Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Help! Previously married to Thai, divorced in UK, wants to remarry in Thailand

Hi, I’m a British citizen, I was married to a Thai national in 2008 via a Thai Marriage, and divorced in 2016 via the UK courts. I have copies of the Decree Nisi and Decree Absolute. I’m looking to marry my fiancé and arrange for her to come live in the UK with me.

I understand that a Thai marriage is recognised in the UK, however is a divorce of that marriage in the UK courts recognised in Thailand? 

I have not seen or spoken to my ex-wife since the divorce so I have no idea of her current location, so getting anything from her to support is likely to be impossible.

I’m due to travel to Thailand in May to get married so time is somewhat of the essence. If I can’t get married then at a minimum I would like to get the divorce finalised in the Thai legal system, if that is even possible without my ex-wife?

The visa agent has suggested that I get the divorce documents certified by the Thai Embassy in the UK. Will this register the divorce in Thailand? I live 200 miles (320km) from London so it’s not ideal but can be done if required (and I can get an appointment!)

Any help, advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Edited by micksmall
  • Haha 1

Best to check with the local municipality (known as Amphur) where you got married to see if the divorce was registered, you can then request a copy of the divorce paper (I think it is red or green coloured) you will need this to prove that you are divorced when re marrying in Thailand. You are leaving things a bit late to do all this. I would not contact the ex, why make trouble? Maybe pay a lawyer to sort the papers? Ask Siam legal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

“A second marriage is a triumph of hope over experience.”

Samuel Johnson

My second marriage was great thank you.

First marriage was training for me. Didn't make the same mistakes in the second one.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

^^^^^ Op, ignore the naysayers, they're the same negative lot that always has nothing useful to say. You do what you think is right for you.

AFAIK, Your ex doesn't come into this. You have legit divorce papers from the UK which is what is wanted by the UK embassy to get an affirmation to say you are free to marry. Your girlfriend also needs her divorce papers (if previously married). Read the link:

Where do you want to get married? - Getting married abroad - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Everything can be done in a day if you are fully prepared!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

From what I can gather, it's similar to the Philippines.  You get a divorce in your home country (with paper work to prove it) and it will be accepted in the country which you got married in. 

The Philippines reluctantly do this but it is accepted there. 

Not sure if Thailand requests a letter of no-impediment from your home country.  Basically it's a letter that clears you to get married. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madgee said:

^^^^^ Op, ignore the naysayers, they're the same negative lot that always has nothing useful to say. You do what you think is right for you.

AFAIK, Your ex doesn't come into this. You have legit divorce papers from the UK which is what is wanted by the UK embassy to get an affirmation to say you are free to marry. Your girlfriend also needs her divorce papers (if previously married). Read the link:

Where do you want to get married? - Getting married abroad - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Everything can be done in a day if you are fully prepared!

This is the correct answer so ignore the others. Go to the UK embassy with your divorce papers and they issue the correct document indicating you are free to marry.

• Like 1