Non-O visa (Retirement purpose)

Hello.

I will enter Thailand on 28th August, and I will normally get 30 days (Visa exemption).

I would like to get Non-O visa (90 days), so I will go to Immigration Office for application.

I already have bank account in Thailand (Krungsri bank with the required 800,000 baht).

I am a bit confused with the requirement (attached email) related to the bank account :

5.1 Present passbook and deposit certificate from banks in Thailand (in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner))
5.2 Copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000 (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name)
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand

**(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in
the Applicant’s name.)

I wonder if it will be possible for me to get all these documents from the bank on the same day as my application at Immigration ?

Has anyone had any experience of getting Non-O retirement visa with this requirement ?

Thank you ????

9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

If the money has already been in the bank for several months, almost all immigration offices will waive the requirement of proof that the money originated abroad. That requirement was to prevent people using the dodge of a 24-hour loan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zenplay said:

5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand

**(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in
the Applicant’s name.)

My transfer into Thailand of the 800K was done at least 4 months before applying for the Non-O retirement. No mention from I/O at CW about date on document.

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

Krungsri bank is pretty good at providing one all the required documents in one day

I second that, last time in January my Krungsri bank took 20min and them paying 0.9% on Mee Tai account up to 2mil, is quite satisfactory for me.

On a side note yesterday I closed my SCB "Easy net" account as I have NEVER been able to access their site since i opened it. I even took my laptop with me, they re-issued the password and username, and even with a member of staff helping me, (out of 9 staff members not one could speak English) they couldn't do it 2.5 hours! later i walked out with my cash went next door to Krungsri and deposited it with them. :coffee1:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

A non-English post has been removed.

Standards of Conduct

3. English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translations of technical terms are permitted in specialty forums. While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner that allows others to understand their posts. As an international forum we have members from many countries in the world, and English is not the first language of every poster.

YES, you will be able to get hold of the required Bank-documents on the same day that you apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement).

It's just a matter of FIRST going to your bank before heading to your local Imm Office.

At your bank you would

#1 - First have to make a small deposit or withdrawal - as some Immigration Offices want to see the Balance on your personal Thai bank-account (+800K) at the moment of application

#2 - Then have your Passbook updated - and request the Bank staff to make copies of all the pages in your Pass-book

#3 - Then ask the Bank staff to provide you with a statement that you are the owner of the Bank-account, and the balance that it shows

#4 - Then ask the Bank staff for a Bank Transactions statement over the past period.  The information on that statement will be same as on your Passbook but some Imm Offices do require such Bank Transactions statement,

#5 - The evidence that the funds originated from abroad will not be applicable for you when the funds have been long seasoned already on your bank-account.  

And in case the period is only a couple of months that you transferred the funds from abroad to your personal Thai bank-account, the CODES on the Bank Transactions statement and/or in your Passbook will indicate that the funds originated from abroad.

> Success!

Note: At the Chonburi (Jomtien and SriRacha) Imm Offices, they want to see that your 800K has already been seasoned for at least 2 months, which in your case will not be any problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

YES, you will be able to get hold of the required Bank-documents on the same day that you apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement).

It's just a matter of FIRST going to your bank before heading to your local Imm Office.

At your bank you would

#1 - First have to make a small deposit or withdrawal - as some Immigration Offices want to see the Balance on your personal Thai bank-account (+800K) at the moment of application

#2 - Then have your Passbook updated - and request the Bank staff to make copies of all the pages in your Pass-book

#3 - Then ask the Bank staff to provide you with a statement that you are the owner of the Bank-account, and the balance that it shows

#4 - Then ask the Bank staff for a Bank Transactions statement over the past period.  The information on that statement will be same as on your Passbook but some Imm Offices do require such Bank Transactions statement,

#5 - The evidence that the funds originated from abroad will not be applicable for you when the funds have been long seasoned already on your bank-account.  

