Visa Extension by Marriage - No Longer Online Appointments - Chiang Mai

Just a heads up:

I went online to schedule my Non-O visa extension/spouse 145 days in advance (45 before expiration  and 100 before that). The Chiang Mai Immigration online appointment site no longer has a visa extensions for family (spouse/marriage) selection, only retirement,  volunteer, education and business.

So, I went to immigration and asked why. I was told all online spouse extension appointments are not available and have been booked A YEAR IN ADVANCE. I was given no other explanation, and there is no way for an individual to book a year in advance. 

Amazing Thailand. 

CM Immigration.jpg

Edited by lifeincnx
changes copy based on included image
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

When did you try to book? I did mine a couple of weeks ago, booked online a couple of weeks before that. Not sure how you think you van book that far in advance, normally they let you book online about 1 month before, no way could I ever book 100 or 145 days in advance. (You used to have to sit up until midnight 30 days before you wanted the queue appointment as they were usually fully booked in a few minutes 30 days ahead. This year had been the easiest to get an appointment, could pick almost any day within the 30 days, and about 4 appointments per day - I thought the site wasn't working as normally it is full)

Something has definitely changed, you are correct, the marriage extension has disappeared from their site. I'd give it a week and see if it changes back again, they probably arsed something up on the site and might put it right once they wake up )don't hold your breath)

The Lamphun site is still offering all of the marriage appointments, got to be something to do with the incompetence at CM - These people amaze me, they spend years in a total mess, they eventually get a system that works then go and totally F@#$ it up again!

I checked the Lamphun site and it is the same as CM used to be, you can only select the current month or next month, there is no option to book anything further than April.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Like 2

Two years ago one could book an appointment online up to 145 days in advance.  Last year I missed that,  and nothing was available 60, 45, or 30 days in advance. So I went in early, just like the old days but no middle of the night nonsense, and the process wasn't too bad. 

I was just hoping to avoid that mess again but it looks as though they are either forcing it or it is just a site FUBAR. 

Last year, as always  I planned on a date 30 days in advance of my yearly stay at CM and checked the appointment page...I did this almost 2 months  in advance and the only appointment date open was the day before my year stay was due!  So, I booked that but also at 30 days went to CM immigration and did the year stay with no problem and only spent less than 75 minutes at immigration totat so I guess if one has an appointment, they indicate a period to process that in less than half an hour.  As compared to what it used to be with some people queuing up at midnight to get a queue ticket for that day and sometimes even coming at Zero dark thirty, one could not get in to be processed that same day.  So, basically I have no complaints with even a couple of hours wait if necessary but I haven't had to spend more than 75 minutes or so the past couple of years doing my yearly extension.  I just get tired of the 90-day dependability of the online process and hope that goes away, and the undependable landlord TM30 reporting.  Other than that don't really have any complaints about immigration.  Not perfect but then my other choice would be to go back to the US - no choice as far as I am concerned...still happier here for sure.

17 hours ago, Formaleins said:

When did you try to book? I did mine a couple of weeks ago, booked online a couple of weeks before that. Not sure how you think you van book that far in advance, normally they let you book online about 1 month before, no way could I ever book 100 or 145 days in advance. (You used to have to sit up until midnight 30 days before you wanted the queue appointment as they were usually fully booked in a few minutes 30 days ahead. This year had been the easiest to get an appointment, could pick almost any day within the 30 days, and about 4 appointments per day - I thought the site wasn't working as normally it is full)

Something has definitely changed, you are correct, the marriage extension has disappeared from their site. I'd give it a week and see if it changes back again, they probably arsed something up on the site and might put it right once they wake up )don't hold your breath)

The Lamphun site is still offering all of the marriage appointments, got to be something to do with the incompetence at CM - These people amaze me, they spend years in a total mess, they eventually get a system that works then go and totally F@#$ it up again!

I checked the Lamphun site and it is the same as CM used to be, you can only select the current month or next month, there is no option to book anything further than April.

I booked my April appointment for CM in January, and was lucky to get that as all the dates and times bar one had already been booked.

Just checked the online appointment calendar and:

(1)  Seems there is one slot open at this very moment on April 15th and several on May 14th (which is 90th day out).

(2)  Every time I've checked since they brought back the appointment system (in last 2 years?), the maximum time out has been 90 days (under the prior system, you could make an appointment much farther out).

Looks like either that almost all the available time slots have been spoken for or perhaps there's currently a glitch in the system.

Edited by CMBob

Could someone please post an online link to Chiang Mai Immigration for booking 1 year retirement extension appointments? 

It would be great if we could do the whole process online, but that's probably not going to happen. 

I have always walked in to the Immigration Office without a prior appointment and been served the same day although on the last occasion(Sept 2023)  I had to wait 6 hours before being served . Is a prior appointment now a requirement?

18 hours ago, Maybole said:

I have always walked in to the Immigration Office without a prior appointment and been served the same day although on the last occasion(Sept 2023)  I had to wait 6 hours before being served . Is a prior appointment now a requirement?

People make appointments so they don't have to wait six hours in the Immigration Office.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:44 PM, Formaleins said:

THIS spot  on