Hair Loss Due To Dengue Fever

My wife got Dengue Fever in Luang Prubang (be cautious these days about poor places who may be skimping on mosquito abatement). A few months after she recovered, her hair problems popped up out of nowhere.

About a third of her hair has broken off. It has gotten very brittle to the point where she dare not even brush it.

At her hair salon, her stylist said that this is a common side effect of Dengue and may last for 2 years! Some people lose 70% of their hair. Youtube further advises not stress hair by putting it in a pony tail, or using a hair dryer. 

She has been using Aveda hair bond-building products and found them helpful (and expensive: 1700 baht for a small bottle of serum). Old fashioned castor oil also helps.

Anyone here have experience with Dengue Hair loss?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

My wife got Dengue Fever in Luang Prubang (be cautious these days about poor places who may be skimping on mosquito abatement). A few months after she recovered, her hair problems popped up out of nowhere.

About a third of her hair has broken off. It has gotten very brittle to the point where she dare not even brush it.

At her hair salon, her stylist said that this is a common side effect of Dengue and may last for 2 years! Some people lose 70% of their hair. Youtube further advises not stress hair by putting it in a pony tail, or using a hair dryer. 

She has been using Aveda hair bond-building products and found them helpful (and expensive: 1700 baht for a small bottle of serum). Old fashioned castor oil also helps.

Anyone here have experience with Dengue Hair loss?

Luang Prabang not so cool then. Laos seems very dirty to me. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Usually resolves on 3-6 months but in rare cases vecomes chtonic

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24486-telogen-effluvium

Thanks, as always, Sheryl. At 3 months, she's still losing hair. She just started taking biotin supplements.

To contribute to this valuable forum, I'll pop back in up the road and update her progress and what she tried.

Edited by Prubangboy