And in case the period is only a couple of months that you transferred the funds from abroad to your personal Thai bank-account, the CODES on the Bank Transactions statement and/or in your Passbook will indicate that the funds originated from abroad.

> Success!

Note: At the Chonburi (Jomtien and SriRacha) Imm Offices, they want to see that your 800K has already been seasoned for at least 2 months, which in your case will not be any problem. 

Thank you for your informations ! ????????

Will I get the 90 days visa on the same day of application, or will I have to wait for some days to get it ?

4 minutes ago, zenplay said:

Will I get the 90 days visa on the same day of application, or will I have to wait for some days to get it ?

For non O retirement issued on the spot. 

15 minutes ago, zenplay said:

When you apply for the 90-days Non Imm O Visa (retirement) and your application is accepted by your local Imm Office, it still needs Divisional HQ approval.  That's a pure bureaucratic process and it is extremely rare that an application sent for approval to Div HQ is not approved (sometimes but also very rare they might require some additional documents and then local Imm will contact you to provide these). 

So when your local Imm Office accepts your application and sends it for approval to Div HQ you can be as good as certain that it will be approved.  However, you will not get the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement) stamp yet, as there will be an 'under consideration' period, which normally takes approx 2 weeks (and that's the reason you need to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa when you have still at least 15 days left on your Permit to stay). 

Normally your local Imm Office will provide you with a temporary stamp and staple a document in your Passport with the date that you should present yourself there to get the approved 90-day Permit to stay stamp in your passport. 

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@zenplay > At which Immigration office would you apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement)?  

As you might know the requirements will differ depending on the Imm Office where you are going to apply.  

Be aware that there are some Imm Offices that outright refuse to handle your 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement), even when you meet all the official regulations. 

And some Imm Offices require more than 15 days left on the Permit to stay from your VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry  (e.g. Chiang-Mai requires 21 days and Phuket requires 15 working days). 

Also the rogue Chonburi offices (Jomtien and SriRacha) impose some additional requirements and want the +800K seasoned already for 2 months when applying for your 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement).  And these offices also KEEP your Passport during the under consideration period, which is extremely inconvenient.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Also the rogue Chonburi offices (Jomtien and SriRacha) impose some additional requirements and want the +800K seasoned already for 2 months when applying for your 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement). 

I second this comment. A friend of mine recently applied for a Non-O at the Jomtien Office and was presented with a list of requirements as long as his arm. He sought the help of an agent... 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

@zenplay > At which Immigration office would you apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement)?  

As you might know the requirements will differ depending on the Imm Office where you are going to apply.  

Be aware that there are some Imm Offices that outright refuse to handle your 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement), even when you meet all the official regulations. 

And some Imm Offices require more than 15 days left on the Permit to stay from your VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry  (e.g. Chiang-Mai requires 21 days and Phuket requires 15 working days). 

Also the rogue Chonburi offices (Jomtien and SriRacha) impose some additional requirements and want the +800K seasoned already for 2 months when applying for your 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement).  And these offices also KEEP your Passport during the under consideration period, which is extremely inconvenient.  

I will apply at Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok).

6 minutes ago, zenplay said:

I will apply at Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok).

No problem then, as there will be no surprises when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement) at CW when you meet the requirements.

Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement application requirements.pdf TM-87 - Application for Visa from Visa Exempt.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goethe said:

I second this comment. A friend of mine recently applied for a Non-O at the Jomtien Office and was presented with a list of requirements as long as his arm. He sought the help of an agent... 

which is what they want you to do. 

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

No problem then, as there will be no surprises when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement) at CW when you meet the requirements.

Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement application requirements.pdf 136.82 kB · 0 downloads TM-87 - Application for Visa from Visa Exempt.pdf 73.39 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for your very helpful information !

One more question : I guess the process and requirements will be quite the same when applying for the 12 months extension. Am I right ?

43 minutes ago, zenplay said:

Thank you for your very helpful information !

One more question : I guess the process and requirements will be quite the same when applying for the 12 months extension. Am I right ?

