Border Run Nakhon Phanom 2024

Does anyone know if a "border run" at the Freedom Bridge is possible in Nakhon Phanom... Pre-Covid I would take the bus across the bridge, get a Laos visa and turn around and head back to Thailand to get a new 30 day Thai visa... It took maybe 30 minutes to do... Is this still possible now that covid restrictions are over... TIA

My daughter and her boyfriend (and me but I didn't need extending) did this almost exactly a year ago - over the bridge (about 5-10 km north of Nakhon Phanom) paid a couple of thousand baht (or probably a couple of million kip), meal drive round then drive back over the bridge. No queues, no fuss

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reply... I was just in Nakhon Phanom getting my 60 day extension. We have dealt with the same person in the office for a couple years and she volunteered if I need to stay longer just go to the Freedom Bridge crossing... I only need an additional month cuz I go back to work for 7 months out of the country so it makes it easy

• 2 months later...

Just used this border last week. I was asked on the way out of Thailand I I was coming straight back so I figure this is somewhat common (and accepted). I was doing a motorbike trip in Laos for a few days though and don't fit the profile of a visa runner. No issues with Thai immigration on either end (though I did have to fill out an arrival card on the way back). 

Assuming you're on the Nakhon Phanom-Thakhek International Bus (to Thakhek), head straight to the passport control counter to get stamped out. Wait for those doing border passes to sort that and eventually get back on the bus. Lao Visa on Arrival is US$40 (about 1500 baht). If you pay in baht, they'll charge 1800. Lao Immigration did accept my photo but not sure if one is actually needed. USD (and potentially THB) bills need to be flawless otherwise they won't be accepted. 

There's mostly truck traffic so I'm not sure how practical/possible turning straight around and heading back would work. Between the tuk-tuk hassles getting into town and the fact there's very little to do in Thakhek, I'd just ride the bus into Thakhek station and head back on the same bus you came over on. There are official looking signs saying 2x 10000 LAK service/stamp fees for foreigners on the way back to Thailand but those weren't asked for when I left Laos. 

Bus times: 9:00 am (Nakhon Phanom dep) 9:30 am (Thakhek dep) 11:30 (both), 2:30 pm (both) and 16:30 (both). Fee is 70-75 baht each way (depending on weekends/holidays/overtime). I paid 52,000 kip leaving Thakhek which was a bit more than 75 baht so pay in THB if possible. 

• Thanks 1