New Drug For Aids

dee123

I haven't experienced it myself, as my hospital is fairly quiet, with the waiting room and reception more akin to an airport club lounge than a hospital.... but I have overheard on more than a few occasions in public hospitals nurses asking "okay I'll just need your signature on this waiver for your child's transfer, for this or that procedure... including: for us to test your blood for HIV." Not on the hospital PA system or anything, but loud enough for any of dozens of people (kids, parents, grandparents, etc.) waiting to hear. I can understand how some would find that embarrassing.

:o

edit: sometimes the question is phrased as "for your conscent to release the results of your HIV antibodies test to you." Same thing.

I have experienced what you speak of at Bumrungrad - then they went one further and gave the results of my HIV test not to me but to the GF in front of everyone else.

Well my toys came right out of the pram and I demanded to see the Nursing Manager - she apologised said she would "Remind the nurse again to give results to the person tested" (<deleted>) - but then compounded the issue by adding, "Its OK because if you were positive the Dr would have taken you into his office to tell you"

At this point the dummy came out too and I said I was writing to the hospital ethics committee - I did not but should really have done so.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't experienced it myself, as my hospital is fairly quiet, with the waiting room and reception more akin to an airport club lounge than a hospital.... but I have overheard on more than a few occasions in public hospitals nurses asking "okay I'll just need your signature on this waiver for your child's transfer, for this or that procedure... including: for us to test your blood for HIV." Not on the hospital PA system or anything, but loud enough for any of dozens of people (kids, parents, grandparents, etc.) waiting to hear. I can understand how some would find that embarrassing.

edit: sometimes the question is phrased as "for your conscent to release the results of your HIV antibodies test to you." Same thing.

I have experienced what you speak of at Bumrungrad - then they went one further and gave the results of my HIV test not to me but to the GF in front of everyone else.

Well my toys came right out of the pram and I demanded to see the Nursing Manager - she apologised said she would "Remind the nurse again to give results to the person tested" (<deleted>) - but then compounded the issue by adding, "Its OK because if you were positive the Dr would have taken you into his office to tell you"

At this point the dummy came out too and I said I was writing to the hospital ethics committee - I did not but should really have done so.

I know people disagree, but I'm ok with this approach. That way it's not an honor system disclosure afterwards.

I know people disagree, but I'm ok with this approach. That way it's not an honor system disclosure afterwards.

I do not understand your reference to honour system???

These were my private details - they broke medical ethics by giving them to a person other than myself. I could not be arsed in the end but in many other countries they would have had big problems with Ethic's comittee's - the nursing Manager shit herself when I know my way aroungd the system.

As for disclosure - they were for my EP to Singapore so they were disclosed to the trelevant people and the GF would have seen them no matter the result.

The point is its not up to some ignorant uneducated nurse to give them to the Thai as its easier than trying to speak English to the patient - if she can not do that then get out of that hospital - no wonder we do not employ Thai nurses for jobs in research like we do in other countries - we have to raise the bar

These were my private details - they broke medical ethics by giving them to a person other than myself. I could not be arsed in the end but in many other countries they would have had big problems with Ethic's comittee's - the nursing Manager shit herself when I know my way aroungd the system.

As for disclosure - they were for my EP to Singapore so they were disclosed to the trelevant people and the GF would have seen them no matter the result.

The point is its not up to some ignorant uneducated nurse to give them to the Thai as its easier than trying to speak English to the patient - if she can not do that then get out of that hospital - no wonder we do not employ Thai nurses for jobs in research like we do in other countries - we have to raise the bar

Not in reference to your particular situation, but if they only disclosed to the person being tested, it is then up to that person to disclose the results to their girlfriend or boyfriend, or bar girl, etc. That's what I mean by the honor system. Anyone is free to walk out into the waiting room and tell the truth or lie about the results.

I fully understand the ethical issues and I also don't fault you for saying something about it. Some other people have mentioned being in waiting rooms when they've given positive HIV results to someone in front of everyone. My dentist's office told my ex-girlfriend twice when I was in Thailand, which I wasn't so happy about.

I'm just saying I'm ok with it. Thailand seems to have more than it's fair share of couples where one or the other keeps secrets or lies. I don't think they'd relay this information any more accurately than anything else.

Not in reference to your particular situation, but if they only disclosed to the person being tested, it is then up to that person to disclose the results to their girlfriend or boyfriend, or bar girl, etc. That's what I mean by the honor system. Anyone is free to walk out into the waiting room and tell the truth or lie about the results.

I fully understand the ethical issues and I also don't fault you for saying something about it. Some other people have mentioned being in waiting rooms when they've given positive HIV results to someone in front of everyone. My dentist's office told my ex-girlfriend twice when I was in Thailand, which I wasn't so happy about.

I'm just saying I'm ok with it. Thailand seems to have more than it's fair share of couples where one or the other keeps secrets or lies. I don't think they'd relay this information any more accurately than anything else.

I know of two cases where a HIV+ person was told in front of other in thailand including one in front of the whole waiting room quite loudly.

Yes it is an honour system but I can not see it being any other way. Whatever my results I would not have been able to hide them from the GF if I wanted (I would not) as it would have been odd I changed my employment plans so quickly. However I could have sneaked off to the hospital on my own so public disclosure to people there just does not work.

I work in clinical trials and confidentialty plus informed consent is very important - I do not know of any trials taking place a Bumrungrad! - maybe that is not their market and their Dr's gain their reputations at the hospitals that do run clinical trials such as Chula and others

Well I have just wasted my time reading this misleading thread. Wheres the info on this new drug? Dee123 have you got any information of value to add to this thread besides your dellusional thoughts that you are somehow immune to HIV and that HIV/AIDS is not a death sentence.

Firstly, you have obviously never been to an asian hiv clinic or hospital and spoken with real people instead of just spouting somebody elses ill informed statistics.

Secondly, Antivirals do all sorts of horrible things to a persons body and good outcome is only acheived if the person does not react to these meds in a bad way which is often the case. Whatsmore there is no reliable data as to a persons prognosis with antivirals as they have only been in use for twenty odd years and long term effects cannot be known. Anybody who thinks this disease is not to taken seriously and made light of needs to go to a clinic and see real people dying a horribly painful death and get a reality check.

Dee123 have you got any information of value

OMG I rhink even the last person has by now understood that Dee123 is at best a troll and at worst a delusional lunatic.

Ignore the guy or he will never shut up. It's like hitting a dead body with a stick: 'look he moves!' anyway...

No new drugs that can kill the virus have been released, nor is there anything in the clinical trial pipeline. The clinical trials now in progress are still focused on interfering with viral replication. What is new is the emphasis on RNA related strategies. It will take 3-5 years and several hundreds of millions of euros/dollars before those unique proprietary drugs are in phase III clinical trials.

No new drugs that can kill the virus have been released, nor is there anything in the clinical trial pipeline. The clinical trials now in progress are still focused on interfering with viral replication. What is new is the emphasis on RNA related strategies. It will take 3-5 years and several hundreds of millions of euros/dollars before those unique proprietary drugs are in phase III clinical trials.

There are vaccine trials in phase 1 but people I have spoken to about a vaccine still say 15-20 years for one on the market unless a massive breakthrough occurs unexpectedely

OMG I rhink even the last person has by now understood that Dee123 is at best a troll and at worst a delusional lunatic.

Ignore the guy or he will never shut up. It's like hitting a dead body with a stick: 'look he moves!' anyway...

I think delusional troll sounds about right :o

I think delusional troll sounds about right :o

put up or shut up :D