Proposed Income Taxation

Has the UK Embassy or Consulate arranged a meeting with Thai tax authorities to obtain some clarification regarding the new tax legislation ?

It would be appreciated as we are currently in limbo.

Most relevant would be regarding pensions and the double tax agreement.

Does this exist ??

I would guess that well over half of expats living in Thailand have no clue or any credible information regarding this, which could become a major problem in January.

Thank You

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

I thought they read this forum (or at least this part)

If you haven't already done so perhaps start with this  -

I personally don't, after seeing the Swiss attempt, see any benefit in getting them involved. Especially as they are just as unlikely to have any specific knowledge.

There is also a much longer thread in the news forum with a multitude of scenarios discussed in great detail. Have you ever looked at that?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Has the UK Embassy or Consulate arranged a meeting with Thai tax authorities to obtain some clarification regarding the new tax legislation ?

Not while there are diversity conferences to organize.

Can you think of one thing or initiative - just one - that the Embassy has done for the great mass of resident British expatriates who are not influential or connected? They don't even attempt to keep a record of those resident.They would respond by saying consular services are available which is true but I am thinking more of specific initiatives to support local British citizens.Unlike other Western countries this aspect is of no interest to them.

Example? Think back to Covid and how the Embassy ignored hundreds of very worried elderly expatriates when vaccines were problematic.Just fatuous high level representations.Eventually the British Chamber had to step in.

Edited by jayboy
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why don't you contact the embassy and request clarification. 

This is the Q&A, Ask the Consular Team forum, but I don't think the consular team are still reading it, although (AFAIK) it was them that started it.

Nothing more recent than 2020 on its pages.

EDIT: Correction, the consular team has posted recently.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Most relevant would be regarding pensions and the double tax agreement.

The UK state pension is not included in the DTA. So yes you could end up paying tax on it here in Thailand. Having looked at The Thai RD regs. With all the allowances they give. You probably won't pay tax if for example you were to bring upto 600,000 THB. Above this you would probably pay some tax.  

25 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

The UK state pension is not included in the DTA. So yes you could end up paying tax on it here in Thailand. Having looked at The Thai RD regs. With all the allowances they give. You probably won't pay tax if for example you were to bring upto 600,000 THB. Above this you would probably pay some tax.  

Doubtful that the UK State Pension will be taxable here since it arises in the UK and in many cases is the subject of a UK tax return (where additional UK sourced income is also received).

Typically, 500k is a reasonable level of TEDA for most over 65 year olds, 600k would assume wife, children and other TEDA elements such as insurance etc. THB 500k = 11k Pounds +, at normal exchange rate levels it will be very close to the UK PA of 12,750.

Lastly, don't expect any support our of the UK Embassy on this, the Swiss debacle was a one off.

Well, if the British Embassy either don't read this Q&A forum any longer, or just can't be bothered to respond, or don't care, can I suggest that they are removed from the forum. The only section of the British Consular Information that seems to be used is the Embassy's own trumpeting of their monthly "achievements".  I'm sure that the Embassy, as indeed seen during the covid crisis, don't actually care. One reason for this is that are not affected by any tax arrangements or agreements.  UK-based Embassy staff (diplomatic staff) are "exempt" from any Thai tax requirements, even their allowances for living in Thailand. Maybe we can ask them to transfer funds from the UK on our behalf, exempt from Thai tax regulations ? 

23 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Lastly, don't expect any support our of the UK Embassy on this, the Swiss debacle was a one off.

Probably not as I have mentioned elsewhere.Still hope beats eternal etc etc.

I don't know why you describe the session with the Swiss Ambassador and a very senior official from the Revenue Department as a "debacle", especially as I recall you didn't have the time or inclination to listen to it.It was very far from being a debacle:in fact the session was very illuminating.I and many others found it extremely useful especially as it's the only time a RD senior official has presented on the subject.

There are plenty of sources of information available on the subject.I had a long discussion with a senior banker who is following the expatriate tax issue very closely.His view is that there are many aspects which are very far from clarity.It seems sensible to wait and see and avoid any kind of prescriptive lecturing.He did mention that those who brought in funds before year end acted very sensibly.

• Thumbs Up 1