Health Insurance Urgent

lazerguy

I am an international student in Canada and will be going on exchange to Thailand. Unfortunately I am having a very difficult time finding travel insurance,as I am not Canadian. It doesn't look like I will be able to get it here. I was wondering if anybody could give me links to health insurance companies in Thailand or tell me which ones they recommend. This would be urgent. I am currently looking at bupathailand.com. It doesn't seem that dental is covered. Thanks for any help!

Edited by lazerguy

Get a quote from these guys as well:

http://insurance.thaivisa.com

fyi, I used the goodhealth from the Thaivisa link. I had coverage for two months. They have the worst customer service I have ever had in a long time:

-I wanted to change payment option, as I wanted to pay entire bill at once from my USA credit card, which I know would be declined if I did not call them ahead (ie I don't want a recurring bill every month). They said no. After I told them I want to speak with supervisor (email) they said ok.

-I asked to pay the bill by direct debit (from my USA account) which I was told no. They gave me three days to send it from a Hong Kong account to their account (um, but I live in Thailand?)

Obviously, I am now searching for different insurance. While most of this seems to be my problem, I contacted them often for support of my problem. When I complained, I got their supervisor who told me she would respond by next day. After a week I told them how bad their service was, and she apoligized that she accidentally sent my email to her draft inbox instead of send. As I don't care about her problem, but I do know that giving them 1,500 a year for that service was terrible. Just think what I would have to do if I had a claim?

fyi, I used the goodhealth from the Thaivisa link. I had coverage for two months. They have the worst customer service I have ever had in a long time:

-I wanted to change payment option, as I wanted to pay entire bill at once from my USA credit card, which I know would be declined if I did not call them ahead (ie I don't want a recurring bill every month). They said no. After I told them I want to speak with supervisor (email) they said ok.

-I asked to pay the bill by direct debit (from my USA account) which I was told no. They gave me three days to send it from a Hong Kong account to their account (um, but I live in Thailand?)

Obviously, I am now searching for different insurance. While most of this seems to be my problem, I contacted them often for support of my problem. When I complained, I got their supervisor who told me she would respond by next day. After a week I told them how bad their service was, and she apoligized that she accidentally sent my email to her draft inbox instead of send. As I don't care about her problem, but I do know that giving them 1,500 a year for that service was terrible. Just think what I would have to do if I had a claim?

l

hello

i read your reply regarding health insurance in thailand. sounds like you already expereinced this journey of acquiring the nescessary needs to live there. Iam currently living in Canada, but will eventually be residing in thailand. I will be taking my 2 children with me to live, as well my thai wife. I would greatly appreciate any advice you would be willing to share with me regarding this topic. As i indicated having my children with me , nescessiates the need to have family coverage. Iam fumbling my way through all the extras that come into play as aprt of relocating...again I do appreciate any info you would be willing to share.

Sincerley

Tom

• 1 month later...

"I am currently looking at bupathailand.com. It doesn't seem that dental is covered. Thanks for any help!"

Dude. Dental not covered is no big deal. Here in Thld, I go to a great dentist and get my teeth cleaned every 6 mo's for like $35 US. Had two cavities filled too -one with a really nice resin that took some work to sculpt as it replaced an old cracked filling, cost just about $40 US. You'd pay more than that in insurance for just one or two mo's of coverage. The lawsuits back there drive the costs into the unrealistic stratosphere, and so insurance has to cover its financial a$$, and you end up paying. It' s a much nicer world over here.

I'm insured medically here for like 500,000 B. That's only about 15 k US, but enough to have my liver taken out n put back in over here. You don't need these crazy coverage plans like you do in N. Amer to cover yourself from financial ruin. I suggest go major med n don't stress dental. Same goes for optical btw.

You'll love it here. Real eye openeing.