weed killer

Friend of mine asked me about round up or similar weed killer that would hill some weeds but not hurt his grass. I did some researching it, with no success so far, so I thought I would ask here, 

Anything that kills weeds will also kill grass (Roundup does, too) and also be generally toxic. And the first rain will wash it into flowerbeds, and even ground water supply and elsewhere. Do not use.

If the weeds are on lawn just accept them and cut along with the grass. If they are in flower beds etc manually remove them. Only safe way.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Friend of mine asked me about round up or similar weed killer that would hill some weeds but not hurt his grass. I did some researching it, with no success so far, so I thought I would ask here, 

If you what a weed killer that will kill weeds and not grass look at MCPA or MCPB .

If I remember, available on Lazada. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Anything that kills weeds will also kill grass (Roundup does, too) and also be generally toxic. And the first rain will wash it into flowerbeds, and even ground water supply and elsewhere. Do not use.

If the weeds are on lawn just accept them and cut along with the grass. If they are in flower beds etc manually remove them. Only safe way.

I should not had said Round Up  , but there are weed killers that would kill broadleaf plans and weeds without killing the grass, I remember using it in the US to control  dandelion weeds 

I just googled it and 

"Tenacity herbicide is an industry favorite for killing weeds in your lawn without killing your grass "

https://golfcourselawn.store/blogs/diy-lawn-care/best-products-for-killing-weeds-without-killing-grass#:~:text=Tenacity herbicide is an industry,broadleaf weed and grass species.

anyway is there such a thing here in Thailand? 

26 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Weak sprays don't work well. Just use Roundup. It kills grass too but grass grows back.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, kickstart said:

If you what a weed killer that will kill weeds and not grass look at MCPA or MCPB .

If I remember, available on Lazada. 

Thank you, Found it on Shoppe,

image.png.a476092570df6c019b07e3d2e3beb8a9.png

• Thumbs Up 1

At home in the US I’ve used broadleaf weed killers in spray and mixed with fertilizers as weed and feed. The active ingredient is 2.4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. It prevents weeds like clover and dandelions from growing without killing the grasses. Spraying roundup (glyphosate) on weeds in and amongst flowers works fine. Don’t spray so much that it runs off and leaves puddles. Wet the leaves or blades of unwanted grasses in mid day sun. It will evaporate leaving a residue that impedes cell growth and they die. Nearby tulips and daffodils are fine after this. Could be different here.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

At home in the US I’ve used broadleaf weed killers in spray and mixed with fertilizers as weed and feed. The active ingredient is 2.4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. It prevents weeds like clover and dandelions from growing without killing the grasses. Spraying roundup (glyphosate) on weeds in and amongst flowers works fine. Don’t spray so much that it runs off and leaves puddles. Wet the leaves or blades of unwanted grasses in mid day sun. It will evaporate leaving a residue that impedes cell growth and they die. Nearby tulips and daffodils are fine after this. Could be different here.

Thank you for that lead . I have been learning a lot from this tread.

Yes I remember granules that we would spread with one of those fertiliser broadcasters everyone that has a lawn has. But I will admit I never bothered to check what was in them.  

I found this on shopee , it is described as  (2-4 D. I could not find any further description of the active Agreement but 2-4 D sounds very close to  2.4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

What do you think?

https://shopee.co.th/product/5886616/9435253814?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA0bWvBhBjEiwAtEsoWy2tzG4Hv-OA4cm6HbR2iDpII0K1oXzsCgG1iDj7rr_-v5rMEo6yOhoC5pUQAvD_BwE

image.png.eaeac28b3c346639851ca4837d144f55.png

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that lead . I have been learning a lot from this tread.

Yes I remember granules that we would spread with one of those fertiliser broadcasters everyone that has a lawn has. But I will admit I never bothered to check what was in them.  

I found this on shopee , it is described as  (2-4 D. I could not find any further description of the active Agreement but 2-4 D sounds very close to  2.4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

What do you think?

https://shopee.co.th/product/5886616/9435253814?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA0bWvBhBjEiwAtEsoWy2tzG4Hv-OA4cm6HbR2iDpII0K1oXzsCgG1iDj7rr_-v5rMEo6yOhoC5pUQAvD_BwE

image.png.eaeac28b3c346639851ca4837d144f55.png

That’s the stuff. I’ve seen it referred to as 2 4 D also. It should tell you how big an area that can treat. Don’t over do it or it may kill more than you want. 

These chemicals are all toxic to some degree. Try to avoid breathing in any dust and keep it away from skin. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2024 at 8:31 PM, Sheryl said:

If the weeds are on lawn just accept them and cut along with the grass. If they are in flower beds etc. manually remove them. Only safe way.

I don't have that problem with that as I don't use it if rain is predicted. It doesn't kill anything near where I spray, it takes up to ten days to work, once it had dried on whatever it's sprayed on it doesn't dilute again easily, even if it does rain. I use this one posted by sirin

image.png.a476092570df6c019b07e3d2e3beb8a9.png.63b675cede9f21d44d92a96709ce89f5.png