Yes indeed, you are correct.  It are basically the same documents you need to provide for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O (retirement) based Permit to stay. 

The main differences are:

• You would need to provide evidence that you kept the +800K funds on your personal Thai bank-account for at least 2 months (some offices require 3 months, but at CW it is 2 months) prior to the date of application for your 1-year extension.  So basically you should keep the Funds over +800K between the period of Visa application and 1-year extension application.  You should also keep the funds at +800K for the first 3 months after your 1-year extension is approved, after that you are allowed to lower the funds to +400K and top up again to +800K 2 months prior to your next 1-year extension of stay application;
  • There will be no 'under consideration' period when applying for the 1-year extension (retirement). And the stamp will either be provided on the spot (like at CW) or at some Imm offices you need to leave your passport and pick it up with stamp next day;
  • From the moment you receive your 1-year extension of stay, you are required to do 90-day reports, and normally your Imm Office will staple a paper with the due date for that 1 first 90-day report in your passport.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes indeed, you are correct.  It are basically the same documents you need to provide for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O (retirement) based Permit to stay. 

The main differences are:

• You would need to provide evidence that you kept the +800K funds on your personal for at least 2 months (some offices require 3 months, but at CW it is 2 months) prior to the date of application for your 1-year extension.  So basically you should keep the Funds over +800K between the period of Visa application and 1-year extension application.  You should also keep the funds at +800K for the first 3 months after your 1-year extension is approved, after that you are allowed to lower the funds to +400K and top up again to +800K 2 months prior to your next 1-year extension of stay application;
  • There will be no 'under consideration' period when applying for the 1-year extension (retirement). And the stamp will either be provided on the spot (like at CW) or at some Imm offices you need to leave your passport and pick it up with stamp next day;
  • From the moment you receive your 1-year extension of stay, you are required to do 90-day reports, and normally your Imm Office will staple a paper with the due date for that 1 first 90-day report in your passport.

Again, thanks a lot for your help ????

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2023 at 11:48 AM, Red Phoenix said:

At your bank you would

Hi! How can I do it if I have 1-2-3 years fixed deposit in a bank?  Does the Chonburi (Jomtien) office accept fixed deposits?

2 minutes ago, Findthai said:

They don't require to update the passbook with a transaction (withdraw or deposit) before submitting docs? Because it is not possible with a fixed deposit.

I also use a FD. 

The minimum deposit for my bank Kasikorn it 1000b.

I make deposit on day on my extension at CW.

Note: there have been many posts that this is not required for FD account for extension at CW.

• Thumbs Up 1

BKK Fixed deposit account and CM IO. No requirement to make any payment on extension renewal to the account just update the passbook and get the signed/stamped letter no later than day before renewal! No statement required.

I usually go in to the BKK office the day after the FD matures (not connected to Extension date) to see/make sure they have rolled me over their best FD rate!

One year they had not but immediately corrected it in my favour when I challenged their new rate!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:44 PM, Red Phoenix said:

Be aware that there are some Imm Offices that outright refuse to handle your 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement), even when you meet all the official regulations

I didn't know that there were offices  that actually refused outright, even if using an agent? Is it just the initial application or is it the extension too? Do they do 90 day reports? How on earth do they justify and get away with that, I know they're a law unto themselves but this really is taking the pi$$ , it's almost laughable.  I must have missed any threads about it  its a new one on me.

What do they actually do all day ? ,  I can't understand why they would  deny themselves the income from fees  and the opportunity for "extras", I thought that was the whole point of them being there  I find this really bizarre

location could have something to something to do with it? maybe if there are several in close proximity, only one or two of them are actually authorised to process such applications, although having said that there are two here in Surin, not much more than 50km apart, and they both do  them.

Out of curiosity,where are these places located ?  

