Thais entering Thailand on an expired passport

I read an old article that suggested this is possible. Our son has a British and Thai passport and I wondered if he could leave the UK on his British passport and enter Thailand on his UK passport based on the post.

Yea, I know he can enter on his UK passport but then he would have to jump through all the hoops us foreigners have to.

Secondly, if possible, is there a time limit on the expires passport, e.g. within 6 months @ubonjoe

Thanks in advance Screenshot_2024-03-04-06-53-20-911_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.4731d5d1e53d6b0669188f900e0c3f6e.jpg

i think you mean enter Thailand on Thai passport, should be ok to do this, if not enter on UK passport and get a 1 year extension as a Thai citizen

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No problem entering Thailand on a Thai passport BUT its possible he/you may be asked how you were allowed to board the plane ? obviously he has the UK passport, but it may lead down the same rabbit hole of questions etc.

Technically nothing wrong in what you suggest.(AFAIK)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

No problem entering Thailand on a Thai passport BUT its possible he/you may be asked how you were allowed to board the plane ? obviously he has the UK passport, but it may lead down the same rabbit hole of questions etc.

Technically nothing wrong in what you suggest.(AFAIK)

Many thanks, I love rabbit holes and conspiracy theories....

If he enters on the Thai passport, he'll have to leave on a new valid one. Make sure you'll be able to renew his PP in Thailand and have all the documents with you to do so. Otherwise he'll be stuck here. That will mean being registered on the Tabien Baan, and ideally, having an ID card if aged over 7. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, stament said:

I read an old article that suggested this is possible. Our son has a British and Thai passport and I wondered if he could leave the UK on his British passport and enter Thailand on his UK passport based on the post.

Yea, I know he can enter on his UK passport but then he would have to jump through all the hoops us foreigners have to.

Secondly, if possible, is there a time limit on the expires passport, e.g. within 6 months @ubonjoe

Thanks in advance 

Of course he could enter Thailand on his British passport, as far as it has 6 month's validity left on it.

• Haha 1

He can leave the UK on his UK PP, and enter Thailand on his expired one + ID card.

In fact I have heard he could just enter on his ID card. He is a Thai Citizen, they can not refuse him entry.

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Not unless he's entered on it.

Yes the OP has not mentioned that, Yet.

Although I entered the UK with my UK PP and left on an OZ one to Thailand, but that was still valid.

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why surely he could leave on a valid UK passport.  

nope. Thailand want to see the entry and exit stamp in the same passport. He won't be able to leave. Catches out many UK and US folk given they don't have a formal exit imigration. Thailand does. 

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes the OP has not mentioned that, Yet.

Although I entered the UK with my UK PP and left on an OZ one to Thailand, but that was still valid.

Do you mean you showed the airline's check on staff your Oz passport or did you show it to the immigration officer and got the exit stamp on the Oz passport?

This is where a bit of common sense should kick in. 

The boy is Thai, hence the Thai passport, expired or not. 

As he is Thai, no immigration officer can not legally NOT allow him into his own country.

• Thanks 1