wipes, it's much more secure than the possibility of someone getting ahold of your stamp and doing some sort of identity theft.

Agree my friend eventually managed to open a bank account by using a thumb print, (ATM card not allowed) he also carried his own Ink Pad.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally, I think just scribble whatever you are able to scribble. That's your signature at that time.

My friend managed to change his bank signature to just initials, but then sadly he could not even do that any more. MND lost all use of all muscles his lungs were the last to stop working. 

RIP Jeff.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

While I do not have the medical condition the poster states, I have come up with a challenge this year in applying for an Extension of Stay based on Marriage to a Thai national. As most are aware, there is quite a hefty number of pages and each needs to be signed, in blue ink. I found my hand not responding well after the first dozen pages. It is a wonder to me that my signature would stand up under any court proceeding … same thought has occurred when asked to sign using only my finger to make a signature. Under court questioning, I can imagine it going something like, “Professor West, is this your signature?! And my reply, under oath … “maybe”, who can tell.

It seems to me that most of the time people only want to see a signature, and they don't compare it to anything.

Years ago, I did something in the bank, I think I applied for a credit card, and I had to sign maybe 10 documents. They were not happy with my signatures because they were not the same all the time. I tried, and tried again, and again.

At the end I signed about 20 blank pages, and they looked for the best matches of maybe 10 pages. And then they copied the documents to the pages which I signed already. That "worked". And yes, I destroyed the rest of the signed pages. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I have used the rubber stamp signature route on many occasions in many countries, and most of the time it worked fine.

There are even really small signature rubber stamps, and some even look like a regular pen!

I would get one and try, they are not expensive.  I will try and research where to get them in Thailand for you.

image.png.27bd0997107e031c134fde757984b597.png

Edited by CanadaSam
Added picture.
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems to me that most of the time people only want to see a signature, and they don't compare it to anything.

Doesn't ones signature show up under black light in your bankbook... I have had them check this against the withdrawal form.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Doesn't ones signature show up under black light in your bankbook... I have had them check this against the withdrawal form.

In banks I agree with you.

But if I have to pay with credit card and I have to sign, then often nobody compares that signature. 

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In banks I agree with you.

But if I have to pay with credit card and I have to sign, then often nobody compares that signature. 

A couple of events along that line of thought. Used my CC to pay for something on-line recently, noticed my signature had pretty much rubbed off completely. Also stuck behind a pretty woman at Big-CX checkout as she tried to use a CC to pay, and could not. She didn't have cash, so a bit frustrating. She was on the phone and talking in English and I got the impression a boyfriend had sent her out shopping using his CC. She got it to work! (I think he had it locked out on the App!).

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, in the bankbook, they "verify" signatures under a blacklight, one time they rejected mine because I use my middle initial instead of signing my full middle name, 555.