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

I didn't know that there were offices  that actually refused outright, even if using an agent? Is it just the initial application or is it the extension too? Do they do 90 day reports? How on earth do they justify and get away with that, I know they're a law unto themselves but this really is taking the pi$$ , it's almost laughable.  I must have missed any threads about it  its a new one on me.

What do they actually do all day ? ,  I can't understand why they would  deny themselves the income from fees  and the opportunity for "extras", I thought that was the whole point of them being there  I find this really bizarre

location could have something to something to do with it? maybe if there are several in close proximity, only one or two of them are actually authorised to process such applications, although having said that there are two here in Surin, not much more than 50km apart, and they both do  them.

All offices will process retirement extensions. There is a handful of offices that will often refuse to accept "conversion" applications for Non O  visas on the basis of retirement from people who have entered visa exempt or with a tourist visa. They will tell you to get the Non O visa at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand. There are some indications that they do this when the person applying for the visa is living a long distance from the immigration office, as it then become onerous for the officials to carry out house visits.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

The response of @BritTim - see post above this one - is fully correct. 

There are indeed a couple of rogue Imm Offices that refuse to do the 'change of Visa' process (i.e. handling your application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa when being on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa permit to stay, even when you meet all the requirements).  They tell you to apply for the Non Imm O Visa in an Embassy/Consulate of a neighbouring country, which is of course very inconvenient for the applicant.  

One of those rogue offices is the ChiangRai Imm Office.  And the wry thing about it is that the ChiangRai Imm Office website actually mentions the Change of Visa process as one of the Immigration services (and which they refuse to do). 

Also, the homepage of their website < https://chiangrai.immigration.go.th/en/frontpage-english/ > displays the Core Values of that Office, and their commitment to professionalism, service-mindedness, efficiency and customer satisfaction!  555!

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Findthai said:
On 6/7/2023 at 6:48 AM, Red Phoenix said:

At your bank you would

Hi! How can I do it if I have 1-2-3 years fixed deposit in a bank?  Does the Chonburi (Jomtien) office accept fixed deposits?

Some Imm Offices want to see the balance on your personal Thai bank-account (+800K) at the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay. And at some Imm Offices such update should be done same day as application, other Imm Offices are more lenient and allow the update to be done day before or even up to 1 week before. 

To provide that evidence > At some banks (e.g. Bangkok Bank) you can simply update your pass-book without making any deposit or withdrawal.  At other banks (e.g. Kasikorn Bank) a small deposit or withdrawal needs to be made when you need an updated balance of your pass-book. 

And to answer your question > Such a small withdrawal/deposit is possible both for a regular Savings Account as well as for a Fixed Deposit account.

Note: Some Imm Offices do require on top of the updated bank pass-book also a "Bank Transfer Statement" of all the transactions done on your account during the preceding 12 months.  Unless you did not update your pass-book regularly and the Bank consolidated some of the transactions you made, the info on that Bank Transfer Statement is the same as in our pass-book.  At some banks (e.g. Kasikorn Bank) they can provide you with that Bank Transfer Statement on the spot, but other banks (e.g. some Bangkok Bank branches) only keep the data of your transactions for 6 months.  So in case your Imm Office requires a 12-month Bank Transactions Statement you then need to order that Statement at your Bangkok Bank branche and it can take up to 5 working days before it is available.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

office, as it then become onerous for the officials to carry out house visits.

Thanks to you and Red Phoenix for your replains , Anyway  that explains it, I knew they would have a perfectly valid and legitimate reason, lol 

As I mentioned in Surin there are two offices abt 50 km apart A friend of mine who lives pretty much I/2 way between them was converting a visa exempt to retirement last October.  The first office he tried was Kap choeng , they wanted  5000bt so he suddenly remembered he had "forgotten" some documents, and the next day tried his luck at Surin,  lol they wanted 10,000, so he gave them the same "forgotten documents" excuse. The next day it was back to Kap choeng with 5000bt and the deal was done.

Not a major end of the world problem, as he lives locally to both offices, but it would be a real pain in the ar$e for people living on the far side of the province

• Like 1