China Eastern Flight review Bangkok London Gatwick March 17th....The good the bad

Thanks for that. We'll worth considering. I'll try to find out from my agent how much a return ticket to London is from BKK. I'd rather share with a planeful of Chinese than a planeful of Brit mongers any day of the week.

• Like 1

Just now, Denim said:

Thanks for that. We'll worth considering. I'll try to find out from my agent how much a return ticket to London is from BKK. I'd rather share with a planeful of Chinese than a planeful of Brit mongers any day of the week.

Have to say overall they were well behaved...no real issue at all very quiet onboard

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

I flew Sheena Eastern a few weeks ago , Gatwick to CM with a Shang Mai stop over .

509 Quid return flight , although the flight could be gotton for about 450 if booked further in advance 

yep no issue on pricing clearly

35 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Have to say overall they were well behaved...no real issue at all very quiet onboard

Another positive is that as Sheena Eastern are not a national airline , the staff weren't so formal , more relaxed and chilled out

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

try it in late September when the new intake of Uni students are flying to UK ..... noisy pandemonium ... I did it once out of Pudong 2 weeks after 9/11 .....   At check i'm thinking this is going to be a shocker ..... then out of the blue got upgraded to 1st ... which id never experienced before or since ...  I was pretty much poured off the plane after propping up the Bar for most of the flight and downing 3 bottle of Pouilly-Fumé ... ... mind you my single ticket had just cost £600 , as I was determined not to fly back via Pakistan when id been just before 9/11 ...

Edited by Chetzee
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I flew Sheena Eastern a few weeks ago , Gatwick to CM with a Shang hai stop over .

Would it cost more to make it a 2 night stop over ?

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Would it cost more to make it a 2 night stop over ?

That was a stop over in Shanghai .

I was going from London to Shanghai to Chiang Mai then to Chiang Rai .

Cheaper tickets don't seem to be able to do stop overs or open returns , so you would have to get two one ways 

Saying that , some of the stop overs were 32 hour stop overs 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rexpotter said:

Nice novel, but where was the bad?

Point taken. I think I've underplayed how pretty shight awful Pudong was as an experience

Unpleasant but 95% would take it in its stride I guess

One lady kept close to me who was clearly nervous and she asked me twice If I knew where I was going. I answered yes even though I wasnt exactly sure we were lol

Forget to add the final part

I got tugged at Customs lol

Asked where I'd been answered politely no place for saracsm. All the usual questions with me grabbing checked bag key but he waved it away anyway

One question stood out......"How much cash are you carrying and is it more than £1000"

Polite response of zero Sterling and 11.000 in Thai baht to which I immediately said less than £300

On your way Sir..... I said casually rare for me to get stopped and his answer was unusual......pointing at my hand luggage leather style briefcase he said "because of style of that bag"

Most unusual I thought.... Notwithstanding didnt look in either not that there was anything there shouldnt have been anyway

5 hours ago, treetops said:

How many hours travel from LGW to BKK?   That's a big thing for many.

It was 3.30 up to Pudong and 12.20 to Gatwick total 15 hours 50 miniutes

Transit was nominal  in fact with the messing around trying to find where we going plus the idiocy at bag scanners the flight had already boarded for 2nd sector and was waiting for the sole connecting flight (ours)......10 minutes after boarding we were away

The actual air time was less than Singapore on Christmas day with the hop to Changi plus the even longer leg to Heathrow

Having done Cathay and Malaysia I know the same applies if you route that way

I totally acknowledge its a long air time nonetheless

Look at it another way. I'm not poor but comparing fares to Eva and Thai I was "effectively" paid £100 and hour for 3 hours for sitting on that flight compared to having paid the £520 ish on Thai or Eva

I flew China Eastern out of LAX back around 2017.  Worse flight and airline ever.  Ok, the price was why I took a chance.  It was $558rtn.  Left LAX on time and arrived Shanghai.  Short wait for the connection and then boarded.  Flight was taking an hour.  Ok, I go back to sleep.  Wake up about five hours later..............and we are still on the ground in the plane.  Finally after sitting on the plane for seven hours we leave after a slight "mechanical" issue was resolved.  No food or water served that I know of during that time.  Once the flight was airborne they give us some type of sack lunch.  Very crappy it was.  Arrive in Bangkok much later than expected.  Go to baggage claim and wait for bags......and wait some more.....and wait some more.  Finally, the belt stops and that's it.  Have to go file forms for bags not delivered.  I then get a taxi and take it to my house.  The next day they contact me and tell me that the bags will be delivered.  That afternoon a broken down looking truck arrives and has my bag.  That's great, where's the other one?  Oops, no have.  Can't blame them as it looks like it got subcontracted out.  Call China eastern and explain to them I'm still missing a bag.  They tell me they will check and call me back.  Two hours later they call.  They tell me that the bag will be on the next flight.  Bag shows up the next day.  Everything was there, nothing missing.  So yes, I won't ever be taking that airline again.  

20 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I flew China Eastern out of LAX back around 2017.  Worse flight and airline ever.  Ok, the price was why I took a chance.  It was $558rtn.  Left LAX on time and arrived Shanghai.  Short wait for the connection and then boarded.  Flight was taking an hour.  Ok, I go back to sleep.  Wake up about five hours later..............and we are still on the ground in the plane.  Finally after sitting on the plane for seven hours we leave after a slight "mechanical" issue was resolved.  No food or water served that I know of during that time.  Once the flight was airborne they give us some type of sack lunch.  Very crappy it was.  Arrive in Bangkok much later than expected.  Go to baggage claim and wait for bags......and wait some more.....and wait some more.  Finally, the belt stops and that's it.  Have to go file forms for bags not delivered.  I then get a taxi and take it to my house.  The next day they contact me and tell me that the bags will be delivered.  That afternoon a broken down looking truck arrives and has my bag.  That's great, where's the other one?  Oops, no have.  Can't blame them as it looks like it got subcontracted out.  Call China eastern and explain to them I'm still missing a bag.  They tell me they will check and call me back.  Two hours later they call.  They tell me that the bag will be on the next flight.  Bag shows up the next day.  Everything was there, nothing missing.  So yes, I won't ever be taking that airline again.  

Experience differs for us all no matter what airline we fly

Have to say having added the 3 most recent carriers to my total list of London Bkk (or reverse) now at 29 different airlines I've never had a very bad experience that springs to mind with any

It might be argued that Tarom lost an aircraft with all onboard in 94/95 that I had been aboard just a week before but it would be churlish to include it

• 4 weeks later...

Out of interest referring back to my OP China Eastern never did respond to my Twitter and FB messenger requests close on 4 weeks ago

Thank christ for having an agent on the ball