Nothing Good Usually Comes Easy

I say more power to all you British and American fellows who can bring their Thai girlfriends to their home country on a fiancee visa..particulary in England where the fiancee visa is good for 2 years prior to a review if they are not married at that point in time.Good on them,cheers boys!Us Canuckle - heads may have the Queen on our money,but our rules are more stringent vis a vis getting our girlfriends to visit Canada.Having said that,we were rejected on somewhat "appropriate" reasons..her letter from her employer in Thailand needs to be formalized by the government,an oversight on my part.I also asked her to write a letter stating specific reasons why she would return to Thailand after the visit to Canada.She didn't feel it was necessary(mine was not,however that is a different story),so I did not press her on it..turns out it would have helped a lot.I talked to an immigration lawyer after,and the person stated it would have helped,a lot!After the 4 hour process we both had headaches and stomach aches.I told her "it was my fault,I should have you before it would be a good idea to write that letter".Of course she knew I had told her previously,but I am not an "I told you so type of guy".She put her head on my shoulder in the taxi,and nothing needed to be said..except she said it was her fault.How far would I have gotten with her had I said.."I told you before"!...not far sir she said..At the beginning of my interview with the lawyer,the person stated that one of the concerns was that as she was financially looking after her family here in Thailand,she may pose a risk and just stay in Canada and send money back to Thailand.I said.."pardon me"??You see (Thai visa readers ) her family is very well off,and needs no assistance from her..I have visited their homes,and they are better(almost mansions)than my home in Vancouver(and mine is quite nice).Upon stating this,the lawyer was visibly agitated,turned a slight shade of red and left the interview room for a few minutes.Upon the lawyers return,the person(gender disclosure is uneccessary)said.."I was looking at the wrong file".In any case,we may apply again.Patience is a virtue,and I was a "little" frustrated,and I almost lost patience after that faux pas on the lawyer's part..bottom line ?? Cheers to the Brits who generally will have an easier time getting Ms. lovely (inside and out) home for bangers sausages and eggs...I almost have indigestion already..

I say more power to all you British and American fellows who can bring their Thai girlfriends to their home country on a fiancee visa..particulary in England where the fiancee visa is good for 2 years prior to a review if they are not married at that point in time.Good on them,cheers boys!Us Canuckle - heads may have the Queen on our money,but our rules are more stringent vis a vis getting our girlfriends to visit Canada.Having said that,we were rejected on somewhat "appropriate" reasons..her letter from her employer in Thailand needs to be formalized by the government,an oversight on my part.I also asked her to write a letter stating specific reasons why she would return to Thailand after the visit to Canada.She didn't feel it was necessary(mine was not,however that is a different story),so I did not press her on it..turns out it would have helped a lot.I talked to an immigration lawyer after,and the person stated it would have helped,a lot!After the 4 hour process we both had headaches and stomach aches.I told her "it was my fault,I should have you before it would be a good idea to write that letter".Of course she knew I had told her previously,but I am not an "I told you so type of guy".She put her head on my shoulder in the taxi,and nothing needed to be said..except she said it was her fault.How far would I have gotten with her had I said.."I told you before"!...not far sir she said..At the beginning of my interview with the lawyer,the person stated that one of the concerns was that as she was financially looking after her family here in Thailand,she may pose a risk and just stay in Canada and send money back to Thailand.I said.."pardon me"??You see (Thai visa readers ) her family is very well off,and needs no assistance from her..I have visited their homes,and they are better(almost mansions)than my home in Vancouver(and mine is quite nice).Upon stating this,the lawyer was visibly agitated,turned a slight shade of red and left the interview room for a few minutes.Upon the lawyers return,the person(gender disclosure is uneccessary)said.."I was looking at the wrong file".In any case,we may apply again.Patience is a virtue,and I was a "little" frustrated,and I almost lost patience after that faux pas on the lawyer's part..bottom line ?? Cheers to the Brits who generally will have an easier time getting Ms. lovely (inside and out) home for bangers sausages and eggs...I almost have indigestion already..

I'm a little lost by your patient explanation, do I understand the lawyer was acting for you and loused up your application? If so I'm amazed at yor calm.

Just to put the record straight on your comment about taking a fiancee to UK. If she wants to visit, as your fiancee does to Canada, then she applies for a visitors visa (it will give her upto 6 months before returning), if she wants to marry and live in UK she applies for a Fiancee visa (she must then marry within 6 months and apply to extend her stay)

I know nothing about getting a Canadian visa but it looks like if you do it yourself and put all your ducks in a row addressing the reasons for refusal you must be a cert next time. Good luck with it.

Sorry to hear you didn't succeed cognos

But don't think it is easy to get a visa for the UK (as Mahout says above). We failed the first time (before i knew about Thai Visa). Then with the help of the good people on this forum we where successful the second time.

Sorry to hear about your problem, Cognos. No offense, but I'm not surprised at the outcome. A TRV to canada generally requires a Thai to have

1) a decent job

2) a decent savings account

3) ownership of a home

4) a letter of invitation from a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

To get the marriage visa you have to marry her in Thailand and then return to Canada to sponsor her. But I guess you knew that.

Good luck going forward.

Edited by expatwannabe