Visa exempt to Non-O, "in Chiang Mai"

34 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

So wrong ! Also, you can not assume that the op is talking about retirement, maybe he means marriage

To actually answer your question OP, for retirement, no seasoning required, but the funds must be shown to have come from abroad.

For marriage, no seasoning required and the funds do not have to be shown to have come from abroad.

Thanks. It would be based on "retirement".

OP, you have correct answer from @bigt3116 

If your plan is to subsequently obtain a 12 month extension....this attached thread outlines the steps. In that thread BritTim suggests option of obtaining non O in your own country. Doing it in Thailand is also a good plan. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you have correct answer from @bigt3116 

If your plan is to subsequently obtain a 12 month extension....this attached thread outlines the steps. In that thread BritTim suggests option of obtaining non O in your own country. Doing it in Thailand is also a good plan. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/

After I were to have the 90 day Non-O in my passport would it be possible to get a  re-entry permit,

leave Thailand by air for 14-16 days then re-enter and apply for the 12 month extension at the appropriate time?

42 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Funds must be in your bank on the day you apply.

Thank you. Chiang Mai immigration is known to make up their own rules in certain areas of interpretation, example TM30.

29 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

After I were to have the 90 day Non-O in my passport would it be possible to get a  re-entry permit,

leave Thailand by air for 14-16 days then re-enter and apply for the 12 month extension at the appropriate time?

Yes

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Thank you. Chiang Mai immigration is known to make up their own rules in certain areas of interpretation, example TM30.

Folk should always check with their immigration office.

As stated earlier for the  Non O obtained in Thailand, the funds only need to be in bank on day of application

Sadly there is always an office or 2 playing games. 

Jomtien was requiring 2 months seasoning of funds for the Non O application from visa exempt entry.

Which is nonsense.  

You might find this thread helpful.

It has some useful links posted by @Red Phoenix 

Also note CM requires 21 days remaining on permission of stay to apply for the Non O.

If time becomes an issue you can obtain 30 day extension to visa exempt 30 day stamp 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1297092-non-o-visa-retirement-purpose/

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Do the required funds in my Thai bank account have to be seasoned 2-3 months or not at all

and do the monies have to be proven to be from abroad?

In general when applying for non-O in Thailand after visa exempt entry, your funds needs to come from abroad, and they do not need to be seasoned.

Maturing of two month is needed when you apply for extension of stay (based on retirement).

A personal recommendation: As soon as you get you non-O, then move the 800k to a separate bank account – i.e. another bank account than used for transfers and daily transaction – so it clear that they have been seasoned and not under the limit. If you can afford it, make it it a 12-month fixed account and just leave the funds there for best interest, which you can withdraw once a year so you keep 800k baht clean in the account. That will make you sleep well – the funds are there – and not worrying about baht exchange rates and topping up from 400k to 800k in time.

Is the funds needing to come from abroad just a CM thing? 

AFAIR, when I did my O retirement at CW many years ago, I entered on visa exempt, but my funds were already in Thailand since I worked for a long time in Thailand, saved some money locally, and then retired.

Many foreigners who work for a long time in Thailand, and then retire, could be in a position where they don't really have any funds saved abroad. So I was surprised when I read in this thread that the funds need to come from abroad for a O retirement visa. 

35 minutes ago, TylerBKK said:

AFAIR, when I did my O retirement at CW many years ago, I entered on visa exempt, but my funds were already in Thailand since I worked for a long time in Thailand, saved some money locally, and then retired.

Many foreigners who work for a long time in Thailand, and then retire, could be in a position where they don't really have any funds saved abroad. So I was surprised when I read in this thread that the funds need to come from abroad for a O retirement visa. 

If funds have been in Thailand "for some" then proof came from abroad (non o retirement) then proof from abroad not requured.

The "some time" could be several months. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 4:34 PM, TylerBKK said:

The funds must be shown to have come from abroad. I explained to the officer at CW that I had worked here for 9 years and saved up that money. The officer explained "That is good. Send it to the US, then send it back to Thailand." No alternative was even suggested (other than the envelope option, which I declined).

Edited by timendres
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, timendres said:

The funds must be shown to have come from abroad. I explained to the officer at CW that I had worked here for 9 years and saved up that money. The officer explained "That is good. Send it to the US, then send it back to Thailand." No alternative was even suggested (other than the envelope option, which I declined).

Makes even less sense than those who wish to sell their condo then buy another using the funds. Since you worked 9 years one should have proof of wage slips and tax returns 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:55 PM, khunPer said:

In general when applying for non-O in Thailand after visa exempt entry, your funds needs to come from abroad, and they do not need to be seasoned.

Maturing of two month is needed when you apply for extension of stay (based on retirement).

A personal recommendation: As soon as you get you non-O, then move the 800k to a separate bank account – i.e. another bank account than used for transfers and daily transaction – so it clear that they have been seasoned and not under the limit. If you can afford it, make it it a 12-month fixed account and just leave the funds there for best interest, which you can withdraw once a year so you keep 800k baht clean in the account. That will make you sleep well – the funds are there – and not worrying about baht exchange rates and topping up from 400k to 800k in time.

Maturing of two month is needed when you apply for extension of stay for either retirement or marriage

5 hours ago, timendres said:

When your Bank Pass-book shows that you continually kept the required funds (800K for retirement / 400K for marriage application) for a 'long time' (couple of months) on your personal Thai Bank-account, there would be no need to prove 'foreign origins' of those long-time seasoned funds.  

However, if the funds on your bank-account were below those 800K or 400K tressholds in the months preceding your application, it is indeed possible that a zealous Imm Officer would not accept this and require a 'transfer from abroad'. 

8 hours ago, jeffandgop said:
On 3/8/2024 at 8:55 AM, khunPer said:

Expand  

Maturing of two month is needed when you apply for extension of stay for either retirement or marriage

And that is exactly what I'm saying about extension of stay; but maturing is not need when applying for the non-O visa inside Thailand, which is the first paragraph in your quote. OP's question is about "retirement", which is what I'm specific replying to.

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

When your Bank Pass-book shows that you continually kept the required funds (800K for retirement / 400K for marriage application) for a 'long time' (couple of months) on your personal Thai Bank-account, there would be no need to prove 'foreign origins' of those long-time seasoned funds.  

However, if the funds on your bank-account were below those 800K or 400K tressholds in the months preceding your application, it is indeed possible that a zealous Imm Officer would not accept this and require a 'transfer from abroad'. 

Not sure about "long term funds" overriding the requirement. That may be possible.

But in my case, I kept the cash in a safe to avoid having to file a FACTA.

The transfer out and back cost me about $230 (spreads and fees). Not terrible.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, timendres said:

Not sure about "long term funds" overriding the requirement. That may be possible.

But in my case, I kept the cash in a safe to avoid having to file a FACTA.

The transfer out and back cost me about $230 (spreads and fees). Not terrible.

That explains the Imm Officers denial of your initial application, as you would have no evidence of funds being 'long time' seasoned on a personal Thai bank-account.

• 2 weeks later...