So I wanna buy a donkey and a buffalo..

Semi serious about this.

Got a 30 yr lease on 10 rai of land in the sticks near my house in Surin and I've always wanted a donkey, and I also kinda like water buffalos. Not married.

So the question is, can an evil Falangi legally own 

A. a donkey

B. a water buffalo

Is there something like a "title" or ownership paper for such animals?

Obviously I'm not running a farm business, so these animals are just to be owned for companionship (555, setting myself up for the donkey jokes).😃

you sound like a one of those rich spoilt Arab kids who want's daddy to buy him a lion or a cheetah....

you don't just buy a donkey or a buffalo,  you are suppose to know how to look after them, do you know anything about rasping donkeys teeth, do you know anything about cutting back donkey hooves and shoeing, do you know anything about buffalo tick vacination and liver fluke drench..  do you know how to treat buffalo scour ...  or bloat .   ??     sadly I doubt it   !!

give up that idea immediately,    go get a dog.  

Edited by steven100

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you sound like a one of those rich spoilt Arab kids who want's daddy to buy him a lion or a cheetah....

Salami aleikum, habibi! Not a bad idea! Those foreigners who had the lion cub in Pattaya and went cruising with it in the Bentley was pretty epic 😄

you don't just buy a donkey or a buffalo,  you are suppose to know how to look after them, do you know anything about rasping donkeys teeth, do you know anything about cutting back donkey hooves and shoeing, do you know anything about buffalo tick vacination and liver fluke drench..  ??     sadly I doubt it   !!

*yawn*......That's what YouTube is for! 

give up that idea immediately,    go get a dog.  

Can't. My grandfather was Korean. Everytime I see a puppy I get all sad because it reminds me of when he cooked up Scooby stew for me as a kid. 😔

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Haha 2

Buffalo's are plentiful in Pattaya, renting is most likely the best route.

Less hassle long term

A Donkey may be a bit harder to find, though they are out there.

Seek and you shall find  :wai:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Salami aleikum, habibi! Not a bad idea! Those foreigners who had the lion cub in Pattaya and went cruising with it in the Bentley was pretty epic 😄

How you going to fit the donkey and buffallo into your Bentley?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Semi serious about this.

Got a 30 yr lease on 10 rai of land in the sticks near my house in Surin and I've always wanted a donkey, and I also kinda like water buffalos. Not married.

So the question is, can an evil Falangi legally own 

A. a donkey

B. a water buffalo

Is there something like a "title" or ownership paper for such animals?

Obviously I'm not running a farm business, so these animals are just to be owned for companionship (555, setting myself up for the donkey jokes).😃

Someone been watching Gogglebox?

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Buffalo's are about 50k baht, get a dog!

You can get a young buffalo for less than 20 000 baht.

Next question what are you going to do with 10 rie, you would only need 2  rie for your kwie and donkey.

No law about  farang owning stock, unless some on here is going to say   you will need a work permit as this could be classed as work ,I look at it this way they are many members on here that have cattle pigs etc. without any problem us included.  

As others have said - no problem with buying buffalo. Surely some local issan farmers will be happy to sell you one/some - but be prepared to pay farang price.  Should be from about 12k up , depending on age/sex/pregnancy etc.

As far as the donkey goes... Why? they are obstinate , useless creatures - definitely not 'pet material'. (more like pet food)  

The only suggestion I would have is to make sure you have some sort of yards or handling area , in case the beasts need medication or treatment at some time.   Bloody Hobby Farmers!!  they use to be the bane of my life! 

Generally it was a young greenie couple with 1 cow. They would call me because she was sick. I would arrive at the property - to be told 'Clover is over there. She is really quiet'.  When someone new comes up to her - unless she was on deaths door - the poor vet (me), would spend the next 20 minutes trying to catch the patient! 

One of my rules of veterinary practice was 'if you can't catch the patient , it doesn't need treatment!' 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...